Clive's #doav8swap Kouki gracer build

Thread in 'Project Cars and Builds Threads' started by Clive, Jun 18, 2011.

1. Clive

Clive Active Member

I guess I was too late getting back to you as I just see the car is already at team sunsets place :D

I dunno how old it was. Owner said it was fairly new which I can believe.. But must of been married up to the old worn dual mass..

You wanna buy it :D ?

2. m4ci3k

m4ci3k Member

awesome build

3. essexcapri25

essexcapri25 Member

This is just pure awesomeness, looks so mean and evil. Not sure on the bonnet tho

4. looneydrift

looneydrift New Member

Love this car great combo

5. Clive

Clive Active Member

So, today the car went to its new owner :(

[​IMG]

Every grey cloud has a silver lining...I didnt have to break it, it's lived on to be enjoyed much like I have :)

A lot of people asking why I sold it, well I've went for a different route, bit of retro jap tin to compete in the RDC, it's going to be mega fun with great drivers, bags of seat time and banter.. Which is drifting summed up for me.

I'll waffle on for a bit more to express I actually sat there watching a video of it from Anglesey grip weekend, pembrey GP and lydden drift days thinking... Dame the car is awesome.

But, I got bored of it. I wanted to supercharge it to do something new, liven it up. Bring the buzz back.

The car hasn't changed for near on 2 years... Apart from clutch upgrade, GTR diff upgrade. I haven't even changed the alignment, as in my mind- had it dialed from day one.

Reason the charger didn't happen goes back to the original idea behind the v8 s14 was to keep it cheap, simple and reliable (I've spent fuck all on it really, anything I have, nearly got back in selling it... Due to me not changing or replacing bits every drift day, careful eye when purchasing...just part worn tyres.. And fuel .. Lots of them ha) this was to gain a lot of seat time and experience, where I wanted to spend my money- enjoying the car.

A bit more about the replacement car. It's a mental SR86 such a hoot to drive, it stuck out to me when I saw it listed. On paper looked a perfect match, as It's near on my s14 chassis wise, but shorter wheel base and some 250kg lighter. Makes for a EXTREMELY fun car to drive. It's a lot harder to drive IMO (don't look it in video I know... I'm very relaxed behind a wheel!), but more rewarding.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I tested it for about 20 minutes at pod and just felt right, fast, snappy but steers well. In car video was after about 10 minutes of being in the seat. On new budget haita 195/45 r16 @34psi

The remember your roots in the title is pod, as much as it's bumpy and just a mere coned tracked, can still be great fun and relaxed. It's where drifting started for me.

#465 Clive, Mar 2, 2014
    Last edited: Mar 2, 2014
  6. Dantagonist

Dantagonist Member

I totally get your decision.

Santa pod is still great fun, especially when it's a nice day as it was that day.

I love speaking to people who are completely new to drifting, which you dont really get at a circuit. I get a buzz out of getting my friends in the driving seat and showing them how much fun grass roots can be. If we can both get to pod together again id love to come out in your car and we'll get a few funs in together mate.

7. random tim

random tim Member

Glad you didnt have to break the car mate. I had soo much want after you taking me out in it at the weekender. Just couldn't find any money to buy lol. The new toy looks a hoot though. Watched the video after you posted it in another thread the other day. Hoppe the new owner has as much fun with it as you have

8. poju89

poju89 Member

Awesome! Nice work!

9. Clive

Clive Active Member

Cheers Dan and Tim.

I'm a bit worried about testing the 86 at speed as it's so snappy ha! :D

[​IMG]

Post count, what you got for sale?

10. charlieog1243

charlieog1243 Member

loved the s14 and love the new car you planning on changing anything?

11. Supra Gaz

Supra Gaz Member

New car looks nuts, any more pics? The S14 was brilliant, but when you want to fiddle with something which is finished you know it's time to move on.

12. haydomiata

haydomiata Member

really going to miss being in the passo seat of that car!
    glad to see your enjoying it and getting to grips with it
    we had great time building that car and its nice to see it being used properly
    with regards to the snappyness we had a thought of trying more of a balance between front and rear grip but never had the chance to try it out

13. Clive

Clive Active Member

Thanks guys.

To be honest, currently the snatchyness is exactly what I like about the car, get it right and it turns on a penny ridiculously fast :D at speed it will be interesting!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

#473 Clive, Mar 6, 2014
    Last edited: Mar 6, 2014
  14. ElkWörks

ElkWörks Member

really like the 14, but LOVE the SR86! great driving as well

15. lewyS14a

lewyS14a Active Member

Exactly what i found when going from a S14a to a AE86. It takes a while to get used to how quick they change directions , i got more than a few tank slappers on lol. I can imagine its even more lairy in a 86 with twice the power and some turbo kick.

Edit: Forgot to say sweet looking 86 aswell dude :thumbs:

16. liamjrhodes

liamjrhodes Member

Love the new car!

17. haydomiata

haydomiata Member

18. Cap'n Crash

Cap'n Crash New Member

I saw the Corolla up a driftland today. It doesn't sound like your typical sr, wasn't what I was expecting, not a bad thing. Ah well it's nice anyway.

19. mad.matt

mad.matt Well-Known Member

Hachi looked sweet yesterday, managed to get a couple of good pics of it. Will post them when I'm home :)

20. Pikey

Pikey Active Member

ignore, sorry