zenki s14 build

Thread in 'Project Cars and Builds Threads' started by decobyrne106, Jul 17, 2011.

1. cuzzfd3s...

cuzzfd3s... Member

2. decobyrne106

decobyrne106 Member

Oh boy oh boy where do i start with this, it's been a very long time since this was updated so keep that in mind it might not be in order :p
    From what i can gather it goes as follows
    Since the last update ive got a cage in the car which i then painted white and put carbon strips on the door bars which came up a treat :cool:
    I also fitted a Greddy Profec B boost controller all went smoothly with no hicups thank god. I also had to move my pillar gauges to the centre and i fitted a proper FIA cut off as the last one was a pain in the rowlers.
    Heres a few pics
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    I also got the clutch replaced and a braided clutch line.
    The problem with the car was the release bearing seized from heat, twisted off the clutch fork and had no clutch, in the mean time the release bearing was spinning doing it's own thing and broke a collar off a plate just inside the bell housing.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    luckily enough after a bit of contacting i got a replacement part from jay rockett at DI Motorsport and i also got a rear section of a prop with a good carrier bearing as mine was fairly shot so big thanks to him!
    While the cage was being fitted and most of bits were takin out i rotated my cylinder on the hydro as it wore my big elbows a fair bit :p
    [​IMG]
    I fitted some Ebc yellow stuff pads and some rear anti roll bar mount bushes from superpro.
    I painted my rocker cover the same as my blue 17'' wheels and is rocking a autolifers sticker to set it off a bit (see what i did there)
    [​IMG]

3. decobyrne106

decobyrne106 Member

After all that i went i booked a private day at goldstone with my good friend alan hynes for the second time lucky and that it was. big time!
    The car was flawless, from start to finish i never lifted the bonnet for a need to check anything the only thing i had to do was refit tyres which for the first time owning the car i came home with all of them completely shredded! :cool:
    I got alot of pics and a few incar vids which i give props to a friend of mine at irishraceandrally for coming along and doing more than brilliant!

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Heres some pics of alans s14, both of us be mad for the zenki's and shizzle
    For a man who had no brakes (and when i mean none i mean he had his foot to the floor and had no option but to stay going through the pit entrance and me in wonder as to why he was back early and went back again :shocked: )
    he was on a flyer with him doing the first day in his car, yet to see him go and iron out the problems!
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

- - - Updated - - -

So after the excellent day i had in the car i could now focus on some other things
    Summer was here, my leaving cert is over, and now the s14 should get some more quality time
    Stevo on here mentioned a driftday for driftireland to raise money for charity and i signed up straight away.
    So since the cage is in the car the passenger stock seat won't fit, so im getting the other fixed back i have modded to the stock rails fairly soon so passenger spins are looking possible.
    The steering lock on the car is stock, so i run out of it fairly fast and seem to get the hang of it. Plans are to sort that with some lovely extra lock nuckles, extended lca's and either move the rack or use offset rack spacers and tein tie rods.
    Ive never liked the fibreglass front wings, i did a crap job painting them, they were a bit rough the body line wasn't great as it was shaved down by a previous bright boy and i wanted to go back to stock wings. Randomly enough petert and i decided to swap. I rolled them, prepped them, primered them and stone chipped the entire inside of them and near the sill area and near the front where the bumper hides. All they need now is paint
    [​IMG]
    Giving the car a full service and i also decided to strip off the inlet manifild to clean it out aswell as the throttle bodie. In the long run i ended up taking everything i could off both parts of the inlet mani and give it a full clean and go over with some paint
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    I got a dmax roof spoiler from dorirory on here with super fast postage and good fitting product! yet to paint and fit but heres a mock up. Ive never seen a single pic of a zenki s14 with navan boot spoiler and dmax roof spoiler and im safe to say it looks like a good combo! photo below got on the s-chassis facebook page, was pretty happy to see it on there ;)
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    If you notice ive gotten rid of the what i know now as the cheesy as shit stickers on the windows but i kept the good ones

Plans are as follows for the drift day at goldstone in august 18th
    -Paint wings
    -Get passo seat mounted and extra harness fitted
    -Extra lock (not to fussed if not)
    -fit inlet mani and have all of the engine a good service with Lucas 10w60, oil filter, fuel filter and NGK BKR8EIX plugs
    -replace the exhaust which is yet for an update
    -Put spring catches on the wings holding the bumper which a friend of mine happily donated to me :D
    -Aero Catches that I purchased also
    hope to keep the updates flowing as much as i can :)

- - - Updated - - -

update but no pics but soon to follow.
    Got the inlet back on the car with all pipes etc and done the oil filter which was dead handy with the inlet off, fuel filter and new oil again with Lucas 10w60.

I didn't explain a ove as to why i took the inlet off so here goes.
    When i replaced the t25 that was on for the time being with a t28BB turbo i noticed there was alot of oil inside the intercooler pipes, found out there was a turbo in before the t25 and the seals went. I cleaned the intercooler and pipes but never did the inlet and it was bugging me since to check it.
    So after alot of degreaser and carb cleaner the throttle bodie got a full clean and go over and the inlet inside is now spotless as well as the fuel rail and everything else.
    Back together tonight and fingers crossed it would work and RESULT it does! Now the car should breath a bit better hopefully with all that effort.

