NZ RB25 two tone S13

Thread in 'Project Cars and Builds Threads' started by BenRice, Apr 28, 2014.

1. Tertil

Tertil Member

Awesome car mate. One thing I must say, what makes you think a full weld in cage would be hard to keep street legal? My C34 has a proper full cage, with cross bars on both sides and even holes in the firewall where my cage pokes through to the front struts, and mine is left alone by the cops no problem at all. I'm in bloody Christchurch where half the cops HATE cars like ours, too!

2. BenRice

BenRice Well-Known Member

The car is certed for all the major stuff at the moment. It's my understanding if i made a full cage fitted i would need a authority card which would replace the cert.

Then there's the issue of caging a perfectly good S13, and there are bugger all left on the roads now. I've got a good relationship with Taupo track management and they allow me to take passengers with my bolt in halfcage and harnesses because they know i don't drive like an idiot. I've added padding around the hoop of the cage too.

And then there's the cost, looking at around $2k, plus all the homologation costs and other documentation needed, along with needing current harnesses and a fixed back seat for the passenger.

When i eventually sell the car, having it still able to be used as a 4 seater road car and having the mint, uncut interior will hopefully help widen the market.

3. 1N5_N15

1N5_N15 Member

Saw you in the magazine was stoked to see you getting some local coverage
    Keep it up love your work!

4. BenRice

Thanks man. Was pretty stoked, especially on a page with a bunch of mates too.

Come over for the Zeroclass day at Taupo on Saturday and I'll take you for a ride if you want. Just BYO helmet.

5. 1N5_N15

1N5_N15 Member

Ohh that'd be cool but taupo is a bit much of a trek from the south island haha

6. BenRice

Oh for some reason I thought you were in Taranaki

7. BenRice

So Saturday was pretty good. I was quite hesitant about it as there were a lot of new faces seeing as though most of the old crowd had sold up and moved on. In the end there was enough of us there to keep vibe sweet and chilled.

Up and on the road by 6:30am, we rolled in the gate 2 hours later and parked up next to the S-Club dudes (aka local Toyota legends) and my mate Corey in his 280rwkw TD06 powered S14, running fresh Origin. The a-frame setup always draws a few stares.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

My mate Neal turned up a little later in his recently refurbished Cefiro, so the three of us jumped out to try doing some team shit. It didn't really work as the Cefiro is heavy, slow and was on shit tyres, Corey's S14 is fast and I was only running 215's. We needed to swap Corey and me around and it should work better. Sadly Neal started getting a knock from the engine and Corey shat a driveshaft universal putting them both out of action.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

My handbrake shat the bed early on which limited where i could safely enter. I now have some grand plans in the works to fit a hydraulic handbrake in the dash by relocating the stereo to the glovebox, and putting the heater controls in the centre consol and putting the new AVC-R there.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

I was trialling a new camera mount on the boot and was pretty happy with how the footage came out. I've got a lot of footage to go through but threw this together showing a mate Ben Jenkins spinning out, me drifting around him then into pitstraight manjis.

I was also trialling the Goldways, in 215/40, on the chrome RT5's. They were almost identical to the Tri-Aces, maybe even wearing better but ever so slightly didn't smoke as well. Good to have two brands to use now though.

It was around 22deg C at it's peak but the car really only got over 100deg once when we started doing full track stuff. But the old girl kept going and was one of the last left out there at 4pm. I went out and did more work on linking the pitstraight into the sweeper - the final corner is a switch and a half away, so i needed to pick my nuts up and speed up towards the end. I thought i had it until I went for the handbrake, forgetting it was now made of cheese, so overshot and ended up in the gravel. No damage, but a good sign that it was time to pack up.

[​IMG]

There was a good range of cars there; around 4-5 competition cars, some good styled street-spec cars but sadly the usual hunks of shit. If you want to see any of the other cars there check out these pages:

Ambition Works - https://m.facebook.com/513022928777592/albums/779020272177855/?refid=17&ref=bookmark&_ft_&__tn__=C
    Autofocused - https://m.facebook.com/288379574554723/albums/752590681466941/?ref=bookmark
    Motonerd - https://m.facebook.com/Motonerdnz/albums/331356520359007/?refid=17&ref=bookmark&_ft_&__tn__=C
    Illusive - https://m.facebook.com/elusivenz?ref=bookmark&refid=17&_ft_&__tn__=C
    Devolution - https://m.facebook.com/121640093363/albums/10152414482338364/?ref=bookmark
    Fancy - https://m.facebook.com/fancyfotoz?ref=bookmark&refid=17&_ft_&__tn__=C
    MadMax - https://m.facebook.com/madmaxphotography/albums/789016004490672/?refid=17&_ft_&__tn__=C

I'll be putting it into road spec now and getting it a WOF (super strict MOT) and driving it on the road over summer. If i can save enough cash I'll get some T1R's for the front to replace the NS2's and get the AVC-R installed and retuned too. A mate is getting married next Feb and wants to hire a track so I'll try get it all sussed for then.

8. SHIZNT

SHIZNT Member

Good shit Ben love your work as always brother

9. Retro - Slide

Retro - Slide Member

Love a two tone S13! And to make it even better an RB25! Nice build dude. :D

10. BenRice

Thanks guys, will be wheeling the old girl out for a decent clean on the weekend then will get started on the stereo relocation.

