40mile Daily Commute......£1000 to spend...recommendations?

Thread in 'Other Chat' started by Shane_s, Aug 23, 2013.

1. Shane_s

Shane_s Member

Alrite lads and ladies, looking for ideas on a decent car to buy for commuting to work and back.

Looking for something with a decent economy really, diesel or petrol, rwd or Fwd.

Been looking at e46 320d, 325, mondeo 2.0tdci, golf, bora, passat 1.9tdi.

Wouldn't mind a petrol car just been focused on diesels in my search for some reason.

Cheers,
    Shane

2. mk1rob

mk1rob Member

i payed £500 for a mondeo estate and it was awesome. regular trips to france and spain and it never missed a beat. also quite nice to drive for a diesel estate.

3. modfather

modfather Member

I brought a Mitsubishi charisma`s for under £500 and have done very well doing around 1000 miles per month. is good on petrol to even know its a 1.6

4. LongR

LongR Active Member

You cant go wrong with a passat,golf , polo depending on the size of the car you are looking for.
    If you want to spend 1k you will easly buy it. If you find 110bhp one they are mostly bullet proof and even 200k miles is nothing...

5. eg-iain

eg-iain Member

Reault Clio DCI!!

I have one its getting 57mpg its 60quid to fill the tank and its low insurance group and also the best bit £30 tax for 12 months! Great daily

6. Shane_s

Shane_s Member

Ya mate a few mondeo iv looked at look nice, high spec ex company cars etc, did you go for the 2.0tdci? If do what mpg you getting back?

Never really looked at any mitsubishis, may have a look, if I spend less than 500 it'll be a wrecker for me but if I spend the 1k imma look for Sumat a big decent.

Ya mate if been told go for the 110, been looking at a few, mainly passats and boras as I'm 6ft 8" so want people in the back to actually have space with my seating position!ha

What kind of year Clio you have mate, how much they going for? I have the standard hate of french cars from dealing with my Gf's 206. What they like on reliability? And as said above I'm 6ft 8" so dno if I'd just go nuts driving a Clio every day!

7. Forshaw

Forshaw Member

Golf - fairly decent size, good economy, nice to drive, for that money you would be in a mk4 1999 - 2005 ish, somewhere in the 100k mark miles, reliable as long as its been well looked after - i work for volkswagen so would advise any of them really, polos good but the diesel will go on for longer. good luck

8. woods1

woods1 Active Member

Personally I would never in my life buy a vag car. 5 of my mates had golfs, the always broke, coil packs fail, window regs breaking. Mate had a bora and water pump went shit, another mate had a passat, ecu failed, engine management light was on constant, had to have a reconned engine. Another mate bought a 58 plate polo gti, writhin 5k rad failed, kept going into Limp mode.

I'm in the exact same place where I'm now doing 60 miles a day to work and il looking at around 700 quid on a daily and I'm either going to get a vectra estate, citreon xsara, or a 406. All diesel and all will do 50+ mpg easy.

9. rob0r

rob0r Member

406 hdi

10. turbopaul

turbopaul Active Member

Just because it's for commuting doesn't mean it has to be boring... I do about 50 mile round trip for work in my Mk2 MR2 NA...properly comfortable, excellent mile muncher but also fun and handles awesomly for a bit of B road blasting, and economy isn't bad at about 35mpg if driven sensibly. And you can get a decent one for a grand if you look around and they're reliable as fuck.

11. eg-iain

eg-iain Member

Mine is a 2004 clio you can get a rough one for £1000 Good/ok one for £1500 i would say. At that high might be a bit small or people behing you will have no leg room haha..

However i'm averaging 60.2 mpg for town and motorway driving in total, and mine has a/c, volume controls on steering and comfy seats :D

12. Khmer

Khmer Guest

ls2 VE holden/vauxhall/GM with 6 speed.... idles at 100km/h

more economic than your nans 1.8 cruising at 3000rpm.

13. Rossc0

Rossc0 Diesel Skidder

I got a 2003 Volvo v40 1.9d sport a month ago for £1000 as my new daily. Cant fault it at all, it's awesome

14. andystrat

andystrat Member

for bit of cheap fun id get an mx5 1.8

15. caesard

caesard New Member

You are 6" 8? Damn man, you need a Mitsubishi Legnum vr4. Big enough for you, twin turbocharged with almost 300hp and best of all, does 35mpg easy. Had pressed to find one under 1 grand though.

16. Khmer

Khmer Guest

ahaha... vr4.

cant be srs, with its lame ass td025 turbos with compressor and turbine fans the size of a us dollar coin?

convert the shit house, way too early boosting twins to a single garrett t04z or holset hx40 running 10 psi, make it a lag monster, dont hit boost and your fuel economy will be great.

oh and replace every oil seal... oh, take the intake manifold off to change spark plugs.

17. Rubix_Cube

Rubix_Cube Member

A4 TDI.... love mine. Best Daily I've ever had.

18. Big.D

Big.D Member

My dad picked up a bora for £750 and i drove it the other day and it was a lovely drive it didn't miss a beat. From what I've read its pretty much a golf parts wise just with a different body.

19. MR.T

MR.T DRIFT RETARDED

Mk4 golf or bora 1.9tdi.

sounds gay but I loved my 03 honda jazz, was actually a really good lil car, tons of room, 48 mpg and handled alright for what it was. After 3 years it never gave me one problem

20. FireStorm999

FireStorm999 Active Member

My astra 1.8 sri with cruise control :D