What's Vanos??

Thread in 'Drifting Chat / Pictures / Videos' started by spiritoftrixy, Oct 11, 2014.

1. spiritoftrixy

spiritoftrixy Member

Just bought a 323ci and learning about them I'm a 200sx man through and through. But I have two and they are forever havin work done or not working. So I wanted a cheap daily skid car.
    What's vanos on a e46 bmw and also should I get rid of the abs pump, have done on my 200's
    Any ideas are good, cheats peops

2. Swampy442

Swampy442 Active Member

Vanos is BMWs variable valve timing system I believe

3. spiritoftrixy

spiritoftrixy Member

Am I correct in thinking it's not all models??

4. gt4tosupra

gt4tosupra Active Member

5. fast_gtst

fast_gtst Member

I used to have a 1996 320i and it had chain cambelt as opposed to cable one and I was warned not to buy that model as VANOS was problematic on some BMs (not sure how chain belt has anything to do with VANOS) and apparently that model was one of them. Mechanics advised me BMW apparently made another 2 litre sometime later which didnt have a chain belt and no VANOS issues. Anyway got rid of mine within a week of owning it

6. Stavros

Stavros Active Member

The 90-92 one of your engine had no vanos, but still chain. Vanos wasn't any more of an issue on your than any other.
    Old M20 2ltr engines were belt, but they're also not as good.
    Hope you didn't sell your car just because of the shit those mechanics were feeding you.

7. pecs

pecs Member

What stavros said, if you got rid because of that I think you made a bit of a mistake.

8. fast_gtst

fast_gtst Member

when you live in london where decent garages are pretty hard to come by you kinda gotta listen to any one willing to work on your machine well pretty much every mechanic I came by who only knew how to replace parts and not fix anything... anyway i did sell it and yes i regret it as it was a belgium import?? weirdly a right hand drive and one of the cleanest cars i owned being 96 only had 26k miles on the clock

#8 fast_gtst, Oct 12, 2014
    Last edited: Oct 12, 2014
  9. docwra

docwra Active Member

1) I think youll find there are more garages in London than anywhere else.
    2) Umm, you got the information you needed without asking within 3 posts on a drifting forum. How quickly would you have found out on a BMW forum? Not being funny but if someone told me I needed to sell my car because of an issue Id probably have a quick google first ..........

10. zornyan

zornyan Guest

But remember doc, we're in 2014 and common sense is in short supply....

11. fast_gtst

fast_gtst Member

doc, i wasnt looking for any information, spiritoftrixy was.... read the whole thread man. i was just telling my experince. also i sold the car because it had other problems which i didnt mention

12. Angelic0-

Angelic0- Member

BMW has implemented VANOS on their engines since 1993, Valvetronic then came later.. or in 2002 or there about...

First generation Valvetronic is something you should stay away from, VANOS is a completely solid piece of engineering...

S50B30 (M3 engines) with VANOS and GT4094R will spool before 3000rpm, with VANOS disabled... no spool until right before 5000rpm...

That's how much of a difference VANOS will make... a significant difference in LOW end on non-turbo engines is to be found aswell...

If you have a OBD scanner, i suggest you go about your drifting with everything in order... then unplug the vanos actuators (both if you have a M52TU or M54 engine) and try it again.... you will have to source your skidding in the higher rpm range... plug them in again and clear codes !

13. spiritoftrixy

spiritoftrixy Member

Thanks angelic for the information without the needless slating of other people's rides!!!
    Sorry but I'm a total newbie to beamers, so what engine would I have with a 323ci 99/2000??
    Cheers!!

14. Chunky899

Chunky899 Member

M52B23 I believe Spiritoftrixy

15. 00smartt

00smartt New Member

Check out realoem.com. I use that site weekly to check for parts and diagrams.

It should give you engine model number and part number.

I just replace my vanos seals and an intake manifold swap on my e46. Used realoem to research it all.

16. spiritoftrixy

spiritoftrixy Member

Thanks lads!!!