My ex-D1SL FC RX7

Thread in 'Project Cars and Builds Threads' started by Stavros, Jan 9, 2010.

1. retro-ed

retro-ed Flicks 'n' Kicks

Looking wicked Stav.

When it is done you should come and join the fun at some RDC events.. best fun comp drifting there is.. no qualifying, just names in a hat then battle away :)

2. Stavros

Stavros Active Member

Mild update- ECU is fixed- It WAS a problem with the ECU all along, like I said, though took some convincing for them to believe me. It was a software problem, a bizzare setting in the base map. Fuck knows how their earlier 'testing' didn't pick it up. All sorted now, and a mate sorted out the iffy 'new' loom, so all is well.

Put the GC05As on it too. 9x17 front, 9x18 rear. Rear, despite being effectively -5 (ET20 and 25mm spacer) and a 245 on it, I reckon still needs to go out another 10mm. Also I've totally gone off the BN Sports front bumper.

Looks decent though.

[​IMG]

Few more mild bits and bobs to sort and it can actually go back for attempt no2 at mapping so I can actually use the thing...

3. joelhachiroku

joelhachiroku Member

What bumper you going for instead

4. Stavros

Stavros Active Member

Probably the SexyStyle one which is very similar just more angular. BN one looks too much like a blob for some reason, I liked it last week so maybe my eyes are just going funny lol.

5. Terror Factor

Terror Factor Member

every time I see your rx, I feel like I can't settle for anything else -_- what an awesome car!

6. joelhachiroku

joelhachiroku Member

I know what you mean ive got bn but can never decide on that or factory s5.

7. adomz

adomz Fixin`Repairin

Good work Stav, glad they acknowledged the ECU nonsense and you are a happyer bunny now :) Can't wait to see it all finished and tearing up tarmac! :)

Adam

8. NoelB

NoelB Member

Wow great ta see this, had no idea that my favourite fc ever was this side of the world. Love it.

9. Stavros

Stavros Active Member

Suppose I better update this as I haven't for ages.
    Been a fucking nightmare, literally every unusual and unexpected problem you can imagine, has happened. No common problems, none at all, all just odd ones.
    So tomorrow it's being mapped, only about 6 months later than expected, so can finally use more than about 1/8 throttle and 2500rpm. Or it blows up before the mapping is over, who knows.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

10. danfst

danfst Member

This is the gayest, most awesome thing ever. Just spent ages reading it through. Can you let us now how the mapping goes? Fingers crossed everything goes well.

11. tion

tion Member

Holly shit this thing is on the road,the roundabouts wont be the same again round here .what wheels are those you are using

12. 59bhp

59bhp Member

this may sound like an odd question but back when you were building the white AE86 you had a large, plastic waterjug installed where the back seats used to be, ever since i wondered what the hell it was for? mind sharing as its been driving me nuts? :p

badass car btw.

13. initial_j

initial_j Made guy

awesome to see it alive again. Wheels look bad ass.

Lots of videos when mapped please!

14. craig-dodd

craig-dodd New Member

15. MC2

MC2 Active Member

Any news on the mapping Stav? fingers crossed.

16. Stavros

Stavros Active Member

Well, unsurprisingly considering the fucking bizarre nightmare of unusual problems this car has been, mapping today could've went better, and the car is still far from done.

Good points-

1- It sounds fucking INSANE, I really mean it too, like a flippin, I dunno, not like any normal V8 at all, like some kind of LeMans car, proper proper angry, and sounds like it's got anti-lag on the overrun with pops n bangs, flames too.

2- It didn't blow up despite being raped on the rollers all day.

3- It maxed out the stock 1UZ injectors by 6.5k, so it must be making ok power (so much for them being good for 400bhp?! As I doubt it made near that...).

4- It now drives 1000 times better than it's been so far, and a mild touch of the throttle in 1st in the dry and 275wide Yoko semi-slicks spin.

Shit points-

1- It maxed out the injectors, so need to buy bigger ones.

2- Something, crank trigger wheel it seems, is stopping it going past about 6700, it's like it's hitting a horrible rev limiter- It's probably got about 2000rpm to go. So needs a new one making. This is fully gay as a LOT of effort was put in to making this correct, and we was told to do it this more complex way (for some bizarre reason I can no longer remember), and that's the main reason it's wrong. Mapper could see no reason it wasn't done the simple way either.

3- The plug leads are shit and don't fit properly- I knew they didn't at plug end, but don't properly at coil end either. Wish I went coil on plug now.

4- The wiring is a bit iffy and plugs keep randomly unpinning themselves. I knew this already tbf. Pissed off though.

5- The throttle doesn't return fast enough, sticks now n again, n the throttles aren't quite sync'ing. This should be a fairly easy fix.

6- It's STILL not fixed and today cost me another fucking £400 quid.

So yeah, err, gay. Pretty fully gay. Won't bother going to RetroRides this weekend in it then- Only wanted to to smoke up the hillclimb.

My mate filmed a couple of the runs on his iPhone, I've not seen the vids yet, but going by the insane amount of noise it makes, I doubt if they mic picked it up anyhow.

#1336 Stavros, Aug 27, 2014
    Last edited: Aug 27, 2014
  17. Bricey

Bricey Member

Awesome car Stav good to see it running, is that the shell garage on the Gloucester road?

18. Stavros

Stavros Active Member

Yes mate, that's the one

19. Terror Factor

Terror Factor Member

Nice, finally some updates! Hope you have a bit more luck in the future though. You should be getting close to the end, hold on! :D

20. xan_lee

xan_lee Member