My ex-D1SL FC RX7

Thread in 'Project Cars and Builds Threads' started by Stavros, Jan 9, 2010.

1. alanfordtw-15

alanfordtw-15 Member

yeah I know how a train of thought can lead to a simple n/a setup being the most sensible answer. but sensibility isnt why we drive old highly tuned cars sideways.

do you mean about the dynamic compression with the overlapping long duration cams that a bit of boost will actually escape straight out on the inlet stroke?
    reminds me of the norwegian volvo 240 with tt viper engine that makes 1k hp on 0.065psi of boost!!

ah yes, I did not think of the noise regs side of things. its gay, but being sent home from a race track is gayer. also didnt realise that it is still a full lenght system. was thinking more from an airflow and heat perspective. depends on how hot that box will actually get..

2. Stavros

Stavros Active Member

Yeah the pipes are awesome, machined angles so the welds properly penetrate, here's a close-up...
    [​IMG]

The turbo is a Holset HX60, divided T6, with a fairly (as HX60s go anyhow lol) small turbine housing. Chris from Compressor Racing (www.facebook.com/CompressorRacing) lent it me to mock it all up, and once that's done he's having it back to make it like new (mechanically, it is near as damnit anyhow tbf) and then we're good to go.

Exactly that mate.

And yeah, with longer cams cylinder pressure is always lower as the overlap means some escapes regardless, which is how n/a cars with big cams get away with bonkers compression ratios, and means turbos can run on higher than usual comp too.
    Thing is, normally overlap is shit for turbo cars, only really works well with massive turbos, but this is massive so it's fine lol.

Yeah, noise ending play is no fun. The entire system will be fully and totally heat wrapped, so would be able to put hand on it no bother.

And rad etc is going in the back.

#1382 Stavros, Nov 15, 2014
    Last edited: Nov 15, 2014
  3. mint

mint touch my fruit

None of any of this, means anything to me at all.... HOWEVER; those pipes look pretty fecking sweet ;) ;)
    I dont know what sorta works involved but is this something that will take a while or a quick job?

More so the point im trying to get at.. BRING IT TO DRIFTLAND FOR FINALBOSS 2!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

:) Continue the good work.

4. Stavros

Stavros Active Member

Won't take that long, I mean, look what's been done in about 3 hours lol.

Thomas reckoned 6 weeks, but frankly the next 3 months at least the weather is shat, so I'm in no rush.

When it was being built N/A, I was in a rush and just wanted to use it, as aside from actually using it, it wasn't exciting to me. This new setup is just retarded and more what I like (ie pointless stupid mad Gatebil type shit) so even when it's in bits it makes me happier than it did any time it was N/A lol.

5. Horton

Horton Member

That turbo.............Jesus

6. bigdave z20

bigdave z20 Member

Does he make 1JZ manifolds stavros? :)

Can't wait to see this thing running. Any idea what the response will be like?

7. Stavros

Stavros Active Member

Yeah inlet and exhaust.

Response should be decent, that's the plan. And running anti-lag too on top.

8. bigdave z20

bigdave z20 Member

Cool, might drop him a message when it comes to me getting one. Always nice to get stuff from a UK company where possible

9. Terror Factor

Terror Factor Member

yes, boost, finally!
    Where did you order the bumper/sideskirts by the way?

10. xan_lee

xan_lee Member

Sorry, I'm confused by the silencer on the front bumper?

11. initial_j

initial_j Made guy

im not going to jump on something im not an expert in but help me to understand:

That turbo looks ridiculously over sized and guessing your only going to be running it at low boost (in comparision with what its capable of producing)

Would it not make far more sense to run a smaller turbo at higher levels to achieve same amount of air but with less lag?

12. chrisyboi

chrisyboi Member

I thought this to^^

Also, not 100% relevant, but you seem to know your stuff stav so I will ask you. Why would you run a fuck off turbo like that over 2 smaller turbos? Would the big one move a much larger volume of air? Surely 2 smaller ones would be much more responsive?

Would running 1 big one at 2 bar, equate to running 2 smaller ones at 1 bar each?

Or have I just completely confused myself with bro maths haha. Sorry if it doesn't make sense.

13. Stavros

Stavros Active Member

Can't remember, one of these UK sellers who sell various Chinese shitty kits. But somehow it fits well.

Tell me what's confusing and I can explain.

14. xan_lee

xan_lee Member

Will that be part of the exhaust system then? Being you I thought it was some special tricky thing for other purpose.

15. Stavros

Stavros Active Member

Just an exhaust. 4in turbo back. But should be quiet enough to get past noise regs.

16. Blake7

Blake7 Member

What wheel and AR is on the hot side of that MAHOOSIVE turbo Stav?? Looks like a MAHOOSIVE truck turbo

Loving the build!

17. Ruishy1

Ruishy1 Active Member

That turbo is SPASTIC TASTIC HUGE !!!!
    Fucking love it !
    In reference to the pipe they come like that, it looks like sch10 pipe, proper good quality and not cheap !
    Tig welding those is so much nicer than doing normal pipe, prob part of the reason Thomas uses it.

18. Blake7

Blake7 Member

Yeah I follow him on Fb - love the crazy stuff that comes out his shop!

There's a ke70 running a china gt45 and some modest numbers - just wondered how this compared as I would think a 1.0+ AR on the hot side would be required not to strangle the engine

Just interested on sizing really!

Car Looks crazy good

19. Stavros

Stavros Active Member

Not sure what the a/r is, as despite internet bs, there's no direct relation between cm2 and a/r.

But it's not that huge, around about 1.0. There's a lot lot more to turbine flow than a/r, the wheel size is more important. It's only a big deal on Garrett GT/GTXs as they're massively under-turbined, so need a huge housing to not be a massive restriction.

But that turbo has a huge turbine wheel, so but a fairly small housing in comparison. High compression and big overlap cams, so I wanted a turbo with a free flowing turbine for minimum pre-turbo backpressure, or the cams wouldn't work with a turbo engine.

I'm not 100%, but I don't think the car has progressed much since the last pics, so no real update.

20. Blake7

Blake7 Member

That's worth knowing - been looking at either a used hx40w or a china gt45 (y2004k) for a remote setup in my 1uz 13 - never done a remote before though so I'm pretty much shooting in the dark on sizing this one.

Figured if I get it wrong it's a china/used turbo so it won't hurt the bank so bad lol.

Anyway, looking forward to seeing this progress - keep up the good work!