Minty.Fresh Boosted Altezza

Thread in 'Project Cars and Builds Threads' started by Pete_the_Russian, Jul 27, 2013.

1. a2pen

a2pen Member

Slight smoke off the front wheel there Peter, mine does that to :D

2. Pete_the_Russian

Completely forgot to throw this up. Finally got the footage from the weekender in October. Car was struggling to say the least compared to the previous outings.

3. Pete_the_Russian

So I guess its that time of the year again when I begin prepping the car after a long winter hibernation.

Got some engine mounts since I think the ones I have are pretty much gone and then engine is resting on them, rather than fixed on them lol.

[​IMG]

Ordered a bunch of tools that Ive pretty much needed to do all the repairs. Also the gaskets and studs came this morning to fix the blowing manifold.

Next step is to start pulling the engine apart and helicoil the threads that were stripped after the small crash in August.

Talking of that, it was a damn good day

[​IMG]

Extended track rod ends ordered, so mega lock knuckles are going to be fitted soon.

4. Pete_the_Russian

Thats that out of the way

Sooooo. The job I have been dreading for last 5 months has been done.

[​IMG]

This is the first time I touched the altezza since driftland opening.
    Nice and cosy with a reasonable amount of space to work with.

[​IMG]

I started to pull everything apart to get to the exhaust manifold. The reducer has definitely seen better days. No wonder I had no power.

[​IMG]

Manifold off...... 2 out 4 cylinders is better than nothing eh.....

[​IMG]

Thread condition... not great

[​IMG]

Some tapping, followed by a helicoil.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

So now thats out of the way, and once I order new braided lines for the oil return (cause of a fire last time) I can put everything back together and hopefully have a working car :smash: Maybe a new reducer without a hole might help.

I, ummm, also fitted some new mounts

[​IMG]

And just saying that it was a good idea :wack:

[​IMG]

5. garrigle

garrigle Member

Looking good!

6. Pete_the_Russian

I must say that there is something very relaxing about working on this car. Nothing annoys you at all. No bolts are rusted or seized. Everything is the way it should be. I am comparing it to the IS200 and the MX5 that I have been working on for the past few weeks...and I think it would be an insult to the car if I compare it to those shit buckets again.

Anyways, in between fixing the manifold, I decided to fit the mega rock knuckrels >_< maximum steering angre.

[​IMG]

Bolted them on and used the stock track rods for now. Still waiting for longer ones to arrive from a 4WD MarkII. The oem ends are threaded on by half a turn, and even then the wheels are still toeing out.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Check up in the air to see if the wheel hits anything...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Down on the ground....A fair bit of poke :rolleyes:

[​IMG]

Rears definitely need to be brought out slightly. Makes the car look paralysed at the back compared to the front :smash:

[​IMG]

Couldnt turn the wheel on to maximum lock when it was on the ground, was afraid to strip the track rods because they were wound in so little. But this is as far as I got.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

In other news...Fixed the power steering leak

[​IMG]

Torqued up the manifold to the max and the studs didnt budge! :o:o:o:o:o WIN!

[​IMG]

And got a fresh short ratio welder to go in at some point. Current diff has way too much backlash.

[​IMG]

7. garrigle

garrigle Member

:thumbup::thumbup::thumbup:

8. mint

mint touch my fruit

We need to see if our lock is the same, yours looks more ..

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

9. Pete_the_Russian

My knuckles are hitting the lca before the rack hits the stops. Will need to sort that and get more lock. Also I have more caster, so that could be the reason for more lock than you.

10. HOODS

HOODS Member

Looking good Pete!

11. Pete_the_Russian

Cheers Danny ;) Will check your thread in a bit to see your progress. Havent seen the updates for a while.

Carried out a little experiment today so I can see how much work would be involved in fitting some 10j's in the arches.

[​IMG]

10mm spacers

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Seeing what the options are now to create some more space in those arches

12. Dex

Dex kut!

Stanley Kirk Barrell!

13. twiglett

twiglett Active Member

mmmaaaaaate 10j`s fit a treat.
    my massively spaced out 10j`s with 235/40`s only rub when im bouncing over craters and potholes n shit.
    my arches have been battered to death with a BFH though so the only bit that rubs is the rear bumper.
    there`s a reinforced strip about 40mm wide right at the top of the arch so run a cutting blade through it from the inside and the whole arch pulls out another 15 or so mm without creasing.

14. Pete_the_Russian

Aaaaaaah! Yes! I remember seeing that today. Is that piece at 45degree angle going from the top of the wheel well to the arch? But your tezza is a jeep, no surprise it doesnt rub ;) Someone rolled your arches when you sold the car one of those times though ?

15. sxnutter

sxnutter Member

thats some major league lock. need some of them on my IS200

16. twiglett

twiglett Active Member

you are correct. its only thin but its formed into the wheel well so it adds loads of strength.
    i rolled them and pulled them first and did a tidy job of it. then some twat attacked them with a brick by the looks of things.
    it was only so high because the buyer wanted it looking shit and couldn`t get into his road.
    its on its arse now stuck in my garage :thumbs: front needs to come down about 20mm to even it out.

wheel swap and pictures coming this week. :nod:

17. Pete_the_Russian

How easy was it to do with the arch roller? I was doing my housemates is200 arches and that arch did not feel like moving at all. Hence the broken arch roller.
    Obviously it will go a bit easier now that you told me about making that cut. Post pic up of your arch when you're doing your wheel swap, I want to have a lookie ;)

18. Pete_the_Russian

Can get you a set if you're interested

19. twiglett

twiglett Active Member

its all sealed up.
    i pasted a load of underseal in the slot to keep it all rot free.
    might be able to see it from the inside if i pull the boot apart.

first time was done properly. arch roller and heat gun.
    second time was with a mallet to get some more clearance.
    third time was done with a frag grenade by cunty bollocks
    fourth time was done using the biggest hammer i could find and a few cutting/ grinding discs then painted over.

20. sxnutter

sxnutter Member

how much are they pete ?