Why have cars not progressed more?

Thread in 'Other Chat' started by brennon, Feb 3, 2014.

1. Taze

Taze Guest

Sell what? You're going on technicalities, I've told you many times today what I meant when I said it.

Superchargers than can run at 75psi/5bar. If they ran 5bar, it would be 10000hp.
    GrpB cars could accelerate that quickly on any surface, quicker on tarmac, and geared correctly could hit near 200mph.

Clear enough for you? Totally incorrect it isn't.

2. Stavros

Stavros Active Member

You said DO run about 80psi, they don't. I can walk the streets killing random strangers, I don't though. Would saying I do be correct, just because it's within the realms of possiblility? Fuck no.

You said Group B cars DID do near on 200mph. They weren't even close, as they were never geared for that, as that would ruin their performance and be pointless. You could gear a bog standard Evo right down etc etc and make it do 0-60 in about 3sec. Does that mean if you told someone standard Evos did 0-60 in 3sec dead you'd be correct? Fuck no.

So I don't really get why you got your ass our and PMd me and been replying all day on here.

Not sure if trolling or being stupid.

#62 Stavros, Feb 6, 2014
    Last edited: Feb 6, 2014
  3. Taze

Taze Guest

Lmao put your cock away, I honestly couldn't give a shit anymore lol, interpret it as you will. I told you what I meant over and over again, dont care now lol

4. Bladerider

Bladerider Ajudged scoundrel !!

Taze,

Its all a bit pathetic, as most of the things you keep arguing are "facts" quite simply are not. They are your own limited version of events and I suspect are at best Wikipedia backed nonsense.

Top Fuelers dont coast the last part of a course because they arent trying to hit 400mph its because the rules changed after one of the most successful drivers died from blowing through the end of the run off - so to enhance the safety zone for that class they now do 300m not 400m. Its like you saying that HANS devices are used now cos the drivers think carbon is sexy - its not, its thanks to Dale Snr taking one for the team after deriding "that damn noose" !!!

Top Fuelers only make the power they do because they run Nitro mix and hence gain a power doubling advantage over an equivalent petrol engine. While you are spouting more bollox about them being the most high tolerance engines out there and citing because they are rebuilt every run they must be the best, its because any engine builder would do the same if their rules gave them that advantage and feel free to show me a pnuematic valved top fueler that can sustain 20,000rpm for a few HOURS and then maybe we can discuss the parameters for tolerances, "best" and other spurious comments you like to chuck around.

While discussing tolerances and purpose also feel free to show me the drag coefficients of a typically bewinged GroupB car such as an S4 or SWB S1 and then explain to me again the laws governing the power requirements to overcome drag at speeds and maybe recalculate your certainty that with a bit of gearing a GroupB rally car could hit 200mph (not the newly massaged down 180mph that you have decided is the latest face saver - heres a hint, my r34 could hit 172mph in the rain from a standstill in 0.9 miles measured by certified timing equipment, 185 wouldn't take much longer, but it would take another 2+ miles to hit 203 mph, I know this because I have done it !!! The difference between the two is immense and that was in a car with almost no downforce and reasonable drag with the gearing to hit 207mph.

If like Stav you had done these sorts of speeds you wouldn't be so flippant about the apparent similarity of 180mph and 200mph, like the difference between 8000hp and 10,000hp or 4bar and 5bar. Your arguments are childish and dont do anything but highlight your lack of knowledge and understanding of the things you are trying to impress with.

Now, you can fuck off !!

:D

Have a nice day.

5. Taze

Taze Guest

... I said near 200, near.

6. ice-man

ice-man Member

So we have a 90degree v8 push rod engines revving to 10200 rpm producing 3000bhp in a race car running sub 6sec 1/4 miles @250mph in the 80s the were lucky to make 1500hp and lucky to run 7s @170mph that just in are class (pro mod full suspension and doors :-) ) in top fuel there now running 320+mph to 1000ft mark and probably making in excess of 8000hp I'd say the internal combustion engine has come along way in last 30 years I know it's not road cars but show were thing have come from

7. Bladerider

Bit like saying Birmingham is near london.

Probably to an EasyJet PR man !!
    Maybe to a man from Aberdeen
    Definately to a man from Los Angeles

Total bollocks to anyone from Coventry, Banbury, Gaydon, Bedford, Oxford, Luton, Milton Keynes, Watford, Hertford, Welywn, etc etc etc !!!

Accuracy cat is accurate !!!
    [​IMG]

Are we learning yet ??

8. Crook

Crook Member

I'm from Coventry (well a town near Coventry, but that's obviously bullshit because I can't do 200mph because of my gearing). Last time I checked 'near 200' means 'near 200', not '200'.

I just don't get why everyone has to be up in arms about such a trivial subject, cars have barely progressed, and the only real differences are the fact that they all look like total shit these days.

The 80's - 2000's were the best period for cars full stop, anything after the 2000's seems to be a pile of shit that looks the same as 5 other cars and shares it's parts with another 50.

9. Taze

Taze Guest

I agree lol, like 3 pages of post arguing over what they thought I meant, but then again this is dw lol

I think OP was talking about a technological advancement, not necessarily styling or driving pleasure tho.

10. sideways.taff

sideways.taff - www.tafftune.com -

11. chrisyboi

chrisyboi Member

^^^^

My thoughts exactly. Gota be a troll right?

12. chrisyboi

chrisyboi Member

13. docwra

docwra Active Member

If it isnt I feel sorry for his parents.

14. Stavros

Stavros Active Member

He's got his 30 posts now, so he can sell whatever shit he wanted to, so that's probably the end of that.

15. Bladerider

Indeed.

I typed out a typical reposte but for once just couldn't be arsed lol

If you can't understand the topic you probably can't understand the explanation citing alternatives either !!

:D

J.

16. Crook

Crook Member

What exactly does a 17 year old from London have to sell on Driftworks...

I know the kid IRL, and trust me- all he does is go to 'raves' and play xbox, post on tumblr, take photos etc.

He was trying to make a point, albeit it wasn't very well backed up.

17. ringer

ringer HOOooo!

18. docwra

docwra Active Member

More to the point, what does a 17 year old kid know about "old" cars? Why does every feel they have to give an opinion on everything these days, even shit they know nothing whatsoever about?

/grumpyoldman

19. jamespayne5

jamespayne5 Active Member

I'm not sure what's funnier- this thread, or the fully grown men arguing with a couple of teenagers. :euge:

20. docwra

docwra Active Member

Thanks James, in future Ill be sure to ask for ID before I disagree with anyone the internet.