-DORI LABS- Three six.

Thread in 'Project Cars and Builds Threads' started by ReceiveBacon, Jun 4, 2014.

1. ReceiveBacon

ReceiveBacon New Member

Thought I'd fire up a thread about this. After 2 years of trouble free daily and drift duties I love it too much to get rid now. So its staying and getting fixed.

How it starts is we took a trip down to Melton Mowbray and picked it up, completely standard, seemingly looked after and un-drifted. This was important because I didnt trust any drift spec e36 owners. After becoming one myself, I was right.

Anyway, here's how it looked when I got it home

[​IMG]

It sat for a while before I could insure it and of course the only thing to do was gut the inside and go wheel shopping!

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

So I finally got it on the road, drove it straight to dori labs HQ and spannered away for a full weekend. Fitted the standard OMP and a ridiculously fat spec bucket which is completely useless and brutal on the cheeks, but I'm lazy so its still there, fucking thing.

[​IMG]

Also gave it a quick service and got the coilovers, wheels and 318 diff beefily weldinated and fitted

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

And that was that, just floated around in it for a while not really drifting, dealing with a shit seat and shit ebay coilovers and a welder for no reason. Especially since I wasnt confident enough to do anything more than a roundabout.

Then I got my act together and did a couple of soggy crail days... And obviously I was ontop of the world after holding my first skids

[​IMG]

Obligatory shot of getting out to fix the tyres that I mashed all over the place

[​IMG]

Then suddenly something amazing happened, Driftland opened just an hours drive from my house. My mate Dan hit the first practice day in his zenki

[​IMG]

I still remember it, the atmosphere was electric and it was the first time any of the team had cut our teeth on anything remotely technical. Had to have a go, so I signed up

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Loved it but ended up really struggling due to a lack of experience and what turned out to be a ridiculously badly aligned front end. Also ran over an indicator announcing to my passenger "HAHA some dicks indicators fallen out!" turns out it was mine...

So I ended up lifestyling about a bit, and lifestyled my way up to driftland a couple of times.

[​IMG]

Then the grand opening of driftland happened. It was brilliant but then Dan decided his car was a pancake

[​IMG]

Dafty. After that put the fear in me I took a step back and considered the silliness of what we do with our time. I ended up moving into a flat and the car ended up looking a bit worse for wear.

[​IMG]

So a couple of weeks passed and I heard that the zenki was getting reshelled and caged. And I thought fuck it, I'm not giving up. Then set about trying to make the car look and work better.

What I arrived at was painting it white and fitting a big ass wing. Johnstone's own outdoor metal and gate paint was chosen:

[​IMG]

And the big gay wing

[​IMG]

Decided I didnt like the wing, So I took it off and lowered the car hunners.

[​IMG]

Then went back to skidding, Did a crail thrash

[​IMG]

Loved it! So I got my shit together and fitted all the parts I had lying around. Superstyle hubs, E46 arms and a z3 steering rack included. Then lowered it more and went back to crail for a private day with the rest of the team. Best day skidding yet.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Let dan have a go, and he never rolled it. Result!

[​IMG]

And that was that.

[​IMG]

#1 ReceiveBacon, Jun 4, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Mar 6, 2017
  2. ReceiveBacon

ReceiveBacon New Member

Even though I loved the way it looked, the car was scraping on absolutely everything and I lost my splitter on the way home. took it to get an alignment and while it was on the ramps had a proper look underneath, it wasnt good

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Everything had taken a beating, the rack, ARB, sump, subframe, fuel filter and downpipe. Both chassis rails were split on both sides. Some emergency raising took place and It was parked up to get fixed. Then I thought fuck it and did another crail day, this time with the guys from Status Unknown. Also got some silly shotgun pipes in the meantime

[​IMG]

Unfortunately thats how my car looked for most of the day, my engine mounts gave up completely and I nursed it home with the gearbox sitting on the chassis brace and the sump getting intimate with the road, fun.

On the plus side I got to watch, and ended up having a go in one of these absolute go-karts

[​IMG]

Really had to pound its wee minge in to get anywhere which I wasnt used to and I SUCKED. but it was fun.

So thats pretty much where I'm at, got the engine mounts fixed and did one last driftland day with the troops. Last time I was there I could hardly hold a skid but this time I was managing 3rd gear in the big corner most of the time, which was mega!

[​IMG]

The day after that my tax ran out and my insurance was up. So I took it for a wee drive and then parked it up to get fixed properly.

Plan is to fix all the little issues, reinforce the whole underneath and fit all the parts I've collected because Its near enough an awesome well sorted skidder. Also finally going to fit a hydro!

So thats that, Cheers.

Last pic, cuz i like it

[​IMG]

3. RC3010

RC3010 Member

Was a privilege to see this thing at driftland on Friday, awesome car and driver, keep doing what your doing :)

4. HOODS

HOODS Member

I'm not a dafty! Also didn't decide my car was a pancake. Driftland decided it wanted a pancake lol

Awesome car man. Was a joy to skid :)

Makes me hit eBay and look at e36's all the time.

5. ReceiveBacon

ReceiveBacon New Member

Did some arch fettling to try and get more clearance

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Enjoyed full lock for a little but then oh no

[​IMG]

Standard 328 behaviour

[​IMG]

Engine out

[​IMG]

Off to its new home, how practical are verts??

[​IMG]

New engine arriving in the makeshift pickup.

Its now fitted along with a lightweight flywheel, paddle clutch and braided clutch line with the cdv removed, dying to try it out. Loom needs plugged back in and the engine needs fluids and what not then fingers crossed it'll all work. Solid chance it will never turn over again though, pretty much just winging it at this point.

6. ReceiveBacon

ReceiveBacon New Member

[video]http://vid1109.photobucket.com/albums/h431/BaconReceive/10483105_282862098586383_1171044094_n.mp4[/video]

Finally got it running after 11 days straight working on it. Got it running right and it pulls way better than my old one, took it up to driftland for a shakedown.

[​IMG]

Made a bit of a hash of it really, pissing wet and no front grip, fell off a few times, burst the fuel filter and boiled the coolant which is 95% water just now. Then stuffed it nose first up the grass verge, luckily there was no real damage but I gave up on mine and took a shot in my mates vert

[​IMG]

#6 ReceiveBacon, Sep 3, 2014
    Last edited: Sep 3, 2014
  7. eg-iain

eg-iain Member

So much love for this car! So glad its back up and running, love the pic of the vert too nice angle!

8. DanMateX

DanMateX Member

9. NoelB

NoelB Member

That's a wicked looking 36 man. Came a long way

10. ReceiveBacon

ReceiveBacon New Member

Since getting the new engine in I've been hearing some ominous noises from the back of the car. A second or so after setting off there is a single loud knock, doesnt occur when pulling off very gently. And when reversing I'm getting a crazy amount of judder and jerkiness, like trying to do a tight turn with the welder, but all the time. I'm going to have a look at it tomorrow but does the issue jump out at anyone?

i'm assuming its just a good few shagged bushes at the back