e30 wheel tramping

Thread in 'Technical Questions' started by Tbone455ci, Nov 25, 2013.

1. Tbone455ci

Tbone455ci New Member

I have a e30 325 fitted with a 2.8, with BC coilovers, welded diff & poly bushes all round.

Get bad wheel tramping (wheel hop) when wheel spinning in sraight line especially when wheel spinning from stand still & it's worse in the wet?

Have tried different wheels tyres, settings on the rear shocks but still can't get rid of the tramping?

Any ideas, cheers

2. wigwambam

wigwambam Member

My MX5 has gotten really bad for this of late, think the diff mounts on mine might have gone flaccid. Don't know anything about E30 anatomy but on MX5s it seems to be play in the diff mountings that increases the trampiness.

3. Tbone455ci

Tbone455ci New Member

Cheers mate, I fitted powerflex bush on diff mount when I done the subframe Bushes, will have to check it hasn't worked loose.....

4. mat_91

mat_91 Member

sounds like diff/ subframe bushes are shagged or as i suspect poly bushes allowing movement where non should exist,

i run solid bushes in my e30 subframe which i also made to lift the subframe so i get nearly no camber even dispite being pretty low and stupid offset wheels and i tagged a e36 med case double wing diff cover with solid bushes for even less movement and results are i get no well hop just awesome predicable handling

and no extra road noise

so to recap fit solid bushes cure pretty much all e30 rear end problems in one simple easy move

oh and my e30
    [​IMG]

5. Tbone455ci

Tbone455ci New Member

Cheers Mat

I have lengthened the shocks. I removed the bottom shock bolt & jacked the spring up so it just takes the slack up.

I contacted BC & they suggested doing this.

I then had to lengthen the shock by about 2 inches to line up with the bolt hole.

This made a huge difference, the tramping is nearly gone, just a bit of a tremor now & then.

Ordered stiffer springs for the rear. Hopefully this will improve things even more.

When you say solid Bushes do u mean alley ones? like the Beema mate

6. mat_91

mat_91 Member

I can't work out what you've done there,
    And steel welded in the subframe and alloy welded into the diff housing

7. FAbity6032

FAbity6032 Member

Apparently you can adjust the length of the rear shocks on BC coilovers?

Anyway what I would like to know is what bushings I need to raise the subframe on my E36???
    Do you need to fabricate these yourself or are they also available in retail store's?

8. mat_91

mat_91 Member

e36s are gay

9. FAbity6032

FAbity6032 Member

Fine how do u modify the bushes so you lift the subframe on E30?

10. mat_91

mat_91 Member

It's very simple I shouldn't have to explain it

11. FAbity6032

FAbity6032 Member

You could have told me like 3 times already by now.. Tell me, where you abused as a child?

12. mat_91

mat_91 Member

Yes you are right i could of told you 3 times by now and im not going to now, go look at it and figure it out, it is very simple you might even get a smile by working something out yourself

but i will answer your other question, No i wasnt abused i just had a plain awesome childhood, i am sorry if you didnt

13. FAbity6032

FAbity6032 Member

Well I found some subframe risers for E30 but I need them for E36 so I guess I will just not lower my car so much. Also it is good to hear you enjoyed the butt-rape at such an early age.

14. mat_91

mat_91 Member

the gay jokes really dont impress me, come on this is dw step your insult game up please

15. bell

bell Without patience

you want to raise the subframe on an e36? are you queer? if you want to take the camber out on a 36 try fitting camber adjustable rear arms, which arent available for cumpacts or e30's.
    as for raising the subframe on an e30 its quite simple but im not explaing it either as you were obviously a traffic warden in a future life and your still taking a shaft now.

16. mat_91

mat_91 Member

bell your not shouldnt of told him that, just gave the game away, guess ill go troll else where now spoil sport

17. bell

bell Without patience

pahahaha

18. FAbity6032

FAbity6032 Member

You are such a faggot if you lower an e36 to much you are limited to toe out and I don't want that.