Drifting- Is there REALLY any need for a LSD over a fully locked rear end? Discuss...

Thread in 'Drifting Chat / Pictures / Videos' started by Stavros, Feb 6, 2014.

1. japdrifter_s13

japdrifter_s13 running out of skill

Ive never driven a car on a 2 way, always had mig spec diffs.
    4 years on my daily, never had a problem at all...I can't see how a 2 way is such a valuable asset to a competition car?

2. topi

topi KlutchKickKidz

I've had both and.... 2ways are better.
    As mentioned before, it's the added control with the clutch pedal that makes it worth while.
    There's a point when a car with a welded diff will just carry on gaining angle and go too far, but if you dipped the clutch with a 2way, you'd scrub that momentum off a bit.
    Is that worth 600quid.... That's upto you.

3. docwra

docwra Active Member

What car? Was the back end actually attached to the front?? ;) :D

4. woods1

woods1 Active Member

Im no drifter either but the VLSD in my 350z was total gash and took ages to lock and acted open most of the time on a 80k car. whereas my s14a lsd felt great.

only driven a welder once but felt great that it was so snappy.

5. Bladerider

Bladerider Ajudged scoundrel !!

Ive driven loads

And peronally I find the split seconds "rest" the 2way gives you can be priceless for controlling exactly how you want the transition and to know that the car isnt gonna plough on with understeer when you let off and then back on the power or spin out as the tyres dont get a break to grab the road. Maybe if I had used a welder in competition cars for ages at high speeds then I would be as good as Bondor or Dmac etc but for me that feeling when you let off in a welder couldnt be more different to the feeling you get in a 2way.

In fairness though I have had plenty of people drive the orange over the years say that the Cusco feels different to some of their cars, but perhaps Lex, Phil, Paz, JamesW or some of the others who have driven the orange would be better placed to comment.

Edited to add that I just relied to initial question and wouldn't have bothered if i had of read what has already been put as its been said better by better drifters than me already !! lolol

arse :wack:

J.

#25 Bladerider, Feb 12, 2014
    Last edited: Feb 12, 2014
  6. docwra

docwra Active Member

So youve never experienced a 2 way and only driven a welder once and you feel you need to contribute here? :wack:

7. kam

kam I've touched Chris Parry

The whole thread is just fucked up.

People talking about road cars.
    Never driven on an LSD but commenting.

Urgh.

8. woods1

woods1 Active Member

[​IMG]

9. docwra

docwra Active Member

Do you have some kind of learning difficulty Woods? Did I use words that were too big for you to understand? :confused:

10. Dori Hunters

Dori Hunters Member

Drifting- Is there REALLY any need for a LSD over a fully locked rear end? Di...

Probably not, it was an r33 GTST. I went from shimmed diff - to 2 way - to welded. I had a welded in an e36 before that. I genuinely can't feel any difference on fast road or drift days. Previously I had a Quaife in my z4 coupe and loved that for road use, but not so good for drifting.

To each his own, but I think maybe you would only need (maybe feel) the difference if you are looking at inches rather than feet for where you want to place the car. I have used all 3 at Mallory and the 2 way really didn't feel any different to my welder.

#30 Dori Hunters, Feb 12, 2014
    Last edited: Feb 12, 2014
  11. Bladerider

Blimey !!

Surely inches is the whole point lol

If you are judging things using feet as a rule to gauge their effectiveness then imho you need to stfu on threads like this (I dont mean it as harshly as it might sound lol) !! My top tip would be to recommend you dont enter any of these coolkidheropoint "drifting the wall" rubbing contests that make you manly in front of young boys with no belts and troosees roond thees kneezes !! :D

Only rubbing I was interested in when I was 20 involving a car usually required the engine to be off in case you "knocked her in [the] gear" ;)

J.

12. Mark_D

Mark_D Active Member

Personally I would only ever use a welder on purely a drift car, not a daily or often road driven car

Otherwise, LSD

13. Joe-sef

Joe-sef -Broseph-

I try my hardest to keep it the way i found it in the mid 2000's unfortunately i fear there is no way back..

14. Dori Hunters

Dori Hunters Member

Inches are the point if you're a pro and want to rub the apex, the wall on the outside, or hang onto someone's door MS Inertia style, but for me - an amateur who wants to take his car home in one piece at the end of the day - I want to keep at least a foot from caving my boot in
    [​IMG]
    This is plenty close enough for me and a welder allows to drive to this precision.

I guess many who go to practice days feel the same too.

15. Bladerider

Thats awesome.

Whats the best kind of nuclear reactor then ?? as im sure some of your electricity is generated that way so obviously thats good enough for you to have a worthy opinion on that as well !! ta

:wack:

:D

16. Bladerider

ooo

weird double post fail lol

17. stichy

stichy Member

Ive driven with both a trd 2way in my ae86 and a welder in an mx5
    So both are of a similar power /size and weight and the lsd just give a smoother break away less snappy.