AE86 Coupe Vs Hatch?

Thread in 'Drifting Chat / Pictures / Videos' started by MADDO, Apr 2, 2014.

Tags:
  1. MADDO

MADDO New Member

Hey guys,

I'm completely new to drifting and this forum so forgive me if this question is easily answered! :) I've been saving some money to purchase a drift car and get into rather than just watch. I really like AE86s, doesn't matter if it a hatch or coupe but I can't decide which? If there is any substantial difference between the two then obviously I would go for the better. I know about coupes being lighter and stiffer in the back but does it make that much difference for a novice drifter?

Thanks for any replies :)

2. PeterT

PeterT fuck diffin.

No difference in the drive of the car. or mechanicals. Theyre a seriously fun car but not ideal for learning as parts can be pricey enough for when you smack them

3. charlieog1243

charlieog1243 Member

if his locations australia the parts are not too bad to buy plus is easy to import from japan!

4. PeterT

PeterT fuck diffin.

oh yeh, didnt see that. either way, both will be the same. And thats from experience

5. Tony N

Tony N Member

You can get more wheels into a hatch :D

6. MADDO

MADDO New Member

How come the hatch is more popular? Just for nostalgia or because they are used in D1 or?

7. stichy

stichy Member

I personally just prefer the styling of the hatch.

8. Damien

Damien ~London Folk~

coupe is marginally lighter due to no huge boot/glass. IF you want to be mega anal you can say the body has less flex etc but I never noticed any difference.

As above, expensive and time consuming when things break as people who have owned them will tell you.

Fun cars but I wouldn't pay the price tag for another.

9. BigJames

BigJames A.K.A Jay

They sold loads more hatches.

10. lewyS14a

lewyS14a Active Member

Yeah the coupe wasn't available over here just hatch if im right in thinking ?

Im not sure if its anything to do with D1 as the majority seem to use coupes for said reasons above. I think most people when they think AE86 they think Initial D so they want a Panda Trueno hatch.

I paid 4.5k for my decent spec coupe years ago and i thought that was getting steep in price. 6k these days seems to only get you a AE86 with a few minor upgrades and i wouldn't pay that in all honesty but they are great fun to drive cars.

#10 lewyS14a, Apr 3, 2014
    Last edited: Apr 3, 2014
  11. MADDO

MADDO New Member

Thanks for the info guys its all stuff I'll have to consider and think about before buying anything. If anybody has any suggestions of a better learner drift car let me know.

12. Jiimmii

Jiimmii New Member

S13 silvia, cheap parts easy to work on, multiple performance options, conversions, sky's the limit really oh and your budget lol, but a mate just picked up a s13 q's for $3200 ( aud ) with a budget of 10 grand his already fitted coil overs strut braces, mini spool, enkie to piece rims drift button, etc etc and he hasn't even come close to his budget, so now his buying a rb26 to drop in the s13. Most parts being second hand but you get the idea.

13. Bagpuss

Bagpuss Member

Personally I prefer the shape of the coupe, although I'm biased as I own a Levin coupe :thumbs:

I'd say the ae86 is an excellent car to learn in, it's light weight and the engine can take a lot of abuse (although saying that, I recently had to swap mine out after killing the big end bearings). Maintenance costs are high with corollas, and finding parts can at times be a nightmare, so if you get one be prepared to have it sitting still for a while when something goes wrong.

The biggest factor with older cars is budget, if you can afford to buy and maintain it then I say go for it, mines great fun (when it's working)!