Eunos Coilover and Bushes question!

Thread in 'Technical Questions' started by RaginWaxedYeti, Mar 2, 2014.

1. RaginWaxedYeti

RaginWaxedYeti New Member

Hi Guys,

If there are any Mx5nutz kicking about that could give some comments/experiences it would be appreciated.

What coilovers do you guys suggest and how does some new Poly bushes help settle the car handling wise?

Just any information regarding coilovers/Poly bushes that would be great!

Cheers

2. r3k1355

r3k1355 Well-Known Member

What do you mean by saying the handling is unsettled?

The MX-5 is quite sensitive to suspension geometry, if you're alignment is off it will drive pretty horrible.

3. RaginWaxedYeti

The car just doesn't seem planted to the road in the corners. Like you said about the off alignment, will need to get this sorted first.If I was to install new coilovers and new bushes would this mean I would need to get the alignment redone?sorry if this is a stupid question.

4. Hexa-dB

Hexa-dB Member

If you're looking for mx5nutz, have a look on er.. mx5nutz.com :)

As for what coilovers - What sort of budget have you got in mind?

5. RaginWaxedYeti

I've had a look on mx5nutz haha.
    Just thought I'd get some different opinions.

Looking at a budget of £150 -£250.

6. Nutty

Nutty New Member

7. Jhandy

Jhandy Member

I think the cheapest but decent set of Coilovers is on mx5parts for 280 I think

8. Nutty

Nutty New Member

We run three MX5s for trackdays and the two with bilstein are definitely better than the one with cheapo shocks and springs even though the cheapo has new bushes and 1.5 negative camber.

9. schnabulator

schnabulator Member

Poly bushes makes the whole car much stiffer and let it handle like a go-kart

10. mint

mint touch my fruit

Agree'd. Polybushed makes a world of difference, Im half way through my suspension setup on my 5.

Basically imagine it like this, anything you do to the suspension (Including coilover adjstment, removing arms, replacing track rods etc) should then be re-aligned. Obviously that can be costly which is why were using the string method to align our toe etc. Usually put it in for 4 wheel alignment after all the jobs are complete.

As said though, if your mx handles badly it'll be because of the following.

1. Tyres (Makes a massive difference) - What are you running on all corners, size and brand.
    2. Alignment - As said already, this is a massive factor on these cars.. if its out, it'll be horrible.
    3. Diff - This shouldnt make it drive horrible.. unless its ruined? What diff is it? If its all standard that wont be your problem imo.

As for coilovers, Racelands meet your budget. Really shite coilovers, soft spring rates, go very low though.. but feels almost like OEM suspension to me, with a drop.

If your going to track the car, drift it or keep it, or what ever.. Id advise saving up and buying something better than Racelands etc. If you buy cheap you'll buy twice. Mark my words. :)

11. Nutty

Nutty New Member

Above is all good advice, with regards to tyres Toyo T1Rs seem a popular choice and we find them pretty good, bought a set of R1Rs last summer quite a lot stickier and much better in the wet.

12. mint

mint touch my fruit

^ Yeah, I also just fitted T1R's last week for Crail drift day :p Good tyres.

13. slammedflex

slammedflex Member

Where are you finding the best place for bushes?? Getting a eunos in the next week

14. RaginWaxedYeti

Thanks guys. At the moment I'm saving up for some Toyo tyres and I reckon I will wait and save for a decent coilover package. The poly bushes will be third on the list.

Cheers for all the feed back guys!!!!!

15. richie_k83

richie_k83 Well-Known Member

Good Geo setup will help a lot I would say, mine has had a fair bit of suspension work done since rebuild despite running TA Coilies until i can get summat nicer (Currently polybushed, cusco sway bars, geo set up and Kaaz 1.5way LSD)

That aside, it still feels really planted in the twisty bits, proper go kart :)

16. Irmantas

Irmantas Member