Am undecided on how to progress the hydraulic handbrake install. I really want it to be as stealth as possible so in the dash is going to be the location. I'll need a make bent handle to snake out, and the cylinder will needed to be mounted real solid to the tunnel. So it's all screaming custom, especially with the PSM kits needing to be braced, and the braided lines being rather conspicuous.

Once i've got the space clear I'll start measuring up what will fit and start making up a template for the cylinder mount. Hoping to end up with something like this but with the bend higher so it doesn't need the console to be cut:

[​IMG]

11. BenRice

More footage from the day. My mate JD in the passenger seat is nursing a noisy bottom end in his car at the moment so was good to get him out and show him a good time. He seemed to like it.

12. BenRice

Decided to go for the PSM kit

[​IMG]

Will save us a lot of fab time, especially as the mounting is going to be harder.

Will be using a mounting plate, but unlike others will be bolting it to the tunnel via a second mounting plate located underneath the tunnel steel. Main reason is we only have access to a TIG setup. It will mean welding nuts onto the bottom plate and sliding it up above the gearbox, then sliding bolts through the top plate, through holes in the tunnel and then thread into the bottom plate. My mate has done this to his Cefiro and I've had a jam on it and found it nice and solid. The determining factor will be how much room we have between the gearbox and tunnel to manoeuvre.

Have another mini-project in the pipeline: I scored an S13 washer bottle with two water pumps in it last week.

One reason is my old one got smashed up on the track, but the second pump is what I'm interested in most. One of the pumps is dead, so i'll be replacing it with the high pressure Commodore one. This will be then rigged up to a radiator and oil cooler sprayer. Probably 3x jets for the radiator and 1x for the oil cooler. Will need a one-way check valve to stop the water just running out but the rest of the bits i already have courtesy of doing the garden irrigation at home recently.

Will mean no suds in the washer bottle though, unless i can work out to have a separate, inline mixing bottle....hmmmmmm

13. smithdrifting

smithdrifting New Member

Awesome awesome build, driving and the all the rest. Two toned s13 is one of my dream cars, and this is a perfect example of a nice one! iv just brought a c33 laurel (rb20det) gotta start somewhere, hopefully catch you at the track some time soon man, hopefully be done early 2015!
    was also wondering hope you attached that camera mount etc. because that is perfect angle/view.

Keep up the good work!

14. Fin

Fin Member

Just had a read through the entire thread! Loving this ps13 mate Is nz strict on modded cars on the roads ? Because I struggled to get roadworthy on my s13 in South Africa haha (and it's probably the most corrupt country there is )

15. 1N5_N15

1N5_N15 Member

How often would you run the sprayers ie how much capacity would you need? I got a nice compact little washer bottle for an old car with limited space for one, i'm sure you could tidily mount two of them in one corner of the bay one with suds and one without?

Might have held about a litre from memory

16. BenRice

Thanks mate. Laurel's a good choice, heaps of bits available for them. The camera mount is just some 15mm box section with a couple holes drilled inline with the factory boot spoiler holes and bolts to them. Pretty simple really.

NZ is stricter than most, but not as bad as Aus. Most small modifications (exhaust, bigger intercooler, air filters, lowered springs etc) are legal but once you get into engine swaps, coilovers, brake upgrades, rollcages you run into trouble. However we can pay engineers to sign off the bigger modifications to make them legal to drive on the street, just more cost involved.

I figured it'd only be on the track, and the idea being you spray before entering the section so the droplets are on the surfaces before it heats up. As the surfaces heat up the droplets take the heat with them as they evaporate. I'm doing maybe 7-8 laps of hard running, guesstimating 100ml each spray, so around a litre per session would be about right, then refill after the session is done. The S13 bottle looks to be about 2-3 litres so should be fine. The issue is getting enough pressure to mist the water, so a pump upgrade is required.

17. Fin

Fin Member

Shot for the info mate! And that gopro mount of yours is super interesting, gives one awesome angle ;) keen to test something similar on my car next time its ready for the track :D

#37 Fin, Dec 12, 2014
    Last edited: Dec 12, 2014
  18. TunerLifestyle

Hey buddy! loving the look of the car! What offset are the wheels you are running and do you have spacers on etc? also what tyre sizes?

im looking to get similar fitment on my PS, already have rolled and flared arches (y)

Cheers

Josh

19. BenRice

Fronts are 17x9 +22 with a 25mm bolt on spacer and S14 LCA (extra 7mm longer than S13). Camber set at -4.3deg. Guard has the lip flattened but not flared. Tyres 215/40 NS2 Nankangs but about to go to Toyos. 215/45 rubbed too much, 235/40 were too wide, 205/40 too small, 225/40 are too expensive.

Rears are 17x9.5 +26 with a 15mm slip on and extended wheel studs. Camber set at -0.5deg, guard lip flattened and large flare. Tyres 215/45 Neuton NT5000

Track wheels are 17x9 +38 for the Advans with 28mm of slip on and 215/45, or the chrome RT5's are 17x9 @ 0 with 215/40s. 215/45 on the 17x9's @ 0 rubbed a lot. Can run 235/40 or 45 on the Advans but need to drop the spacing down to 13mm to fit as am tucking the whole sidewall on compression.

20. TunerLifestyle

Thanks for the info buddy! Awesome car!

Little bit of inspiration for me!