S14A with bmw 540 v8 conversion.

Thread in 'Technical Questions' started by Dantagonist, Sep 30, 2013.

1. Stavros

Stavros Active Member

2 things here-

1- Why are they shit and will never amount to anything?

2- Power isn't the reason people do it. Having a ca or sr that makes much more power than a bog standard BMW engine is easy. Having a ca or sr that makes much more power and doesn't need constant tinkering and repairs, even smaller things like leaks and misfires, that constantly happen with the massive abuse of track drifting is another thing entirely.

2. yogi bear

yogi bear Active Member

They are a shit option IMO due to cost, cost of tuning, and the time/effort of fitting one over the perfectly capable, (perhaps not the most reliable option) cheap to tune, cheap to repair sr or ca that comes with the car anyway.
    I am not a sr bummer that thinks they are the be all and end all. Far from it.
    It's a no brainer for me. If you guys think its a viable option then so be it, your car, your choice. But for me, any engine conversion needs to be massively advantageous over the stock motor for me to consider it.

3. dustyjake

dustyjake Member

The other thing a v8 has over a small turbo engine is torque, its like skid cheat mode this is why they are superior.

4. tintin89

tintin89 Member

the noise they make......that is all.

5. royal

royal S1- F.T break!

....that must be why all the euro boys come over here and kick arses with their BMW engines then?

6. kam

kam I've touched Chris Parry

I agree too, no way would I change an SR for a BMW V8.

BUT, people are allowed to have their own opinion and do what they want :wack:

7. Darek

Darek Member

But is not a lot s14 v8 and that is cool

8. kieran_e1

kieran_e1 In need of practice

thats why they all have barge bars and bumper supports that look like something from death race. we should copy that too :)

9. dustyjake

dustyjake Member

Sort of irrelevant to royals comment no?

10. turbokick

turbokick Member

Just maybe he likes to have good amount of midrange torque - so nice for drifting IMO...
    When a tuned ca18det/sr20det offers the reliability (something quite important for track use, IMO) of a BMW V8 you can call me...

#30 turbokick, Oct 5, 2013
    Last edited: Oct 5, 2013
  11. NORFY

NORFY Active Member

Mine took alot of time and effort to get into my 13 chassis because im a pickey fucker that wanted certain things in certain places, the s14 conversion is much easier, just as easy as a jz conversion.

True there isnt a lot of tuning parts available unless you want to spend thousands.

The fact it that they produce enough power for most drivers out there. And its so nice being able to drive the car to track have no issues or worries whilst I hammer it around and then at the end of the day I know I can drive it home, never had that with a ca/sr. The m5 gearbox is solid and will handle the power so no need to worry about that, no need to worry about anything along a turbo system, these engines are pretty basic compared.

Dont get me wrong, I still love the sr/ca and am running one in my daily, I wouldn't swap it out because it suits the application

12. Dantagonist

Dantagonist Member

My reason for doing it is because I keeping breaking sr's
    I have very little time to be hands on and fixing between drift days. Ultimately the v8 will be bullet proof.

I will miss clutch kicking though!

13. Benzo

Benzo Member

Hi Mate,

Have you started a thread about your S14 conversion? what way are the guys working the sump setup on these?

14. Clive

Clive Active Member

My v8 complete conversion was cheaper then I sold my stock sr20 gear for.

I would never pay what people are now a'days. It ain't worth that.

Car keeps up with 400bhp cars easy, grip or drift. Its the Power delivery.

Its surprised a few people I'll tell you that now :)