CLK55 AMG - S.Wales

Thread in 'Misc for sale' started by BountyHunter, Apr 23, 2014.

1. BountyHunter

BountyHunter Member

CLK55 AMG
    2000 X reg

[​IMG]

100k miles
    9 months mot
    Tax end July
    PAS
    Electric Windows
    Optional Avantgarde Interior (grey/black)
    Genuine AMG Monoblock Alloys – front tyres = good pilot sports, rears = pilot sports but pretty well worn.
    Genuine AMG bodykit
    OEM Car Phone – still works, just needs an orange sim ( if im travelling long distance I put my sim in it, otherwise i use a payg sim and forward my usual phone to it)
    Mercedes COMAND
    Cruise Control
    Heated Seats
    Orthopedic Seats (this is great, so comfortable and very adjustable) – a very expensive option
    Multifunction Steering Wheel controls

[​IMG]

The car was mot’d about 6 weeks ago, and needed front tyres and a ball joint (oem Mercedes). It had a common fault of leaking hose by the petrol tank pump output this is a pig to replace and as such is often left until it fully fails but i had it replaced also had the fuel filter replaced at the same time.
    The front brake pads were changed last week (pagids).
    The battery failed last weekend and ive fitted the one from my Chimaera to it atm

This car was Mercedes answer to the M3, and in fact out accelerates any standard E36/46 M3 (except the CSL), it also handles very well as contrary to expectations its weight is on a par with the M3. The adaptive 5 speed autobox delivers clean quick shifts and even has a full manual mode via the stick.

I’ve owned quite a few performance cars, but this still stuns me in just how competent it is in so many areas. The acceleration is blistering with a fantastic V8 growl under full throttle (a small and popular mod has been made to the manifold/downpipe area to achieve this) . Yet on a run it will cruise in near silence and return 30 mpg !!!!! (thats not a one off either, ive done it several times, as have many member of the Mercedes forums).

short vid clip here
    2013-06-30162912_zps9ea98b1d.mp4 Video by my_stuff_4sale | Photobucket

No car is perfect and ofc even this car has a few niggles and i feel its best to be open and honest.
    Unfortunately the optional avantgarde steering wheel used in this model is susceptible to the upper part discolouring – and this has happened to mine.
    Mercedes of this age often have rusty panels, and whilst this car has not suffered like many there is some small spots in a few areas – I’d just like to reiterate this is not too bad.
    The battery failed last week, and since then the radio isnt working – this seems to be common with Mercedes of this age with some electrical systems taking time to resynch (no idea why but an hour on google showed me it seems to happen quite regularly)
    The Aircon does not work – now most people try and tell you “oh it just needs regassing” but as i said honesty is a much better policy. I’ve had the system checked and there’s no pressure, they told me the condenser has been holed (air con radiator to you and I) – replacements can be had from about £55 upwards plus of course regassing.
    I’ve lost the original service book – a replacement can be had from Mercedes, but they charge circa £50 for the pleasure of stamping it and I was too stubborn to do this.

I’m really going to miss the car as its been fabulous, but summer is calling and i’m one of those sad convertible fans and I simply can’t justify running this, a TVR and a track car all at the same time.

This is a rare car (afaik less than 160 were brought into the UK) but watching recent adverts and taking all things into account I think my price is very reasonable and realistic.
    It is of course HPI clear

£4495

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

#1 BountyHunter, Apr 23, 2014
    Last edited: May 3, 2014
  2. BountyHunter

BountyHunter Member

ive had 3 people ask me by pm how this compares to an M3 - so i thought id post something here that i put on a forum I use shortly after i bought the car. (sorry for the essay guys)

" well i’ve owned a lot of BMW’s including a couple of M3’s of both E36 M3 Evo and E46 M3 flavour so im in a good position to answer.

They are 2 very different approaches to a performance coupe – for sure the M3 is a more precision tool, put it on a track or drive it occasionally on a tight twisty road and it’s probably better suited.
    Thats not to say the AMG wont do either of those scenarios, it will and it wont be an issue, its just the M3 would as i say be a little better suited. Well until its brakes run out, as they do with spirited driving in any E36/46 M3. If you wanted to slide an drift round a track, well the toruqe of the AMG might make that a better prospect, till its tyres run out anyways, lol.

Used regularly as a daily driver both round town or on longer trips the AMG is in a class of its own, and with its AMG tuned suspension it too handles the twisties really nicely
    The performance is breathtaking and it sounds the part as well (the M3 sounds good too, but is edged out by the range and quality of noises the V8 makes) but unlike an M3’s i6 you don’t have to rev the AMG V8 hard all the time as the torque is immense even from tickover. The brakes are outstanding giving instant stopping power form any speed and with no fading apparent (its well known that the BMW suffers in this department) the driving position is nice and the seats so comfortable even on seriously long journeys (mine has the expensive orthopaedic option, but even the standard seats are great), the suspension is firm but gives a surprisingly good ride (the M3 suspension is too firmly spring for any real comfort and while it has good seats I do often start to get back ache on longer trips).

Both great cars, both very useable
    But only one of them makes a superb all rounder / daily driver and as a died in the wool BMW fan I never thought id be saying this, but its the car from Stuttgart with the 3 pointed star that achieves the prizes here, not the one from Bavaria with the blue and white propeller badge."