Running no intercooler on drift car...........

Thread in 'Technical Questions' started by danboirst, Aug 24, 2014.

1. danboirst

danboirst Member

right before everybody thinks im silly.. ive just been researching DAIGO SAITOS new D1GP car.. its running 1000BHP and runs no intercooler at all.. see below...

[​IMG]

its working very well on his car and also has the gains of obviously less weight over front wheels and the face of still being able to continue drifting is takes any knocks to the front end without suffering front air leaks from damaged intercooler etc..

anyone think this is a good idea or bad idea??

2. danfst

danfst Member

Is it not in the boot with the rad and some fans?

3. danboirst

danboirst Member

nope the pipe in the pic comes straight off the turbo straight to the inlet.. just has the radiator and fuel system in the boot.. that's what's got me confused.. I thought you would need the intercooler as a necessity ..

4. C1arke

C1arke Member

There that cheep, weight that little I dont see the point in not having 1

5. danboirst

danboirst Member

yes well I have same views but made be you don't actually need one?? if you see exactly the same performance without one then what's the point having 1?? I mean I no the intake temps must be higher without an intercooler surely but if it doesn't make a difference then surely it will be better without one... would I be right in thinking it would be better for lag time?? air having a shorter distance to travel etc??

6. chidley

chidley i like fingers

yes you need one. and at 1000hp he will certainly need one.

Hot air is less dense and therefore contains less molecules of oxygen per unit volume. This means less air for the motor in a given stroke and therefore less power produced.

Hot air also causes a higher cylinder temperature and therefore can aid in pre-detonation of the combustion cycle causing what we call, detonation.

He WILL have an intercooler somewhere

7. 1N5_N15

1N5_N15 Member

Is he running water injection or some other auxiliary form of cooling?
    Is it still run on petrol?

8. raggo

raggo Member

Intercoolers generally help as they reduce intake temps but there's other ways round it like water injection and I think running certain other fuels so you don't need one. The whole lag thing with Intercoolers depends who you talk to as some people say it makes a difference and others say it doesn't but I guess it must slightly so that could be another reason, and running one pipe which joins the turbo straight to the inlet is going to give you much less chance of boost leaks or any problems like that.

9. xan_lee

xan_lee Member

LOTS of drag engines use no intercooler as they run on methanol/alcohol. It burns a lot cooler than petrol, so they can tune it without one.

10. bigdave z20

bigdave z20 Member

Looked at it myself and lots of people talking about it ATM too. Defo doesn't look like he has an intercooler. I think he's running mega high octane racefuel and maybe some crazy meth set up.

11. xan_lee

xan_lee Member

12. danboirst

danboirst Member

yeh I didn't think about the different race fuels actually.. do you think that running it like he is and water injection alone would keep it cool enough?? or have to convert to race fuels as well as I would like to run without an intercooler IF and that's a BIG IF it wouldwork properly..

13. akinadan79

akinadan79 Active Member

It would be interesting to see all of the engine data throughout one his runs (compare duration/where it sits in the power band/temps etc.) and see what it's actually doing. For a run where it's on boost for a relatively short period of time would the lack of i/c make a huge noticeable difference compared to a sprint lap of the Snet' 300 circuit for example.....I don't know as I'm no expert?

Either way if it works for him then it works for him I suppose, regardless of what the theory would suggest.

14. danboirst

danboirst Member

yeh I suppose if you use a car for more that just a couple of drift runs as in my car is fully road legal and I do some times drive at weekends etc then I should stick to using as intercooler but like his car which is purely comp use only it probly doesn't matter much..

15. JonnyOk

JonnyOk Member

I would say he's using water injection to bring the intake temps down.
    Wouldn't say it's financially worth it considering intercoolers are so cheap.

16. Nichols92

Nichols92 Member

If it is ran on meth/ethanol, it wont have as high temps in the chamber. And like said above it is ran for a couple of laps throughout the day as opposed to all day everyday and drift events.

17. chodjinn

chodjinn Active Member

If its run on high octane fuel (110+) with methanol injection it will be fine with the right tune, since the engine is only ran for a short period of time. Would be no good for a track car or daily etc. He might have a built in chargecooler in the inlet but doubt it.

18. speedykonzales

Thinking out loud here. The turbo sucks in a given amount of air, it gets hot and enters engine. Now we install an intercooler, turbo sucks in the same amount of air, but it will be cooled down and then enters the engine. Where do the extra oxygen molecules come from when it's the same amount sucked in and the system is airtight? I'm probably missing something here but what? :D

E: Hope I didn't ask a seriously stupid question.

#18 speedykonzales, Aug 24, 2014
    Last edited: Aug 24, 2014
  19. Matt_slater

Matt_slater Member

It might be just to run the engine before the rest of the front end is finished?

20. Stavros

Stavros Active Member

If he's running Methanol, or E85, and I think he's running Methanol, he don't really need one.

People can see 150degC+ turbo outlet temps and still see 50degC or less at the inlet valve using methanol fuel.

And there's turbo cars pushing a LOT more than 1000bhp without intercoolers.

But for normal setups like every man and his dog runs, a big front mount is a must, even 99% of peoples v-mount cooler efforts etc etc are total shite if they checked inlet temps.

In my experience, you CAN do similar, albeit maybe not at 300bhp+ per litre, on pump fuel using water injection and no cooler, but you have to do it RIGHT, not just fit some random water injection kit and expect magic to happen.

#20 Stavros, Aug 24, 2014
    Last edited: Aug 24, 2014