Where do you go to drift?

Thread in 'Drifting Chat / Pictures / Videos' started by ChrisDe, Sep 18, 2014.

1. ChrisDe

ChrisDe Member

Sorry to be such a n00b, but I have google'd this and not found much. Where exactly do you guys go to (legally) drift? I've done one drift day at Oulton Park drift track, and I've seen MSV also do drift days at Snetterton, but other than that where can I go to practice drifting? Are there many more specifically designed drift tracks like Oulton Park? When I google it I can only find Oulton, Snetterton, and Santa Pod. The problem is Oulton and Snetterton only seem to have one more drift day this year (not sure why they don't do any in winter considering it doesn't matter if it is wet?). If anyone knows of any drift tracks (or even just open tarmac areas that you're allowed to slide around on) in the North East of England or anywhere near, that would be great.

Also a related question - do they normally wet the track for drift days? I know they did at Oulton but I'm not sure if they do this at other tracks or not.

Oh and one more thing that it doesn't seem worth starting a separate thread for: If I get an MX5 and want to get the diff welded, is that something any garage can do? I know f*ck all when it comes to mechanics (though keen to learn). I know people say just get a mate with a welder to do it, but I only have one friend with a welder and I don't think he'd know exactly what needs welding to what if I just said can you weld my diff.

Thanks
    Chris

2. pecs

pecs Member

Would be intrested to no where people go drifting.

3. docwra

docwra Active Member

I believe at the moment you have regular days at Santa Pod, Snetterton, Buxton and Oulton and occasional days at Teeside, Birmingham wheels, Smeathorpe, Lydden Hill, Norfolk Arena and Pembrey.
    Anglesey were doing days but I dont know if theres going to be any more, Ive personally started doing trackdays and forgoing massive wand entries for high speed at decent circuits but theres always the danger of the Black Flag :eek:

4. Aaron328

Aaron328 Member

North east? Where exactly. There's a mate of mine running semi-legal days in east yorkshire. If you're a faceache user have a look at humberside drift scene.

5. ChrisDe

ChrisDe Member

haha yeah last time I did a normal track day we got told off for drifting. There are no more drift days at Oulton and Snetterton after October (until next spring presumably), but I'll check out the other places you mentioned

- - - Updated - - -

lol semi-legal? I live in Humberside so sounds promising

6. coconat

coconat Member

Teesside Autodrome - They often run drift days, usually one per month which tends to fall on a weekend day, costs around £90 (full track) or £60 (west track) open pit, limited to a number of cars

Really awesome track, my first and only drift day was there starting out on the west track which is quite technical then in the afternoon it opened up to the full track (west and national), it was amazingly good fun and the seat time was really good (they limit the number), I was only waiting in a queue about 2-3 minutes between runs

Best thing to do is to like both pages on FB (there's a Teesside Drifting page and a 'person' you can add, I would recommend both)

They often announce/take deposits randomly and sometimes it fills up quick so best to follow it there

7. initial_j

initial_j Made guy

they dont wet the track up no. Im becoming more and more convinced you have done a skid pan experience and are getting it confused with drifting.

this is a skid pan session, learning how to control a car in a slide

[video=youtube;9uwLq5x3_Ec]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9uwLq5x3_Ec[/video]

This is drifting:

This is what goes on at a drift day. Hopefully now posts on your previous thread will make sense.

It isnt a lets all line up one at a time and take turns getting the tiniest bit sideways on a big corner with a huge run off, Its a live racetrack, cars everywhere at high speeds with lots of things to hit, hence people think you are stupid for buying an e92 m3 to learn in.

#7 initial_j, Sep 23, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Mar 6, 2017
  8. Stavros

Stavros Active Member

They do wet the track at Oulton, it's a very low speed narrow track they use for drifting there.

It's not like any other drift days in the UK.

9. initial_j

initial_j Made guy

Thought that might be the case. It all makes a lot more sense now

10. gt4tosupra

gt4tosupra Active Member

Ye they wet the track due to the neighbours in the close vicinity apparently. I enjoyed it there. The locals were less than friendly tho about putting my tyre back on my rim, as it had moved a bit lol