How easy can compacts be made to drift?

Thread in 'Drifting Chat / Pictures / Videos' started by jakemk2, Oct 3, 2014.

1. jakemk2

jakemk2 Member

I have been looking at parts such as strut braces. Will the usual e36 one's fit on a compact?

2. jakemk2

jakemk2 Member

Also would chipping the car make any noticable difference?

#22 jakemk2, Oct 8, 2014
    Last edited: Oct 8, 2014
  3. Andy318ti

Andy318ti Active Member

Weld the diff then skid it, buy coils and polyurethane bushes to make the car stable.
    Then when your on the lockstops consider lock mods. My compact will skid 3rd but takes speed and clutch kicks galore.

4. B3AM3R

B3AM3R Member

Don't forget the strut bars. There good value even if theyre expensive for a little steel pipe. Front, back and lower x brace. It feels so much more stiff.

chipping will make a big difference, but only with a few mods like a bigger manifold. After changing the manifold it won't run that well, so the difference will be enormous. If the engine is stock, save the money for fuel and tyres, they're better value then.

5. jakemk2

jakemk2 Member

I was already looking into Strut Bars. I found some which aren't too much money.

Also what mods will need to be done if the car was to be chipped? To be able to handle the power increase.

6. gt4tosupra

gt4tosupra Active Member

U have much to learn Daniel san
    [​IMG]

7. jakemk2

jakemk2 Member

8. gt4tosupra

gt4tosupra Active Member

9. jakemk2

jakemk2 Member

I will post them later as i'm at work ATM. and once I have worked how to actually post them onto this thread without them being just a link.

10. gt4tosupra

gt4tosupra Active Member

Use tapatalk on your mobile it's a great app

11. jakemk2

jakemk2 Member

12. Angelic0-

Angelic0- Member

E36 318i and E36 318ti use different engines...

E36 318ti comes with either M42B18 or M44B19... both of wich are upward of 150horsepower...

The E46 318ti has a N42B20 VALVETRONIC POS... and you will have endless trouble with it....

Either way i would try to source a E36 316ti and swap in a M50B25 or a M52B28....

If you are limited to the stock engine, the E36 318ti is a better choice than the E46... both E36 and E46 will have the smaller diff... and smaller axles... so welding the diff will only result in them breaking (axles) unless you gut all the interior (lightweight)...

For a very good drift setup, any E36 ti (compact) will do, they share the same wheelbase as all the other E36, just lighter...

Get a set of coilovers, upgrade front brakes to something like E46 330i/d brakes....

Weld the diff or install LSD... (if you PM me the last 7 in your VIN, i can see if it has factory LSD)

Upgrade your clutch, get a hydro handbrake...

and you're set to go !

13. Andy318ti

Andy318ti Active Member

get a hydro handbrake...

No! learn without one. It's not needed to begin

14. Angelic0-

Angelic0- Member

you do realize, that the OEM handbrake is a "inside drum" design.... POS...

15. gt4tosupra

gt4tosupra Active Member

Aren't all handbrakes like that? Every Toyota I've had has that too

16. Stavros

Stavros Active Member

The point is, you don't need a fucking handbrake to drift.

Nothing wrong with internal drum if it works properly anyhow, 200SX ones etc are that too.

17. Angelic0-

Angelic0- Member

I don't use a handbrake on my rig....

BUT... with a M42 or M44... you might find it handy...

18. doughnutter

doughnutter Member

Front one is identical.

Yes, raise rev limit to really scream about!

This!!

This!!

Maintain it and it works a treat, mine locks up at well over a ton even with 215/40/17's in the dry.

This!

Not at all. Handbrake slows you down. The last thing you need with low power cars. Watch some videos of Ueo in a Corrolla. Take compact and drive the same. Win.

Nice to see you went and got one dude! They are awesome little cars! I love them, lighter than a Saloon / Coupe so better power to weight. They don't have as much grip though as they essentially use a E30 rear setup but with 5 stud hubs so you get the bonus of better wheel choice. You can still get decent grip with good tyre choice and working with the pressures though and if in the future you stick a bigger engine in, do the subframe raise, diff spacing for super grip or the hub correction mods.

I ran a E36 compact at the weekend in Drift Cup Street class at Lydden Hill, stock 2.8 engine conversion, coilovers and a little extra lock, I came 3rd place and won battles against cars with much more hp. Its how you drive them, flat to the floor and you'll be ok.

I was going to suggest that one of the instructors at Flatout Factory has one for sale (Kenny) thats pretty well specced for a beginner car, harnesses, welder, coilover and spare rims. You can't have more fun for less than a grand and the way you have to drive them makes you a better drifter in the long run rather than having to rely on power. / wand to drift. Get yourself down to one of the Flatout Factory days for 1/2 day tuition and you'll be hanging it out in no time!!

19. XDCghost

XDCghost New Member

Hi guys any one know if a 323 e46 2000 ecu with key and locks will work on a e36 323 engine for my conversion ??

20. zornyan

zornyan Guest

Since there's some bmw knowledge being thrown around here. How the fuck do you guys get your handbrake to even work?!

No seriously I'm not even talking about drifting, I've fitted new shoes and a fitting kit on my 328 and the handbrake is worse than useless, I can push the car near enough with it fully up!

Did the whole bollocks procedure, tightened them with the disc on then backed off, drove using the handbrake at intervals to bed in. Still shit.