Levelling up from MX5...

Thread in 'Drifting Chat / Pictures / Videos' started by moleson01, Jan 5, 2014.

1. Stavros

Stavros Active Member

Few cheap upgrades is ok.

Just you two sounded like you was gonna do like 99% of other mx5 owners, try n drift, don't do too wel, then cry oh em gee must be the lack of power, and take the car off the road to spunk it on some turbo conversion.

2. RC3010

RC3010 Member

Oh god no, I love the lack of power, it's so much more fun and better to slide than the 36, I'm not bad, I have the idea just locations are hard to come by so it's a lack of seat time on bigger stuff that lets me down

Car is off the road because I live in a very rural area that gets bad snow, so no point in it running when it's so low, if I had the money I would have it out but just saving up for the summer

3. 340mike

340mike Member

4. moleson01

moleson01 Member

To be fair, having only known about and done drifting for a short amount of time, the whole point of coming onto forums and asking these questions is to understand and be helped in how to better our ability and knowledge of what i need to do to get better.

So I've taken on board its probably not the car that needs to be changed for my drifting to get better. We all start somewhere and the more constructive instruction i can get on the forum the better. If power doesnt need to be improved it wont but the only way i would know is to ask...

5. RC3010

RC3010 Member

Wouldn't get beat up buddy, this place can be rough, key board warrior don't cover it haha but there are a lot of very knowledgeable people and for mx5s stav is one of the best, very opinionated but knows his shit

The search button will be your best friend

Where you on track at NYE ?
    The red 5 with the bbs ?

6. RC3010

RC3010 Member

If it was you, I have a video of you having a pretty epic spin :D

7. moleson01

moleson01 Member

Haha yeah that would of been me

was your five up then as well?

8. RC3010

RC3010 Member

No no I was there watching in a green e36 with a fog light missing

9. ren_juanjo

ren_juanjo buttercakes!!

Refreshing to see that a new(ish) user has asked a question, received an answer that conflicts with their original way of thinking and has taken the advice on board!

Hope to see more people follow your lead at driftland and improve the standard of drifting (by improving the DRIVER instead of the car!) on all the regular events. Excellent.

10. RC3010

RC3010 Member

Here is what I've picked up after tens of hours searching, I've spammed this thread may as well

Welder -personal preference, I found a big difference (I fitted a 1.8 diff, apparently 1.6 diffs are more likely to blow up)
    Lock spacers 3mm - save PAS
    Manual/depowered - 7mm
    Bucket
    Mess about with tyre pressures 50psi or so in the back (I belive Glen of seaside alliance was running 80 or something mental)
    I've got a drift button but not used it yet, adjust the rears properly and could be off use at high speed (Stavros knows more about this, said on another thread)

Seat time !

Hope this can be of some use

11. Goddaz

Goddaz Member

:'( WHAT HAVE I DONE!!! I feel dirty like a whore now.

12. Shuttersound

Shuttersound Member

I have an S14 which drifts really nicely, but I still have a massive craving for an MX-5. I just think they are super cool. :)

13. Radiuz

Radiuz Member

Glen is the man, watch the videos of that little green mx5! Stock 1.6 engine with ecu timing crystal mod to raise the rev limit and some lock spacers. And a welder. And 13"s (I've just bought some too haha) good driver/car combo and will provide an insight into the mx5's capabilities :)

14. moleson01

moleson01 Member

yeah bud, checked him out on ytube, looks awesome

Getting some more seat time this saturday with lock spacers in and a bucket. Hopefully I do better than last time haha.

15. Radiuz

Radiuz Member

Did you see the wall tap/slam? I lol'd. If you have any setup questions add him on Facebook, genuinely nice bloke

16. Pete_the_Russian

I got an mx5 for the winter while my car is off the road and I must say that I have learned more in a couple of months in the mx5 than I have in the Altezza over the course of its ownership.

Where as before I thought the Altezza could use more power, I now realised that its got plenty and its all about what line to take aka. driver skill. So mx5 has been an awesome investment and if you want to get better, then keep skidding the 5.

17. Jites

Jites Active Member

I also bought an MX5 for winter but new child + college and ive not got it on the road yet but these are the mods im doing:

Lock washers 2 x each side
    welded diff
    bushes because old ones are fucked
    Coilovers on the rear as they were dirt cheap

think its cost me like £600 all in including the purchase of the car.

Cant wait to try it out and smash into Pete's lovely new paint job

18. Pete_the_Russian

My paint job is ready for some rusty mx5 to plow into it.

19. Jites

Jites Active Member

20. Pete_the_Russian

Wish mine was that clean