BMW E36 powered by COSWORTH YB

Thread in 'Project Cars and Builds Threads' started by alexey.e36, Sep 22, 2014.

1. alexey.e36

alexey.e36 New Member

Hello I am alex from Spain .
    I present my project, street legal Bmw e36 with Cosworth YB Engine

without spin I detail the modifications :
    chassis:
    - Rear Cage reinforced cups and diff supports
    - Reinforcement of the rear axle and subframe
    - All bushes powerflex and strongflex
    - Reinforced trailing arms
    - The front geo completely new
    - Front silenblock replaced by uniball
    - Coilovers Hsd Monopro
    - Steering rack 4mm spacers for more lock
    - 330i e46 front and rear breaks
    - hydraulic handbrack placed in the original place, good for police eyes lol
    - Bf goodrich steel hoses for breakes
    - alpina oem wheels: front 17x8.5 et13 with 215/40 federal 595rsr, rear 17x10 et27 with 215/45 chine

Engine :
    - Standard engine from sierra cosworth 2rm revised, new gaskets kit (non head), water pump, sparks, coil... complete normal revision
    - Turbo wastegate actuator -31
    - Ecu chip stage 1 (270hp)
    - 4x4 injectors
    - Intercooler and and pipes 3 "
    - All black silicone hoses
    - bosch 044 fuel pump
    - m3 321hp water radiator
    - mb 2 big fans for radiator

gearbox and diff:
    - t5 codworth completely rebuild gearbox
    - bmw rebuild 188mm diff with 4.10 ratio and 40% lock

The car now is in testing stage and have pending following modifications:

- mod hubs for more lock and reduce anckerman angle.
    - want to boost more the engine, and make it reliable. i use my car very casual and drift. i want get 380-400cv what I think will be enough.

for make this hp i think put holset hy35 turbo, siemens 55lb injectors, gra oil pump, multi layer head gasket, apropiate chip or megasquirt. is this will be good configuration, i want low rpm and fast spool, i see dome borg warner twin scrool turbos but its very big diference of price with holset, is this diference its proportional in power?
    I would like to know your opinion and recomendation for make 380-400hp reability with fast spool. grace beforehand. and sorry for my English

[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

2. alexey.e36

alexey.e36 New Member

seat from nissan skyline r32
    [​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

3. alexey.e36

alexey.e36 New Member

I forgot, runing ceramic clutch and modied propshaft with no rub coupling, its direct, feel much better and more direct power, but dont recomend for street, for start move the care a lot of vibration, but for race and drift its perfect

4. ben-yates

ben-yates Member

very decent, intresting engine choice, what made you choose a cossy over m50 turbo?

5. kam

kam I've touched Chris Parry

Awesome! Any pictures of what you've done to the trailing arms?

6. alexey.e36

alexey.e36 New Member

i bougt complete sierra cosworth crashed for very very good price, its very strong and powerfull engine and less weight. Can get decent power easy and reability.

7. alexey.e36

alexey.e36 New Member

sorry i dont mod trailing arms, its translate mistake, i reinforced control arms as you can see in the pictures

8. DanMateX

DanMateX Member

9. xan_lee

xan_lee Member

Awesome car dude!

10. Stavros

Stavros Active Member

Badass. A proper engine for once.

Ref what you said earlier, you're running the 2wd Cossie manifold by the looks of the pics, which is a proper twin scroll T3 manifold, so personally I'd be making the most of that with a twin scroll T3 turbo.

You have two problems though, but not too bad to get past....

Firstly, you will need to convert the manifold to run an external wastegate (or ideally 2, 1 off each scroll).

Secondly (and I've tried myself!) almost all twin scroll turbos are just a little to big to fit to a standard 2wd manifold without touching something. For example, I tried fitting a Holset HX35 12cm twin scroll to one, and the compressor housing is so big it was hitting the lower part of the manifold.
    The solution to this is do what many do, and make/fit a spacer plate (just 30mm or so I think will do it) between the two halves of the manifold, which makes room for the turbo to fit, and could even run the external wastegates of that part if you like.

I think even a HY35 would hit the manifold if fitted as the compressor is just as big as a HX one.

OR just buy a tubular twin scroll manifold with external wastegate off Opplinger Motorsport in Italy.
    [​IMG]

11. alexey.e36

alexey.e36 New Member

Thanks for this information, the exhaust manifold is 2wd, but its no problem, onr of the my best friends works making complete exhaust systems, and he can make me exhaust manifold.
    i see mome your posts and i see you know a lot of cosworth engines.
    i didnt know that holser is twin scroll, i prefer it for fast spool.
    can i use HX35W with internal watsegate? o i must use external one for more performance? internal wastgate its more simple and all year technical inspection in spain will not see this mod, external wastgate its more visible.

witch be beter for drift hx35 or hy35?
    before put big turbo i will rebuild my engine but with stock internals than are very good quality and i think for 380-400 dond need spend money for other. only will put good high presure oil pump, headgasket multilayer. its will be ok for my block 205?

how much can i rev my engine with this specs ? and how much boost i need?

I would like to know your opinion and what would you do as if your car. Thanks[emoji16]

12. alexey.e36

alexey.e36 New Member

i am forgot ask, lol
    its beter one holstes turboa for my propose or cossie mod t34 ?

13. xan_lee

xan_lee Member

De donde eres?

I would just bolt on a T34.63 and the common stage 3 package(premade chip, injectors, etc) for 400bhp ideally. Simple, reliable and proven for over 20 years(and stock looking for the ITV). Just my opinion. :thumbs:
    I would only use the holset if aiming for 500bhp.

14. Stavros

Stavros Active Member

"Stg3" won't get close to 400bhp, that's just greens etc.

But in all honesty, the most fun YBs in my eyes are T35 with a .48 turbine, greys, L8 or P8 ECU, and mega boost, 30psi+.

It won't make quite 400bhp (360-380?), but it will be incredibly responsive, mega torque, and overall great to drive.

I'd only go Holset if I wanted 400bhp or more, and you'd have to run external gate with HX35 (standard internal gate is just too small), but you may be ok with the HY35 internal gate, but that is a single scroll turbo (though spools very very fast for its size).

And yeah, I'd just stick with the 205 block, as although the 200 should be better, lots of 200 blocks fail as they're bad for some reason, and seen lots of 205 blocks make well over 500bhp for a long time no problem.

15. xan_lee

xan_lee Member

Well, yes, basically that. Been long since I was within the cosworth scene.

16. R32 GTR

R32 GTR Active Member

great build, goot to see someone doing something different

17. icebluesmx5

icebluesmx5 Member

Car looks great where abouts in spain a you drifting.

18. ludi

ludi Active Member

I would recommend a Borg Warner S200SX! Cheap, Durable, good for 500hp on a 2L engine and spools as fast as a GT2871R. :)

Your car is awesome dude! Keep us up to date.

Best Regards, ludi

19. alexey.e36

alexey.e36 New Member

ok thanks!! send you pm.

20. alexey.e36

alexey.e36 New Member

ok thanks for information, whis is +/- the same thing i was loocking but with holset, and if t34 get me simular power like yo say i prefer it!! .48 its enought for 380? musk spool very quick jaja and 30psi its ok for stock engine? i want good reability, prefer some more lag o lees hp but dont broke it jaja and in your opinion for this stage what rpm cut will be good? when drift many times use max rpm and whant not damage engine so fast jaja