Advice regarding part bought, that's turned out to be not as described.

Thread in 'Other Chat' started by Slamz, Nov 9, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Slamz

Slamz Member

Hi all Just after a bit of advice really. My gearbox developed a horrendous whine at Lydden, and due to me driving my car daily I bought a gearbox off of here not long ago, was advertised as 'fully reconditioned' and I was told many times it had no problems when I collected it. I finally got round to fitting it today (along with a new clutch/release bearing) and discovered it also has a loud whine. I'm being told by the seller that because SR gearboxes are prone to whining (something I know anyway) I should have expected it. Now, firstly what would anyone elses thoughts be if this happened to them? And Secondly, clearly it can't have been fully reconditioned if they didn't change the input shaft bearing? I've contacted the guy and said if he pays for a bearing, I'll get it fitted at my expense, and that will be that, but he's not prepared to even do this to help out. I feel I'm being pretty fair about this? Thanks

EDIT: box also has a rattle in 3rd and a slight one in 2nd at low rpm. Box was bought from 'ChrisS14' on here, aka Chris Hawker from Maidstone area, Kent.

#1 Slamz, Nov 9, 2013
    Last edited: Nov 14, 2013
  2. twiglett

twiglett Active Member

in the advert does it say it was fully reconditioned or parts were replaced where needed?

3. Slamz

Slamz Member

Yep, says fully reconditioned, never crunches etc. and he told me that anything that needed changing was changed. But clearly not everything was...

4. twiglett

twiglett Active Member

you need evidence that it has a whine and that its bad enough to be a gearbox bearing failure.
    was the spigot bearing new?
    my box has a whine that hasn`t got any worse in the 10 months i`ve owned it.
    how much is it going to cost to strip the box and replace the bearing? including oil`s and labour time it might not be worth it if its just a slight whine.
    are you sure its the input shaft bearing?

5. Adam-MGTF

Adam-MGTF Member

depends how it was paid for, if you have proof of payment etc. you need legal advice really. but unless you have a receipt which states it's a re-built box your probably out of luck

6. Ruishy1

Ruishy1 Active Member

if the box is whining and it was described as reconditioned then he was feeding you bullshit

7. Slamz

Slamz Member

Everything engine side has been checked, and noise stops when clutch is depressed. The car's a daily, so I don't particularly want it whining, and as it was sold as fully reconned, I expect it to be quiet. And if it's the input shaft bearing I can change it myself, but if it's the countershaft it;s another story.

8. C1arke

C1arke Member

Stops when clutch is pressed thats the release bearing then

9. David Reid

David Reid RB30 Charger

How much was it?

If you only paid £200 ish I don't think you can expect it to have had every part that is subject to wear changed

10. Clive

Clive Active Member

No its not.

Have a think of how it works!

11. Slamz

Slamz Member

The clutch release bearing has been changed, it's not that. I paid £260 for it, I know it's a second hand box, but when I'm told it's fine and then find out it whines as badly as my old box, the fact he's lied is what annoys me. If he had said it has a whine, I wouldn't have bought it! Also the sellers attitude of 'I've got your money, I don't give a fuck now' takes the piss. I've now got 2 boxes with the same problem, but I'm over £400 down due to buying a new clutch, new oil, and paying a mate to help fit it/borrow his ramp.

12. gaz_moose

gaz_moose .MTM.

since when were sr box's worth £260?

13. Slamz

Slamz Member

I paid that for it as it had apparently been refurbished, done one BDC round, then removed with no problems. Something that was clearly a lie.

14. tangerine

tangerine New Member

It's a disgrace wit ppl advertise as reconditioned just to get rid of it, happened to me wit a turbo wit no shaft pal nd it nearly feel out of it when I opened the box nd ya man just wouldn't reply to my email. Gimp.

15. Slamz

Slamz Member

Well, the box also appears to have a rattle in 3rd and slightly in 2nd at low rpm, box was bought from 'ChrisS14' on here, aka Chris Hawker from the Maidstone area in Kent, so take from that what you want.

#15 Slamz, Nov 14, 2013
    Last edited: Nov 14, 2013
  16. Liam.

Liam. Active Member

You said you picked it up ? Could you not take it back to his house ? I find people are a lot less likely to ignore you when you are parked on there drive .

17. Slamz

Slamz Member

Picked it up from a unit, one I'm sure isn't owned by him, and I don't know when he's going to be there, so not going for an hour drive there to find it empty.

18. chrisS14

chrisS14 Member

After having a long conversation with you the other day (about 6 weeks after you bought the box) I feel i should probably respond here too.

Firstly, i paid for the reconned gearbox from a reputable company. Fitted it, drove it for a very short period and it felt fine to me. Took it out. Sold it to yo for a lot less than it cost me. AS I HAVE SAID A NUMBER OF TIMES - THIS IS NOT A LIE.

I sold the gearbox as a reconned one, not a new one.

You seem to have been saying things on here that i have not said, in the hope of making me look bad. Im sure many people on here know me and know that i would not lie or try and deceive you out of money.

As for the "i have your money i dont give a fuck" attitude you seem to have given me. I would have thought after the majority of sat night talking to you about this situation for more than an hour this would have shown you that i definitely dont have this attitude.

Once again im sorry you feel this way but as i have already discussed with you i dont think i can justify giving you £50 towards your noise.

19. Andy_F

Andy_F S13+S15=S28?

Ok, I'm going to close this for now so the two of you can come to a proper solution together as this doesn't need discussing in public. Please let me know if either of you require it to be re-opened.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.