lorry hire

Thread in 'Other Chat' started by e36_turbo, Jan 28, 2014.

1. e36_turbo

e36_turbo Member

Hello,

For sometime ( 2 weeks to be exact :) ) I have been thinking of passing my C exam and hire Tractor units such as

DAF tractor unit as pictured here :
    http://www.logismarket.co.uk/ip/daf-trucks-limited-daf-cf-series-314986.jpg

I think it would be as much fun as drifting or other sports .

Is it only me or do other people think this will also be fun ?

It is roughly £100 per day to hire plus fuel of coruse so round £200 . I am then signing up for bloody £1000 excess in case anything happens to it but think worth it .

In addition , there is £700-800 cost of getting the license in the first place.

what do you think ?

2. 340mike

340mike Member

They are fun to drive if that helps...
    Especially if you get a decent one with a Manual gearbox, V8 and a lockable diff....

#2 340mike, Jan 28, 2014
    Last edited: Jan 28, 2014
  3. J_K_P

J_K_P Active Member

C license is £1150. Medical £100.
    4 day course.
    That's if you passed your test prior to 97 I think it is. Well. If you can drive 7.5t then that's how much it is.
    If you passed after that and don;t have C1 on your license now then it'll cost around £1500 for your training and test.
    Once you;ve done that, you can then do C+E which is an artic.
    that'll be another £100. which is what you need to drive that unit.
    Doing my test on the 13th. That's how I know.

4. J_K_P

J_K_P Active Member

Where did you see it for hire?

I've been looking for an 18t rigid and unless you've got an operators license, they don't want to know...

5. 340mike

340mike Member

Already done the above. Not artic though.
    you can drive a tractor unit on a class 2 (cat C)
    You just cant tow a trailer over 750kg.
    go figure.
    My class 2 cost about 1400 all in. But that included CPC testing and medical.
    (You wont need cpc if your only driving for fun.)

6. e36_turbo

e36_turbo Member

NationwidehireUK
    NATIONWIDE Hire UK

Gullivers
    Enquiries
    £1000 excess and £1000 deposit plus £100 per day and requires C license.

the guys from gullivers said I need my c license and operator license. I then said look It is for personal reason , just practicing and he said it is fine and could still hire it out. if you are calling them can you also let me know if this is the case?

what is operator license anyway ?

7. e36_turbo

e36_turbo Member

I can get my medical certificate from some places on the internet which offer to do it for £50 rather than my gp £85 rip off.

What does it involve and how long does it take ?

places like this
    "HGV medicals from £51. Amazing! And they give £5 to charity too"

and then I was thinking of doing a 10 hours course which should be sufficient and works out at around £600

8. hoagy5

hoagy5 Member

An operators licence is a licence to operate for hire or reward, i.e charge for hauling goods. it involves all the procedures a haulage company has to have like defect reporting system, tachograph checks and the holder of the licence is responsible for the vehicle or the fleet so can be prosecuted if anything goes wrong or they don't follow procedure. This is why you often see 'not for hire or reward' on race trucks etc. as if you are exempt it saves a lot of money and paperwork.

HGV medical the doc just checks you over, checks eyesight, respiration, reflexes and asks you lots of medical questions. Oh and checks your urine (for glucose I think). Takes about an hour.

Personally I have done both and find drifting to be more fun than lorry driving!!! lorry drifting though...

9. J_K_P

J_K_P Active Member

And test fee is £115 :o

I did ring Gullivers and they weren't interested unless I had an O license.
    He did say try Ryder as they do contract hire vehicles and have their own maintenance bods. I didn't bohter though.
    Not going there. Way too much money for the use it'll get.

I didn't think you were allowed to drive anything with a fifth wheel fitted regardless. I've got my C licence and pretty sure I read that somewhere.

#9 J_K_P, Jan 29, 2014
    Last edited: Jan 29, 2014
  10. e36_turbo

e36_turbo Member

by fifth wheel do you mean the trailer back thing that hooks up into the trailer ?

11. J_K_P

J_K_P Active Member

Yeah. It's called the fifth wheel

12. J_K_P

J_K_P Active Member

Here's a picture that came up on a google search lol.

[​IMG]

13. e36_turbo

e36_turbo Member

even if it has nothing attached just the trucktor unit itself can not be driven under C cat ?

14. lozzy

lozzy Member

ive been looking into this my self

i dont think you could drive a Artic tractor unit with out having your C1 first because you have the 'Potential' to pull a trailer

you have to go through the ranks Rigid first then Artic

someone correct me if im wrong

15. J_K_P

J_K_P Active Member

I'm pretty sure Lozzy is right.

But I think you can buy a tractor unit, remove the fifth wheel and then get the vehicle re registered so you can drive it on a C1 licence.
    C1 license allows you to drive UPTO 7.5t. C is anything that doesn't bend. C+E is big bendy stuff.
    And you can buy old tractor units for £3000+
    Pretty sure that's what Chris Eubank did.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

#15 J_K_P, Jan 30, 2014
    Last edited: Jan 30, 2014
  16. e36_turbo

e36_turbo Member

sorry I am talking about C not C1 which means you can drive anything really ( any weight ) .

You need C+E to drive tractor and the trailer but I was advised by an instructor that I could drive tractor Unit on C only (not C1) with 5th wheel as long as it has nothing attached

it is sort of like B, you can drive cars, but if you attach or hook trailer up then you have to have B+E if the mam is more than 3.5 ton or the weight of it is more than the unleden weight of the car

17. the hat

the hat Active Member

Yes you can drive the unit with nothing attached on a class 2 but why would you want too you can't do anything with it ?

18. e36_turbo

e36_turbo Member

driving it for fun , that is why i am doing my test ...

19. Epic

Epic New Member

I had had a C1 since 2011 when I was 20.

If you have a C1 you can drive any vehicle that isn't articulated. This means you can drive a unit without removing the 5th wheel.

https://www.gov.uk/driving-licence-categories

The TruckNet UK Drivers RoundTable • View topic - Tractor Unit driving for a class 2 driver

Is lorry driving fun?

It depends on what you call fun. it is very challenging you have to be alert, have good awareness and observational skills when driving. If just plan to hire the odd lorry and pimp around for a few hours it can be ok just watch out for height and weight limits and try to plan your route as much as possible.

The times when lorry driving isn't fun is when you are approaching a low bridge on a road you don't know or you pass vosa hiding on in a layby! But once you are used to the size it becomes second nature!

Cost?

If you are not using the unit for hire and rewards you won't need a CPC (certificate of professional competence) in short it is a qualification in driving. If you do require this then be sure to factor it in to your cost.

Also keep in mind the driving test is about £300 as you will need to hire a lorry for the test and the test fee. If you are unfortunate to need 1 or 2 retests then the cost can add up.

Once you have obtained your licence it can be handy thing to have. I would like to go on a get my artic licence so I can tow cars for track use and it would be silly just to do a car trailer licence.

20. J_K_P

J_K_P Active Member

The actual test fee is £115 for a weekday and you have to pay for ½ day hire so a retest costs £315.
    Got my C+E training next week hence I know the cost..