After all your experiences with various drift cars, what car would you ideally have?

Thread in 'Drifting Chat / Pictures / Videos' started by Stavros, Sep 15, 2014.

1. Ruishy1

Ruishy1 Active Member

where did you get those figures ?

2. zornyan

zornyan Guest

Several different online websites that have data for most production cars.

Funnily enough a very low Co efficient car is a Toyota prius

To add there are simple things to help the mx5s. First off the rear bumper is like a parachute, so cutting some of it down/adding holes helps.

A properly designed front splitter with side flares seems to help front end downforce, a hardtop helps slightly but a hardtop with a roof spoiler will help, as the back end of the car has basically a large void which renders most small spoilers useless

#42 zornyan, Sep 21, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 21, 2014
  3. Stavros

Stavros Active Member

Well, this thread has turned in to a right load of internet theory numbers bollocks guessing game.

4. Ruishy1

Ruishy1 Active Member

We are not talking about downforce, we are talking about drag.
    BTW I dunno where you get your figures, but being in the aviation industry the past 14 years I can tell you without a shadow of a doubt that an mx5 will be more aerodynamic than an e36. that's real world experience, not google.

5. status unknown

I ditched my sr'd s13 off for my mx5, there's something about those mazdas that's soo much fun. Most people slate them until they've driven them tbh. And like stav said, with a set of knuckles on the front it's like piloting a flea

6. neil a walker

neil a walker Active Member

Fuck off, it's my imaginary car combo. I'll do what i want! And yes, I'd have an S50B30 in it. Same output as an E24 M6. Balance is kept and it'll do the job lovely.

7. zornyan

zornyan Guest

What makes you say it's more aerodynamic? E36 were designed in wind tunnels were they not? I remember reading that they were one of the few production cars of the time that used computer programs to help with the aerodynamics, at least the m3 was

8. initial_j

initial_j Made guy

stop what your doing right now. turn the computer off, go out and get laid!

9. mint

mint touch my fruit

LMFAO! ^

Seriously.. this is drifting ffs.. Not a single person on here is going to take aero dynamics into consideration with this sport. What the fuck!

If we were setting times, we would be grip driving.. not drifting. This thread is for drifting so no more gay talk about mathes and wind tunnels and pointless shite.

10. Angelic0-

Angelic0- Member

In your face !

11. Angelic0-

Angelic0- Member

An S50B30 would outperform a M88 in many ways... it's lighter for an example... it has more low-end... (VANOS).. and consumes less fuel..

S38 on the other hand... a B38... would be the perfect....

12. AndyS3

AndyS3 Member

Shame this WAS an interesting read - great thread idea

13. Chunky Nugget

Chunky Nugget honkeytits!!

I still love my S13 with CA powers, done me proud for years. Drifted many many cars, but S13 chassis is just so nice and simple, Id say perfect really for skids and adjustment. I much prefer drifting low power cars because it forces you to drive better, and flat out constantly, which is just where its at for me ha ha.

14. DK_Denmark

DK_Denmark Member

If I may include my humble oppinion here. I started drifting Rookie on tracks in a Supra MK4 NA which stripped down to bare shell actually was a great learner. Being on tracks I was able to push my limits and the barge was very easy to control in the "slow" drifts.

I rapidly progressed as I attended pretty much every event available here in Denmark and soon found myself out of power. I could go NA-T or change car. I chose another car. A Skyline GTS-T build for PRO in Ireland with 380bhp. This has moved my limits even more and I have never driven anything that controlable. I have now sold my precious in order to buy a 350z which I hope will be just as rewarding to drive. ;)

[​IMG]

Have a nice day everyone:wave:

15. n1tr0_9

n1tr0_9 Member

My signature tells the story. Built a nice s14 and did some trackdays. Loved it. Wanted to get into drifting but was scared I would crash it. So I bought an e36 325. Great car till the head gasket went, so I scrapped it and built the Rover of doom. Awesome car, got lots of comments. Did six drift days then it ate the prop shaft and I had some other niggles with it. So now im back in the s14. Going to start drifting that as I can almost hold a drift now!

#55 n1tr0_9, Oct 7, 2014
    Last edited: Oct 7, 2014
  16. Jazakius

Jazakius Member

Hi

Firstly great thread idea!

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I remember reading a post from you before stating that a supercharged mx5 would be better for drifting than a turbo. So my question is, why wouldn't your ideal drifter be a supercharged mx5, instead of the turbo? Is it purely because getting 400 bhp on a supercharged 1.8 BP engine would be a bit of a push?

Just got rid of my mx5 :( I am a noob when it comes to car experience but the day I put Gaz Gold Pro suspension in my mx5, the handling was transformed and it did feel very much like driving an over sized, under powered go kart! Any way check out this vid of what we did to my mx5:

17. Stavros

Stavros Active Member

Hi there.

Yes, to drift, supercharged is way better, there's guys on here with vids of them easily drifting in 4th in MX5s with only just over 200bhp with their supercharged ones, and my old Merc with only ~230bhp drifted as well as cars I've had with tons more power due to how superchargers deliver power.

The problem is, a 400bhp 1.8-2ltr turbo engine is fairly easy, and can be reliable too, and drive well.
    A supercharged 400bhp one isn't so easy to say the least.