Welding a diff....in a 4x4?

Thread in 'Other Chat' started by woods1, Feb 10, 2014.

1. woods1

woods1 Active Member

I know this isn't drifting but rear welded Diffs.

Now I know most people on here have no problems with them but Every1 on the Internet when it's related to a 4x4 just talks about how dangerous a welded diff is.

Anyone any input?

I know it's common for a bmw running 18 inch wheels but what about 235/85/16 mud tires on the road? As it's bigger it will exsert more torque than a smaller wheel but do you guys have any experience or thoughts?

I can't fit a locker and no lsd option for a frontera.

2. pwalker

pwalker Member

anyone who has no clue about welded diffs always do think they are a death sentence lol.

but anyway my logic would be...with 255etc grippy road tyres (which alot of people run) should have a lot more grip on road than a skinnier nobbly.... so really nothing should be under any more strain.
    also with a welded diff you find that the jerky/skipping shit is far less noticable in a higher profile tyre, with a welder a 205-50 is far smoother turning than a 225-40 tyre, the big sidewalls on the nobblies will proberbly flex alot and take up alot of the movement/skipping.

but either way how much is a 2nd hand diff? chances are if anything goes its only going to be the diff and a 2nd hand old diff for a frontera cant cost too much.

3. woods1

woods1 Active Member

Thanks for reply mate. Well this is my thinking, people have no worries about running a welder on a e36 with.245 tires on a track when they are hot and really grippy but my 4x4 tires probably have half the surface contact due to the deep grooved swamp pattern. I just cba with it blowing the Diff up on the street as the Diff is in the axel and I'm not too sure how they bolt in, but like you said I'm sure there cheap enough for a replacement of it did go bang.

It's also not uncommon to snap shafts off roading, just main concern is the tall tire will act like a long spanner on a nut and exsert more force on the drive line.

But then again im sure the half shafts on a frontera are much thicker than a bmw lol

4. woods1

woods1 Active Member

100 views and only 1 post? Any1 else help?

5. B4DMF

B4DMF New Member

Vauxhall did do an LSD as an optional extra, so there will be some second hand ones out there. Welding it should be fine, but only do the rear. I'd say weld it and if it doesn't last look for a G80 LSD to replace it.

6. B4DMF

B4DMF New Member

Alternatively, you could look at an axle swap from something else.

7. woods1

woods1 Active Member

Trooper axel fits with a shortened prop but big job and the lsd was a mega rare option and I've yet to find one for sale :(

But you think welding it.should be.okay?

8. woods1

woods1 Active Member

G80? This fits in the caseing?

9. B4DMF

B4DMF New Member

Sorry, G80 was the option code for the LSD on the Frontera. Could something from an Isuzu Amigo or Wizard swap across?

10. JohnJ

JohnJ Active Member

Weld it. I've had numerous 4x4s with welded diffs, front and rear. You'll die if you drive like a dickhead though.

11. topi

topi KlutchKickKidz

I've driven XJ Cherokees and a Toyota 4 runner with welded front and rear. It drove like shit. But they drive like shit anyway, so you may aswell make it worse but more useful.

12. woods1

woods1 Active Member

Welded front diff is hardcore lol

Were these 4x4 used on the road though as I'm sick of getting stuck from 1 wheel stuck in the air when I go to pay sites. I just don't want to blow the Diff up on the street on the way to a offroad day.

13. B4DMF

B4DMF New Member

Definitely wouldn't do the front personally. I haven't driven a welded front, but did have a go with a Detroit locker in the front of my Defender 130, which I would have said is gonna give the same effect. Cornering became lethal. The thing pushed on every time, to the extent that I actually drove off the road a number of times without intending to.

14. woods1

woods1 Active Member

yea never the front just wondering about the back. front would be scary lol

15. REDTOm

REDTOm Member

Will grip more in a straight line off road, get to a tight section and the truck will want to push forward instead of turning.... Get to a slope you have to drive across with a turn and you are sliding sideways down the hill

16. Dori Hunters

Dori Hunters Member

Weld the front and fit free wheeling hubs. That way you can have them free wheeling on the road and lock them for off road Mate has done it on a vitara and works well. I put a Lockrite diff in my SJ and it is shit on road

17. woods1

woods1 Active Member

Hmmmm, does this mean I could use 4wd with the manual hubs unlocked? So when it gets rough lock the hubs and front axel would be locked, then on twisty sections unlock them but still get 4wd?

18. Dori Hunters

Dori Hunters Member

No you would only have 2 wheel drive with the hubs unlocked. With them locked the welded diff would keep the front wheels locked. They basically disconnect drive to the wheels.

19. woods1

woods1 Active Member

How did your mate with the vitara find the steering off road when he did this? Did it still turn okay?

20. wixsy

wixsy Member

just do the back, itll work