Why are we not using 350z's?

Thread in 'Other Chat' started by yogi bear, Mar 6, 2014.

1. yogi bear

yogi bear Active Member

So they are coming more and more in line price wise to the likes of s14's and some are much cheaper than s15's. They have stout gearboxes and 300bhp to boot. Not to mention they are modern cars, so not rusty old bags like 200's and skylines
    Is it just the fact that it is expensive to extract power from the motor? There must be plenty of cheapish suspension, brake, and drivetrain options available by now.

Thoughts please as im im becoming more and more inclined to buy one

2. docwra

docwra Active Member

Never really understood it myself, throw some coilovers on and they are as good as anything and a lot less likely to explode. Possibly down to money, they are still a bit more than an S13/S14/R32/R33 but IMO are betterererer. :thumbs:

No space tp carry spare rims though :down:

3. jumpbike

jumpbike Member

they are still more expensive than 200's or skylines plus its that thing of shall I when people know the car they have inside out and i'd say yea expensive to get more power from over an already turbo engine plus they weigh a significant amount more and I don't think its too easy to get the weight out with out chopping parts of the body anyway

4. yogi bear

yogi bear Active Member

They do seem pretty solid. I can't find any broken ones for sale, nor have I seen any that have grenaded. My thought would be that if I could find one with a broken engine, it would be ripe to drop a 2jz in it.

300 odd bhp is a decent figure and not to be grumbled at. But personally, I've been there, done that and want something with some real punch.

5. Dedman

Dedman Member

I use a 350, absolutely love it. Don't get me wrong, I'm no pro, but it's lovely to throw around.

The spare parts on them aren't cheap though, headlights are £400 each from a breaker and many other likely breakable bits are big money too. IMO, a 2JZ would make them perfect, I just can't afford one!

6. Rob_SRi

Rob_SRi Member

Price.. Parts included! There's a reason everyone uses e36s and mx5s etc

7. Rob_SRi

Rob_SRi Member

Not to say they aren't good drifters my mate has a gt4.. It's just too nice to abuse though!

8. CBRParr

CBRParr Active Member

I had one personally and used the one at work for drifting loads. Great car, weld the diff and its ready to go. TBH don't weld the diff and its ready but eventually the diffs start to get hot and they start acting like an open diff. Power is hard to gain, the most effective way is to swap the engine or turbo/supercharge it. They don't have heaps of lock but again that can be modified and stock is enough to go out and drift.

Like docwra said... Not much room for wheels.

- - - Updated - - -

Oh and when you brake mid drift it cuts the power momentarily so it takes some practice when you're controlling a drift using a bit of braking. Im sure you can turn that off somehow though.

9. mk1rob

mk1rob Member

i have had 1 for a few weeks now and its awesome. there getting pretty cheap now and the price difference isn't huge between them and some 200's but imo there worth paying a little more for.

10. yogi bear

yogi bear Active Member

So if they are greatly capable, and have 300hp to boot. (Which is about the power the majority of drifters have with 200's/skylines).
    I still don't get then why they are not being used more. Save your money trying to modify and hash up turbo datsuns to get them to 300bhp. Just go out and buy a 350z.....

11. Rob_SRi

Rob_SRi Member

Suppose they probably will be used more soon enough it's just price of parts etc is still high..

12. Stavros

Stavros Active Member

You've done your 30 pretty pointless replies this afternoon so you can sell something, you don't need to keep adding more.

13. Rob_SRi

Rob_SRi Member

Genuine point to the OP I feel?

Thanks for your constructive input.. I've been a member on here for a while ta!

14. Dedman

Dedman Member

The brake thing is quite annoying, but I've never drifted anything else so I guess I got used to it easier than most.

I cut all the speaker housing from the rear and can now get 6 18's with tyres on in the car if I dont have a passenger.

15. Cades

Cades Member

He's selling some wheels, also wants to become a policeman.
    For Sale Wheels for sale :)

16. SamN

SamN Member

I have a 350Z which I use daily as well as my e36 drifter. The 350Z drifts amazingly, loads of low down torque and LSD standard.

Reason I don't drift it is that it's worth 3 times that or my e36 and parts are much more expensive. In comparison to s-bodies/r-bodies though I don't see a huge reason why they're less popular other than they're only just coming down in price. They are pretty damn heavy also!

17. Rob_SRi

Rob_SRi Member

I am selling some wheels.. That is the link! Soon to be a thread on here soon :)

Haha and used to before I realised how full of shit the job is! Got a waaaay better paid job with none of the shit now hence why that last thread mentioned being an 'area manager'

Still amazing what you can find with Google and some free time :)

Anyway.. Back on topic....?

#17 Rob_SRi, Mar 6, 2014
    Last edited: Mar 6, 2014
  18. stichy

stichy Member

Seams to be the same in Japan as well. They dont seam to drift them. Maybe its the lack of cheap power upgrades.
    Ive been looking into in changing my 86 for a zed. Might not be a bad idea.

19. reeperR32

reeperR32 Drift-Street-Imports

20. stichy

stichy Member

Loving the powered by max steering kit.