Posh streeto E36 Tourer

Thread in 'Project Cars and Builds Threads' started by BenKoflach, Dec 17, 2012.

1. Slamz

Slamz Member

Nope, you're wrong. The brace will still stop the shell from flexing between the shock towers. There will still be forces acting against the 2 shock towers on the back, even though the springs aren't attached, due to the fact that the shocks are controlling the damping and rebound of the suspension. Even if there were no forces acting on them (even though there are) it's still adding another bracing point, as when being driven, shells flex, no matter where suspension mounting points are.

How much of an effect this will have when driving is debatable, but just saying 'it does nothing because the springs aren't mounted there' is just stupid.

#101 Slamz, Jan 14, 2014
    Last edited: Jan 14, 2014
  2. gynads

gynads Member

Another awesome build! Was not expecting that S54 motor on that next page! sounds amazing, well done.

- - - Updated - - -

PS as others have said, it looks sick with Azev A's on!

3. BenKoflach

BenKoflach Member

I've had a small coolant leak for a little while on the Touring and what with the cold temperatures, the constant expense of antifreeze it's something I've been meaning to sort for a while. I've had a look several times and it wasn't obvious, but last week the temperature gauge started playing silly beggars and the coolant use went up several fold.

Because of that, I finally got my act together and went about locating the leak. Ran the car up to temperature and could see coolant leaking underneath but with no obvious source. Found it in the end - it's the connector that bolts onto the heater matrix pipes and pokes through the bulkhead/firewall. Bit of a pain as I was hoping I wouldn't have to visit the stealers, but oh well. Part number 11 below.

[​IMG]

Getting to it involves taking a fair bit of the engine bay apart. Luckily I don't have an airbox in the way though. Looked pretty sorry for itself when I started:

[​IMG]

You can't really see, but it's under this lot.

[​IMG]

This is the bit - you can just about see the crack, which means the pipe no longer fits snugly into it and therefore, leaks everywhere. 

[​IMG]

Going to get all-new parts from the dealer to avoid more issues with brittle plastic. Also going to look at replacing the heater hoses with silicone just in case they decide to have any kind of wobbly. Other than that, I just need to get everything sorted for our trackday at Brands Hatch on Feb 24th!

4. BenKoflach

BenKoflach Member

Just finally got round to getting the build sheet for the Touring, been meaning to get one for ages. As I suspected, it's basically a Sport with no other extra - :euge:

[​IMG]

Have also ordered all the heater bits and have booked the day off next Wednesday to fix it all. Genuine coolant and a new Vanos microfilter also ordered.

5. LiamE36

LiamE36 Active Member

Where and how can I get a build sheet for mine? Wouldn't mind a look.

6. BenKoflach

BenKoflach Member

7. LiamE36

LiamE36 Active Member

Cool cheers

8. BenKoflach

BenKoflach Member

No worries! It's pretty interesting really.

9. BenKoflach

BenKoflach Member

The Touring is 15 years old today. Yay.

Unfortunately it's sitting at home broken, so rather than taking it for a celebratory drive I'm just going to have to put up a picture of it. This was the first time I had it out on track at the PBMW track evening a couple of years ago, at Brands Hatch. Under M52 power at the time.

[​IMG]

We have a track day coming up on Feb 24th at Brands again. £139 for a whole day of open pit lane - check it out below. See you there!

Performance BMW Car Track Day - Monday 24 Feb 2014

10. BenKoflach

BenKoflach Member

Spent yesterday doing some repair and maintenance.

First up, replaced the broken heater connector. Not too bad-a-job, filled it up with Genuine coolant, bled it out and it was good to go. No more leaks and no more overheating! The heater also works better now that it's getting some pressure through it.

[​IMG]

All back together

[​IMG]

Then did my Vanos microfilter and o-rings. The filter looked alright but the lower o-ring (small black one) had just gone hard and clearly wasn't sealing properly. Replaced the bits, put it back in and the Touring is good to go again. I'm not sure if it's placebo effect but it also seems to pull more aggressively. It's that or the fact I haven't driven it for a couple of weeks - either way, I sh*t my pants when I put my foot down!

[​IMG]

Now the fuel gauge seems a bit suspect at times and this morning, my indicators stopped working. Brilliant.

11. LiamE36

LiamE36 Active Member

I think I might have to rock up to the brands event on February.

12. BenKoflach

BenKoflach Member

Not much of an update about the car as such, just a few other bits.

Firstly, new indicator relay has turned up so will throw that in and hopefully fix the issues with that.

[​IMG]

Will also chuck this in the window at the same time. It's now been under S54 power for 6 months, don't know where the time has gone.

[​IMG]

Fitted my old aFe induction kit to a friend's new 323i. Went for a spin in it and it made me realise how savage the S54 is compared to my old M52.

[​IMG]

Paul46 text me the other day to say that my rear calipers are ready, so looking forward to getting those on Sunday. The rear kit uses 4-pot calipers and 336mm discs but came as an E34 M5 kit with red calipers. Now the colour has been corrected, I'll have to work out what needs doing with the brackets for fitment. As the discs are transferrable I'm partially hoping that the bracket will be the same or close to it.

[​IMG]

Ran these to the tyre shop this morning, getting them shod ready for their new home. They're 8.5 and 10x18 with 215/40 and 225/35 tyres if I remember rightly - should be a nice challenge for the tyre fitters. Really not looking forward to seeing these go but will be grabbing a few shots back on the Touring before they leave my grasp.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

And finally, haven't been able to stop myself researching things like this. Oops.

[​IMG]

13. Taze

Taze Guest

That last pic looks very naughty Ben, couple questions.

Why don't the Azev's have centre caps lol?
    Is that a Land Rover they're in?
    Are we still on for the trackday, can't message you on fb for some reason.

14. BenKoflach

BenKoflach Member

Weird about Facebook.

I have flat centre caps for the Azevs, just need painting. And they're in the back of the work Focus C Max :)

Will PM you my number, you're still very welcome to come along

15. Taze

Taze Guest

Sweet man, will text you before long. My neck would like to thank your second bucket seat lmao

That C Max looks huge lol

16. vdublou94

vdublou94 Member

LS E36 tourer would be insane!

17. Snowdrift

Snowdrift Member

quite like this, drifty wagons are awesome.

18. rich01483

rich01483 New Member

Love this, if you're ever interested in selling let me know

19. BenKoflach

BenKoflach Member

Right, I have a pretty serious problem.

As mentioned previously my fuel gauge seemed a little dicky. Now I have no coolant temp, no oil temp and the fuel gauge doesn't really work - most of the time it's dead, but occasionally slowly rises to around 1/3 of a tank then drops again. Fuel light is on when the needle is in the right area. Illumination works, speedo is unplugged at the diff at the moment (long story) so can't way whether that works.

I've checked the fuses and can't see anything wrong, tried different clocks and no luck there either. Anyone got any ideas?

The car has also blown an indicator relay recently if anyone thinks that's related. Bad earth?

20. SidewaysRookie

So this is what my PBmw mag is paying for =P should put the links into Driftworks = More drifters yo. Seriously though awesome tourer