e30 touring daily drifter

Thread in 'Project Cars and Builds Threads' started by spunkeymonkey, Mar 16, 2014.

1. spunkeymonkey

spunkeymonkey New Member

Hi,I have been on here for a long time now and played about a little bit with skidding around etc but finally got myself a propper car to build for drifting, I have a 1991 bmw e30 touring, currently a 320 but it will be getting a new engine later in the year, its a nice solid shell which was the main thing I wanted, this is the only photo I have of her when she was stock

[​IMG]

I ran it as it was for around 6 months and then started collecting parts etc, it is currently fully stripped with a pair of buckets and harnesses, running full e36 prosport coilovers, e36 6cyl front hubs, camber/castor adjustable topmounts and m3 polybushes, and then sitting on a set of maxxis maz1's so im hoping that im building a good setup

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I have got these pontiac trans am wheels away being refurbished at the moment, they are 15x7 still but are et0 so will give me more clearance in the arch for more lock

[​IMG]

next thing I need to sort is how the front wheels are sitting in the arch, they are currently sitting like this, I have been told I need modified bottom arms, who is best to go to for these? And how much would a pair of front arms set me back? I want them modified so that the hub sits forward and also so that it sits wider for clearance as I am going to be after more lock soon

[​IMG]

any help would be great, thanks, ollie

2. Dantagonist

Dantagonist Member

3. spunkeymonkey

spunkeymonkey New Member

Cheers man I have messaged him

4. Swamp

Swamp Member

Obviously, the front 5x120 conversion uses stock E36 knuckles, the usual bending of the arms works shit though, youll get the wheel gaps looking good, but the wheel geometry gets messed up and it can be even dangerous at high speed. Several cars have crashed due to poorly performed conversions. It even led to 300mm.de discounting theyre 5x120 kit.

You´d be better of with stock E30 McPhersons and machined 5x120 hubs.

5. alanfordtw-15

alanfordtw-15 Member

those pontiac wheels will not be uncool..

I would agree. never really seen full e36 front hubs fitted, mainly because they are from a differnt type of car. stick with all e30 front end and machine the hub flanges, fit e36 rack, e46 bottom arms ect. as has been proven to work bazillions of times, and you wont have to go to all sorts of finicky engineering just to get the wheel back where it should be

6. Paz

Paz -NIGHTSPIRIT FAMILY- UK Drift Since 2001

Dont people just use eccentric lower arm bushes and E36 M3 Evo front hubs to get the wheel sitting in the right place?

7. bell

bell Without patience

pretty much paz.
    punch in e30zone wiki on google the 5 stud conversion has been covered along with many other things.

8. spunkeymonkey

spunkeymonkey New Member

Yeah I am running m3 eccentric bushes and they push it forward a bit but they dont make enough difference, everyone I know who is running 5 stud on e30s is running custom arms so im having a set made up to push the wheel forward in the arch and also 25mm wider for more lock clearance, plus the m3 hubs would work but they mean that I will have to run 17s because of the size of the brakes and I hate 17s on e30s

#8 spunkeymonkey, Mar 17, 2014
    Last edited: Mar 17, 2014
  9. PhillE30

PhillE30 Member

I have used e36 m3 evo arms and currently e46 arms...with the wheel sitting correctly, i had issues with rubbing on the back arch on full lock, however i was using a 8.5j et-5

Have you had a set made? If your running stock balljoints i could possible help you out.....pm me

you dont have to run 17s......these are 16s with M3 Evo brakes

[​IMG]

10. Swamp

Swamp Member

Its not about geting it siting right its about steering geometry, just do a image search on E30 uprights vs E36 knuckles, the lower mounting point is in a totally diferent position, that gives the E30 the nice steering geometry witch it has. Bending arms is just form over function sorry. But to each theyr own