s14 Navan street car

Thread in 'Project Cars and Builds Threads' started by Daze, Nov 13, 2012.

1. Daze

Daze THROWDOWN

Thanks man!

Thanks :) I quite like the reverse rake look, rear lower than front.

---

This weekend was an absolute blast! Had loads of fun up at Snetterton with a bunch of my mates, and the car ran faultless all weekend. The weekend got started around 1pm as me and a bunch of my mates set off to a Travelodge nearby Snetterton on Friday. We hit major traffic throughout our whole journey and it took us over 5 hours to get there, it should have taken no longer than 3 hours! M25 was a joke.

However, this did mean all of us were pretty bored on the way up and had some opportunities for some rolling shots. My mate Ben grabbed this awesome photo of my car on his iPhone, came out really well!

[​IMG]

I also grabbed this to show how low it was sitting at the back loaded up! A few mm's from tucking rim on 17s, not bad!

[​IMG]

Anyway, after beers & steak on the Friday, we woke early and cracked on with our drifting on Saturday. My first session out didn't go so well, the track was SOOO grippy, I couldn't barely spin up! I kept at it, and built more confidence, then thought about increasing rear tyre pressures. They were on 40psi, so I cranked them to 55psi and tried again. The rear tyres I was using were also brand new, so that didn't help.

Anyway, the increase in pressure helped a lot and I got some decent runs down! Here's some pics from Markcallfphotography!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

And my favourite
    [​IMG]

Also did some twinning with friends! Adam chased me for a couple laps
    [​IMG]

And I chased Ryan Pothecary
    [​IMG]

Overall had a great day and my car was spot on for all of it. I've also, of course, got video. I've cut as much boring stuff out as possible, and its still almost 7min long! Anyway, take a look.

Pretty happy with how things went, and very pleased with the car. Bring on the next day!

2. sparky_s13

sparky_s13 Active Member

Awesome :)

Driveshaft spacers made a difference then :)

Have to watch the video when I get home

3. Daze

Daze THROWDOWN

Thanks man. Yes, yes they have! I checked the shafts probably 10 times over the whole weekend, and they're spot on! I was more worried for the drive up & back, as the car was so loaded up and so low, but still fine! Pleased with that :)

4. sparky_s13

sparky_s13 Active Member

That's good to hear because I will be having a s14a daily soon and want to run low so have a few questions.

I will be putting my spare GTR rims on and was wondering what profile tyre you used on them and what spacers?

Also I noticed you relocated half the wheel arch loom but I really cant be arsed with doing that after having to do it to my s13, could you not tuck it up higher and pull it back through the bulkhead a bit more to give a bit more clearance where it comes out by the tyre? Did you still have that problem with smaller tyres on the GTR rims?

Thanks

5. Daze

Daze THROWDOWN

On my GTR rims, I ran 235/40 profiles. I have run 215/40 on them as well, which looked OK too, bit more stretch. Depends on how low you wanna go.

I haven't relocated any of the arch loom yet bud? I will be doing that, but haven't done yet. Again, all depends on how low you go. I've pulled mine through as much as possible and tucked up very high, but I still don't feel safe with it there, not after having now 2 electrical fires. I'll be relocating the fusebox & entire loom very soon.

6. sparky_s13

sparky_s13 Active Member

Ahh I quickly read something on page 20 about half the loom being relocated? Must of skip read something because I am in work lol.

Yea I am doing the same to my s13 and getting rid of the fuse boxes completely and making up a relay/fuse panel inside the car but really don't want to do much to the s14a if I can help it being a daily. I'll try pulling and tucking it up as high as possible then, thanks man,

7. Daze

Daze THROWDOWN

Small update today, but fairly large part collected. For ages I've wanted a straight-cam SR20DET car, even in my s13 I wanted one, and I always landed with bent-cam VVT engines. I thought now would the the time, if any, to go down this route with the impending TD06-20G install. And to minimise "downtime" without my car working, if I can build up this engine and have it ready for a relatively easy swap with my current engine.

Here she is!

[​IMG]

My plans with this keep changing - do I leave it as it is (known working, low milage and good condition engine) - or do I forge it? - or just do a simple "refresh" on the engine (new oil pump, bearings, seals & gaskets).

And I think my answer will be that I'm going to get a refresh done on it, for piece of mind. Included in what I bought yesterday from the guy selling this was also a spare s15 VVT block (not sure what I'll use this for yet?!) and VVT pistons & rods which appear to be in very good condition. So when I get round to getting the refresh done, I'll also have those stronger VVT pistons & rods installed.

