#ProjectGrandad e28 style

Thread in 'Project Cars and Builds Threads' started by Al_E11evens, Dec 28, 2013.

1. Al_E11evens

Al_E11evens Member

Hey guys just thought I'd make a start on this build thread.

Bought the car as it is really...[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

Been wanting one of these since I was a kid. Saw all the cool guys with big money cruising round in them when new haha, so when I saw this one locally I snapped at it.

As it is it's a 520 Auto 3 speed beasta! Barely got over 65mph on the m4 with the slut!

Gonna need some changes before Betsy goes out to play. I have an m30 waiting with a gearbox from a good buddy (Cal up in Scotland with the Chizfab boys).

There are a few issues that I have to sort ie the small bits like door seals as they are leaking, interior and suspension. The coilovers for these are a tad over my budget at £800+ so thinking of having a set of custom springs made up at the right height I need.

Just waiting for one of my cars (Mx5) to sell so I can spend some on this...

Its a tad tough deciding the rough to take on the engine mods too... Whether it be the roaring of 6 sick carbs or the spooling of a large snail.

#1 Al_E11evens, Dec 28, 2013
    Last edited: Dec 28, 2013
  2. Kelvjy

Kelvjy Member

Fair play mate, if you plan on sliding it about m535i/m5 steering boxes are slightly quicker. I was in touch with a Latvian company that were going to do me the e28 Bc coilovers already welded to struts/hubs for about £680 + postage will try find the email...

3. Al_E11evens

Al_E11evens Member

Ah brill thanks my man. Think it'll need both of them as it's a bit of a boat ha!

4. Al_E11evens

Al_E11evens Member

Some thoughts of the route to go with this...

The Grandpa look on cool rims etc.
    [​IMG]

Or

Motorsport/Warsteiner style
    [​IMG]

#4 Al_E11evens, Jan 3, 2014
    Last edited: Jan 3, 2014
  5. Swamp

Swamp Member

Cool car, used to have one too in manual. The steering feel on these machines is superb, it uses an old pushrod style steering so by shorting the lever you can get masive lock for little money :)

6. Wolvo-Olie

Wolvo-Olie Member

Grandad spec all day err day!!

7. Al_E11evens

Al_E11evens Member

Ah really? many thanks for that dude ;)

Haha my thoughts too my man.

Looking forward as to when I get this engine out and the new little beast in... A collection of parts are needed ha!

8. neil a walker

neil a walker Active Member

Let me know if you want Some proper coilovers for this - E28 on HSD'S? Piece of piss. P.M me ;)

9. Richard.

Richard. Member

Ace. This era of Beemers does it for me in big way.

10. Jrcanes55

Jrcanes55 New Member

Looks super clean! Good luck. I think you'd be a lot happier with coilovers. Especially if you're trying to run drift level spring rates. I have BCs and they've been amazing. E28s are so much fun to slide.

11. DOC

DOC Member

old school - cool all day long - spesh in warsteiner colours

12. Kelvjy

Kelvjy Member

13. Loony

Loony New Member

Awesome base!

14. DH_

DH_ New Member

Awesome bee-emm I love these old ones!
    Loads of them all done in sort of matte military colours that look pretty cool, if that's what you're into.
    What's your mx-5 like I may be interested? Is it in the for sale?

15. Al_E11evens

Al_E11evens Member

Hey guys

Thanks for all the kind words. Surprising how many people out there love these hey...

Regarding the suspension I have been told that e30 springs fit exact but 20-30mm lower, so even a sood set of shocks and 60mm springs it should sit ok, but like said above coilovers would be better and more adjustable as to the ride I want. At the mo it's on Apex springs only about 30mm drop but still drives really soft.

Kelvjy - I may have to take you up on the BCs if you can still get them at that price ;-) unless you know of a better option. Your car is savage mate! What sort of torque figure does that thing run, bet it's silly! And yes dude I'm about an hour from the bridge so that would be awesome to meet up and talk about the 80's haha!

There's a bit of work to do on her at the mo ie engine swap (mates have said they will help me out with it as I just drive hahaha thanks Rhys Steel and Pembo), the door seals are leaking from somewhere at the mo too (is expecting a gold fish in your rear footwell a bad thing? Suspension, and interior... So pretty much a solid base but change the fucking rest lol. I will say though I do have the rims already and the bitches are wide, that's all I'll say...

#15 Al_E11evens, Jan 8, 2014
    Last edited: Jan 8, 2014
  16. Al_E11evens

Al_E11evens Member

Yes dude the Mazda went a few days ago, hairdresser style but super cool for skidding

17. Al_E11evens

Al_E11evens Member

Neil a Walker - Could you free up some space in your inbox dude?

18. neil a walker

neil a walker Active Member

Ahh, Sorry bout that, I've just had an inbox clearout so good to go now!

19. Al_E11evens

Al_E11evens Member

Hey buddy, no probs mate... Since the Mazda has gone and the ship is outside I may make a start on it. Have been offered some nice machines since having this, one being a Soarer v8... Just hope im right in keeping this, eventhough the v8 would be sweet.

20. cadhinanda

cadhinanda New Member

nice to see e28 enthusiast here! you going drifting with it mate? stick a turbo in the m30! sickk..