Best place for trolley Jack

Thread in 'Other Chat' started by gt4tosupra, Nov 21, 2014.

1. gt4tosupra

gt4tosupra Active Member

Cheers swamps I'll have a look on there.

2. zornyan

zornyan Guest

You guys seriously whining about 17kg ffs? This pussyworks now?

A jack is a vital bit of equipment...if it fails and your under it, you die, if your lucky and your not under it, your car gets fucked.

Buy a proper one and be done with it. Before anyone asks I've carried my heavy old clarke jack around my yard and taken to drift days etc and it's never been that bad. Weighs a fuck load more than that thing the op posted to.

3. gt4tosupra

gt4tosupra Active Member

Only an idiot would take a risk of going under a car solely on a jack

4. zornyan

zornyan Guest

Very true but I've seen many people do it at drift days, and as mentioned even when people are just changing tyres there's a chance it could fail, which is not something I want a pissy alloy one to rely on considering you can see them flexing when lifting

5. Olliehood

Olliehood Member

Just got a sealey low entry. Was about 100 quid but it's steel and rather heavy.

Had one of the really small solid single front wheel blue point ones fall over when changing a wheel. Didn't fancy a light alloy one after that. Unsure what the bigger alloy ones are like. Friend had a Costco one for years and eventually let go. Seem good quality for money.

6. Chesh

Chesh Member

Another shout for the heavy ass tank ones. Got one a few years ago and it's genuinely the best, most useful bit of kit I've ever bought.

7. gt4tosupra

gt4tosupra Active Member

Feck it then I'll stick to what I know. Steel. The draper lasted 40 years and never bent or failed

8. eddie_r32

eddie_r32 Member

I have the arcan alloy one, had it about 6 years no issues, lifts my mitsubishi challenger with ease. If you use a decent low entry high lift jack you will realise how good they are and how much easier they make your life. Oh and you may of found a modern day equivalent to your dad's old one but things like that are not made as well as they once were!

9. gt4tosupra

gt4tosupra Active Member

Ye I know you'll be right there. Will defo not last the same time even tho it's supposed to be the 'same'
    My mate said if I do that, swap the main bolts over from the old one as the wriggle loose on the new ones

10. gt4tosupra

gt4tosupra Active Member

Someone send me a link to a low entry, 100mm or less, with 400mm max at least, for £100 max, I'll buy it. I cannot find the arcan alloy one it's gone

11. pharmed

pharmed Member

I lifted my Porsche cayenne turbo many times with the arcan Costco jack. It's absolutely fine. Never struggled buckled flexed or shown any weakness..

12. Yeah_Mick

Yeah_Mick Beauty Purr!

This isn't the arcan, but looks nearly identical, it is £20 over your budget, but is also 5kg lighter than what you already have.

Costco UK - SIP 1.5 Ton Lightweight Aluminium Racing Jack - Model 03902

13. gt4tosupra

gt4tosupra Active Member

That one there tho doesn't even lift very high for the expensive price

14. Ruishy1

Ruishy1 Active Member

15. gt4tosupra

gt4tosupra Active Member

1.25 ton tho is probably on the limit for a soarer?
    But if Clarke is decent then there's this
    [​IMG]
    Half the price, more weight limit, and same lowness and lift height

16. Ruishy1

Ruishy1 Active Member

Do what you like. There have been a dozen people trying to help and you seem set on buying one of those old crap things.
    We have done everything but actually buy it and fix your car for you, which im sure will be your next thread.

17. gt4tosupra

gt4tosupra Active Member

Lol. There's split opinion on this thread about buying alloy or steel, so dunno why your having a moan. Some are saying buy alloy, some are saying it bends, buy steel. The one u linked is expensive for what u get. The Clarke steel one lifts more weight, same height, but half the price?

18. mint

mint touch my fruit

My experience with them is.. buy cheap, buy twice.

I got a cheapish one from here and it hasnt lasted long :( I need a new one but i'll be doing my own research when the time comes.

19. BHPSeeker

BHPSeeker Member

Don't you know any mechanics?? Mate of mine is a mechanic and he gets me my tools through the tool salesman that comes around! got me a steel/ally MAC racing jack for £150 with lifetime warranty its probably about the same weight as yours will lift 3 tonne, low slung high lift and wide too so its never going to topple over!

Well worth it if you know someone in the trade!

20. eddie_r32

eddie_r32 Member

That Clarke one also looks shit and is made with probably shit stamped components , when people are saying Alu or steel they are meaning in the same style as the arcan one not in the style of a halfords drop a car on your head style