My overall goal with the engine isn't to aim for super high HP figures, I'd be happy with around 360-380hp, so even in completely stock from both the straight-cam and bent-cam VVT engines can take that, along with good management. Its months away still, but getting closer! :)

8. 200sx_

200sx_ PS13 x TD Power

With the refresh, if you're not going to forge it dude id get some stronger rod bolts, rings and metal headgasket etc

9. Daze

Daze THROWDOWN

Yeah, absolutely. With the "refresh" those sort of things is what I was talking about :) It has a metal h/gasket already, but will obviously need replacing once the head is removed.

10. xborninthefightx

xborninthefightx JZX BOSS

Cool nice one dude, get that engine done and put it in. You planning on doing taxis this year?

11. james6787

james6787 New Member

This looks awesome! Love the roof spoiler.

12. Daze

Daze THROWDOWN

I'm not sure to be honest. I may do some, but perhaps not quite as many! I'd like to do Japfest2 at Donington Park again, great circuit and event!

Thanks buddy :)

13. vdublou94

vdublou94 Member

Awesome! Looking forward to it. :)

14. Daze

Daze THROWDOWN

A fair bit of stuff has been going on since my last update, time to catch up!

I've finally had my R33 GTS-T brakes fitted, at long last. Got my buddy Stu to help me with this as I knew it was going to be horrible & complex job (mainly for fitting the rears)

While Stu was doing the rear shoe assembly & calipers, I did the fronts. Didn't take me long until they were looking like this
    [​IMG]

And didn't take long until the rears were done either
    [​IMG]

R33 handbrake cables fitted straight up. Here's a comparison picture for anyone who's interested. Left to right - s14, R33, s13
    [​IMG]

Lowered the car back down and swapped the brake master cylinder, and bled everything.
    [​IMG]

I drove it down the road, only a few miles, and the brakes were truly awful. I had a grinding noise from the back, and I had a very long pedal - something was surely wrong. Few days later went back to my buddies workshop and we swapped the BMC back to my original s14 one, perhaps the master cylinder was to blame. It turns out it was just a small bit of air, but generally just with everything being brand new, it just needed bedding in! Now with around 60 miles on the brakes, the pedal feels a lot nicer.

However, the grinding noise was still there. We found the rear shoes & discs were basically knackered so I bought new discs, shoes & pads from eBay, and they arrived.

[​IMG]

Shoes were from Conceptua Tuning on eBay, I originally bought stock R33 GTS-T shoes, but they didn't have any in stock. For £11 extra, they supplied me with these posh looking things, which I'm told are "in development" and are specifically designed for drifting!

Anyway, on Saturday I swapped out the old knackered shoes, discs & pads with all the new stuff
    [​IMG]

And done
    [​IMG]

Went for a drive, felt so much better! Adjusted up the handbrake after a few miles and it seems to work pretty well already! Needs some more tweaks & adjustment, but defiantly locks up nicely, real pleased.

Me & my buddy Ryan repping Throwdown. Shameless plug :) https://www.facebook.com/thrwdown

[​IMG]

Even after all of this, I was still experiencing some kind of rubbing/scrubbing noise from the rear. It turned out to be my tyres on the rear arches?! At first I couldn't think of why it would be doing this, as I hadn't touched ride height or camber.

After chatting to a mate, of course the shoe assembly backplate sits in-between the hub & bearing carrier, which pushes the bearing carrier further out by the thickness of the backplate (about 1mm?), hence why they were rubbing! Now that's fitment, lol :)

Over the next few days I'll get the fine adjustment device out (lump hammer) and adjust arches to suit. Other than that, all perfect.

In other news, I've been having a fairly major issue with my T28 oil return pipe. The bloody thing always leaks, and I can never seem to find the correct pipe to suit my car. I decided to buy this from eBay, which is a T25/28 oil return flange to AN10 fit hose.

[​IMG]

Fitted this up a couple days ago, and so far no leaks at all. Spot on!

15. Slamz

Slamz Member

Got any pics of the oil return fitted? Is that a 30degree fitting you used? Having issues with my oil return leaking too, so if I can make up something new like that and solve it, I'm all for it!

16. Daze

Daze THROWDOWN

As it happens I didn't realise how little room there was, so ended up not using the 30° or 45° fitting that I bought! Lol.

Luckily I had a 90° fitting in my garage, which fits basically perfect. I didn't remove the block-end fitting either, small bit of pipe between - perfect :)

17. Slamz

Slamz Member

Ah thanks, I'll have a measure up under my turbo before I buy anything then!

18. Daze

Daze THROWDOWN

Yeah, worth having a look under before ordering, haha :)

19. Ry_de

Ry_de Member

puff the magic dragon living in your arches lol

20. Daze

Daze THROWDOWN

Haha, you mean all the mud & crap from Snetterton? Its insane. Need to get under it with a pressure washer properly!