While i was looking i noticed my engine mounts aren't particularly great so im going to get some engine and gearbox mounts off japspeed on the sxoc deal they do on them which if you don't know about the deals they do, get on it! 130 is delivered for engine and gearbox mounts which imo is pretty damn cheap compared to others!

4. decobyrne106

decobyrne106 Member

lets try bring this up to speed then

The wings i painted with cans from halfrauds and to my surprise, all the prep work on them worked a treat and they came out really good!
    [​IMG]

Friend of mine did a lovely job combining the normak seat rails with the solid mounts so i could move the seat back and forth, while that was done i prepped them and painted them and i got some silver paint and glitter laquer and tidied up my spare seat aswell which came out savage!
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

i purchased whiteline anti roll bars and links etc off of jay @ DiMotorsport, again gent to deal with and fast postage with everything described 100%. Fitting them was easy enough too. Really top quality piece of kit!
    (no pics of rear, don't know how i don't have pics of the rear but you get the idea)
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

gave the front bumper a going over with gloss, the matte wasn't really working. Fitted the spring catches, painted the roof spoiler and made some canards/splitter sides or whatever you may call em. heres how the car looked prior to goldstone
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

now onto goldstone. The day was awesome! Loads of faces showed up and it was nice to see a decent crowd at it and the day ran really smooth.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    The greaney's m3 powered 180sx was so awesome to see at the corner of my eye on my door the hole time!
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    I got to meet some people and give some passenger spins so was a really good day.

- - - Updated - - -

Friend of mine which you would have seen earlier in the thread with a red s14, we finally got to go out on track together and get some tandems going! Sadly theres no pics of it as of yet and there should be incar vids of it soon but it was just such a cool experience to go out and do some close drifting. However there is one video thats not too long and had to cut some things out of it but its better than nothing
    https://www.facebook.com/video/embed?video_id=535960209786720

(its a facebook video so not sure if everyone can view it)
    That run was short it was only the first time out, but the incar vids to come of maybe another 4 sessions of the same thing with longer on door action so watch this space.
    Last run of the day was cut short sadly. Out on track with alan and everything was going well, he spun i spun and i tapped my p/s door off him, that was fine but to my surprise another car came and hit my 1/4 and left a good hulk footprint in it
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    ''Sure thats rallyin'' as they say :p
    Ive 30mm quaters to come and the rear end is getting some gripfab attention. So onwards and upwards from here on in. Ive already started to collect some parts like rear lights etc.

5. decobyrne106

decobyrne106 Member

this has been copied and pasted of the progress off driftireland so sorry if its in a bit of a mess.

6. dannyhack

dannyhack Member

Some quality photos there mate. Makes me miss my 14 :(

7. decobyrne106

decobyrne106 Member

cheers dude!

- - - Updated - - -

A review of the drift day with clutch kick with some interesting photo's of my car thrown in there take a look
    http://www.clutchkick.net/2013/09/goldstone-drift-day/

8. decobyrne106

decobyrne106 Member

got pictures from gripfab. More will come when she gets home and i take her all apart again for painting. Amazed at how fast it got done big shout out to john for making light work of it i would recommend anyone to him for cages or any car prep!
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    notice my blocked and blowing back box is now gone for some shotguns :D

9. decobyrne106

decobyrne106 Member

Right, got the car back safe and sound. Really happy with the work done by the lads at grip fab hats off to them. They had strength and weight in mind when building it and it shows its a really strong structure on the back with low amounts of bars etc.
    I stripped the car of its rear panels now im going to prep for painting and such and do my own little touches but overall im really happy with it. Now to let the pics do the talking
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Now to just prep all the areas and paint it.
    Also thinking of removing the rear subframe and either building that one up or build another one. Ive traction and toe rods there i just need camber and to buy all the bushes. Full steam ahead from hear on!

10. Il-Lampuka

Il-Lampuka Member

11. decobyrne106

decobyrne106 Member

Threw everything back on today for final mock up.
    Drilled all the holes and used self tapping dome head black screws for using on the overfenders. Credit to Dori88 for telling me that trick as pop rivets hold them in too tight and more likely to crack them.
    I put on my filler cap, it needed a bit of modding to fit but it fits nicely in there now on the overfender. I might leave it shut all the time and re-route the filler neck underneath the boot lid as trying to keep it shut and locked and still being able to open is proving a bit of a pain.
    Oh and i had to throw on the numberplate, it just looks so out of place to me without it and with the kouki spoiler i think it adds a bit more mean-ness to the arse of the car. Now to try and get that going on in the front.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

- - - Updated - - -

Heres a few pics of the bumper bar bolted off a few people were interested to see what its like. Mine is 4 bolts on the chassis and 2 bolts on the intercooler
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

12. decobyrne106

decobyrne106 Member

Cheers dude!