First time drifter - E36 318i

Thread in 'Project Cars and Builds Threads' started by DiarmaidE36, Sep 16, 2014.

1. DiarmaidE36

DiarmaidE36 Member

Unreal the difference the welded diff makes, car steps out so much easier now and way more fun :D locks mods and bucket seats next, any irish lads on here with cheap bucket seats for sale? [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] Cant wait to get it on a track

2. essexcapri25

essexcapri25 Member

No offence mate but don't bother adding more lock till you physically can't learn anymore with standard lock

3. DiarmaidE36

DiarmaidE36 Member

Is there anything else you'd reccomend so? :) I read on another post about an underpowered mx5 that the more angle you have through a corner the less likely you are to bog down, or is that a load of crap? I just dont want to go to a drift day and not be able to get sideways :p

4. DiarmaidE36

DiarmaidE36 Member

Short video from testing the diff :D

5. essexcapri25

essexcapri25 Member

Bmw have quite good lock as standard. If you want to get some more cheep lock get some lock spacer for the steering rack. Dw sell them I belive

6. DiarmaidE36

DiarmaidE36 Member

I was thinking about them too, i have a welder at hand anyway so the hubs wouldnt cost anything really to mod :) thanks :D

7. essexcapri25

essexcapri25 Member

I'd personally start with the rack spacers then if you still struggle after a couple of drift days then move on to the hubs and extended arms.

8. DiarmaidE36

DiarmaidE36 Member

Serviced the e36 yesterday, which cured the misfire and its way up on power now :D waiting to find out when the next drift day is and ill book it as soon as i find out

#28 DiarmaidE36, Oct 5, 2014
    Last edited: Oct 5, 2014
  9. DiarmaidE36

DiarmaidE36 Member

Turns out theres a new group running the local drift track now, went to book a space and theyre all out until next year so im on a reserve list now :banghead: aaand i think my clutch is on the way out, sh*t
    [​IMG]

10. TwentyValve86

TwentyValve86 New Member

This is the kind of build im planning on when I get there. Coming from the Japanese AE86 drift scene, this is how to do it. Low power, small wheels, loads of fun. Hoping I can find a way around MOT and insurance though...dont care to drive it on the road.

11. danfst

danfst Member

Your car is fine, loads of people seem to say that they need more lock cause they can't drift.

More angle means the car slows down more, so in an underpowered car you are more likely to bog down.

12. DiarmaidE36

DiarmaidE36 Member

Thats does seem to make more sense haha, I'm fairly new to all this so i appreciate the advice :)

13. DiarmaidE36

DiarmaidE36 Member

Only saw this now, yeah im just going to run 60 psi in the rear on 15's because i cant get the adapters made for 4x100 :/ anyway good luck with your build :thumbup:

14. DiarmaidE36

DiarmaidE36 Member

Got a call from the lads running the drift day to say that i got off the reserves and im now booked in for the 23rd of november in Tynagh :D heaps to do yet, going to borrow a welder during the week and get my bucket seat in. Also have a 4 point harness and tow straps being shipped as we speak ;)

15. willirl

willirl Member

16. DiarmaidE36

DiarmaidE36 Member

That's actually really handy, thanks :)

17. DiarmaidE36

DiarmaidE36 Member

[​IMG] 4 point harnesses were just delivered to school [emoji23] will get them in tomorrow

18. DiarmaidE36

DiarmaidE36 Member

Has anyone ever heard of the coke and flour quick fix for a slipping clutch? How much coke/flour do you put in? Clutch has started slipping but I haven't got the time to change it before the next drift day, help appreciated [​IMG]

19. DiarmaidE36

DiarmaidE36 Member

Have been burning the midnight oil trying to get this ready for the drift day on Sunday while juggling school work too, but I'm nearly there [​IMG]
    Got a bracket made up for my bucket seat and the 4 point harness, will have it all fitted tomorrow [​IMG]
    Cleared all the wires off the doors and got to of the electric window motors [​IMG]
    Sunroof was finally covered off for once and for all
    [​IMG]
    And the seat is nearly ready to go in [​IMG]
    All going to plan it should be ready by tomorrow night, on Saturday I'm doing prodrift academy driving some silvias, can't wait for this weekend! [emoji2]
    [​IMG]

20. willirl

willirl Member

you doing the saturday at the academy yeah?