Clutch lasted a grand total of one drift day....

Thread in 'Technical Questions' started by Pete_the_Russian, Jun 16, 2014.

1. turbokick

turbokick Member

If you think there's no way to fuck up a clutch install it's obvious who is the "smart people". Only to mention one thing - they could not have aligned it correctly with the alignment tool...I even have seen (one time) "smart people" instaling a clutch on back to front...

2. mint

mint touch my fruit

Pete, I dont know why your asking Driftworks of all places dude.. you know what this place is like ffs. Your going to get every answer under the sun before the right one comes up.

FYI turbokick.. We have done this before ;) Iv never used a clutch alignment tool and iv personally changed a butt load of clutches on various cars and never once had a problem. Same can be said for most people I drift with / know up here. You know shit. Now go back to your corner.

3. Ruishy1

Ruishy1 Active Member

The alignment tool is only needed to line it up so you can get the splined shaft in, once the box is on the clutch is aligned even if it wasn't before !

4. Pete_the_Russian

Back to front clutch install! Lmao! You will struggle fitting the pressure plate on with the clutch back to front. And if you somehow manage to fit the pressure plate on, you deserve a medal.

Alignment tool only needed to get the box on. And alignment is easily done by eye. So argument of alignment is kinda invalid.

Yea Mint, I know its Driftworks. But I really want people to back up their statements. Forum is supposed to be used for help. But for some reason people just churn words out that might as well have come out of their arses.

5. Ruishy1

Ruishy1 Active Member

The school holidays have come around again........

6. mint

mint touch my fruit

Yeah exactly! Thats what I mean, people such as this guy up top here.. has marched on in, claiming your the stupid one, because you didnt use a clutch alignment tool and that you may have fitted it backwards...

I mean anyone who has ever swapped a clutch.. would just laugh at that reply :p

Ruishy.. I think your right mate.. I think your right.

7. turbokick

turbokick Member

Fucken idiot, I see what kind of clutches you have changed by the multiple rubbish that you write in all posts. Judging by the absolute shit you speak I'm sure you don't have a driving license. GFY and speak with other idiots like you that install clutches that last 2 days and see no posibility to have fucked something when installing.

8. Ruishy1

Ruishy1 Active Member

Lol what a wazzock !

I installed a clutch and aligned it using a screwdriver wrapped in masking tape and I worked fine, I didn't need any special tools.

But since you're obviously a "special" person you can continue to believe what you like :)

9. zornyan

zornyan Guest

Did you check engagement of the clutch after install? As in bleed through the slave cylinder, and then adjust the clutch pedal so the bite point is correct? Easy to forgot and can basically mean its constantly slipping?

You say you fitted a new flywheel? Was it a oem replacement? Did you get it checked to see if it needed a skim? I have seen a few 'new' flywheels fairly poorly machined from the factory.

Finally do they use a clutch fork as per 200s etc? If so is was it damaged at all?

10. mint

mint touch my fruit

Totally man, Iv no idea wtf im on about, Never actually drifted before.. You see the JZX in my sig? Thats actually an RC car I drift with.. Im getting my licence when I turn 17 though!!! ;)

11. Pete_the_Russian

Yea, man. The installation part was all legit. The biting point was nice and low, and had a rather firm bite to it and it definitely wasnt constantly slipping, lol. The clutch is self adjusting, so didnt bother adjusting anything. The flywheel we put in was in a pretty good condition. It wasnt brand spanking new, but it wasnt like it needed a skim or anything like that.

I can assure you guys that the clutch was installed properly without any issues and all was in working order.

12. Pete_the_Russian

What time shall I pick you up from school today, darling?

13. milez

milez Active Member

its the correct one, How fucked is it? I may be able to get it sorted for you

14. chodjinn

chodjinn Active Member

You can install a clutch disc incorrectly. There is only one way to fit a cover plate due to locating dowels etc. The disc should only go in one way, and the pressure plate can certainly be put on with the clutch disc the wrong way round. It happened to me when I had a Pug GTi Dimma years ago. The guy I bought it from had a new clutch fitted the week before I bought it, and when I got it, it lasted less than 150miles before destroying itself. When redone by my local place, they said the clutch disc had been installed the wrong way round. This resulted in the pressure springs catching on the clutch cover and gradually wearing away, and when one gave way completely the clutch detonated.

Not all clutched are the same, so it won't happen in all cases obviously, but you wanted real experiences. How easy was it to change gear before the clutch went? As in when you were driving it, and noticeable difference in the gearbox?

Given your explanation of what happened, I'll wager you either got a bad-batch clutch disc, or the disc was in fact installed the wrong way round.

15. Pete_the_Russian

I wouldnt be surprised if its down to the rivets dude.

16. Pete_the_Russian

I can guarantee that the clutch disk was fitted the right way round. The gears were easy to change prior to clutch swap, after clutch swap and even now. I know this from experience of changing a fair amount of clutches, and also the fact that the friction plate wont seat up to the flywheel because the springs will be interfering with it.

#56 Pete_the_Russian, Jun 19, 2014
    Last edited: Jun 19, 2014
  17. chodjinn

chodjinn Active Member

Yup rivets, not springs lol. Fair enough, hope you figure it out then.

#57 chodjinn, Jun 19, 2014
    Last edited: Jun 19, 2014
  18. Pete_the_Russian

I think its been figured out on page 1 or possibly 2... Inexperienced driver doing clutch slips, haha.

19. zornyan

zornyan Guest

Was only suggesting easy mistakes. I will say this though.

It sounds like it could be your flywheel, i had a slipping clutch on my s13 when i got it and when removed the flywheel looked mint, although after taking it to a machine shop it required a skim.

Got said flywheel skimmed and the clutch went back it and lasted till i broke the car a year later with 300bhp and 270 torques :)

20. Ross.

Ross. Active Member

oh the irony