The HOLSET Thread

Thread in 'Technical Questions' started by dale_b, Nov 23, 2012.

1. Weasel155

Weasel155 New Member

So Holset gurus...

A guy with the same engine as myself is making 410hp@ 1.5bar 98RON and 445hp@ 1.5bar E85.
    This is using a proper twin scroll manifold and an EFR 7670 turbo with T4 0.92AR twin scroll housing.
    He makes 0.3bar at 3000rpm and hits full 1.5bar just before 3500rpm.

All things being the same or as near equal as possible, how would a HX35 with 12cm twin scroll perform on the same engine?
    Would it hit full boost earlier and make slightly less power at the same 1.5bar max boost?... do you think it could possibly outperform the more expensive snail?

Last question... if 12cm TS housing gives full boost at 3500rpm, when would full boost hit if you swap it for a 18cm TS?

2. Stavros

Stavros Active Member

EFR 7670 is a turbo the same sort of size as a HX35, but a fancy billet ball bearing mega bucks thing (Over $2000 plus shipping and taxes from FullRace).

It sounds from what you describe as it spools about the same, though a little faster (You'd hope it'd be much better for that much more money, but that depends a LOT on the engine and mapping- I've seen someone recently tweak the cam timing on their RB26 and full boost happened 500rpm sooner, and that was a smaller turbo than either mentioned here).

I made 470bhp@1.5bar on normal pump fuel on a 2ltr with a 9cm turbine and the ususal HX35 compressor wheel. stock head and cams, would've made more at the same boost with decent head flow.

Personally I'd have thought/expect the EFR to beat it on spool and power (considering it costs about 3-4 times as much, but the results you post aren't great.
    But maybe that means the setup/engine/mapping isn't great, so a HX35 would be even worse, who knows without even knowing the spec, never mind the car.

18cm is far too big for a HX35 in my opinion, on any engine really.

3. Weasel155

Weasel155 New Member

Thanks Stav.

I realise the results don't look great. 2ltr 924 engine is ancient though and even though the head's Porsche, it ain't the best flowing - we're talking 170CFM to around 190CFM for a highly modified one. It generally means you have to run more boost to get the power out of 'em, compared to modern multi-valve stuff.
    The Le Mans version of the same engine did 375 - 400hp so this Swedish guy is doing good although these power runs were just to get a baseline on the engine dyno with no tweaking.

Video of the run is here:-
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Maae0lF1mXs&feature=youtu.be

I think he's running a very long duration cam so spool up would be earlier with a fast road cam.
    My engine is a very similar spec to his so it's going to be interesting to see how the HX35 compares.

The HX35 I have is the Comp Racing one with 8 blade compressor. Is it true these tend to spool quicker than the 7 blade and make more power at lower boost levels?

4. Stavros

Stavros Active Member

From what I understand and have seen about 8-7-6 blade, then yes, but the difference isn't huge or anything.

Seems they all do ~600bhp at a push (a push being 35psi+, often 40+ lol), despite the 7-6 blade being slightly smaller inducer than the 8. The 8 seems to do better at boost pressures under about 1.5bar or so, but the 7-6 is slightly more efficient at higher boost.

12cm TS certainly is proven at 3.5k or so on 4G63s, loads on the DSM forum doing that, but maybe the head flow issue you mention will slow that- But maybe not too- I mean at the rpm when the turbo spools, its going to more about flow velocity; I doubt its mega different at low rpm.

5. 192_Nightmare

192_Nightmare Member

6. blownhemi

blownhemi Member

Well, that was a great deal. And it will be great on your engine, IF you can "tune" that clever VGT mechanism right.

7. Scotch

Scotch New Member

Stavros, Im running an Hy35 on my sr20. Its been rebuilt oem with metal HG and ARP Headstuds. with 550cc injectors and rom tune should I expect 350whp at 1 bar of boost? And once I get bigger injectors, 400hp @ 1.5bar? Does that seem about right?

8. Stavros

Stavros Active Member

Around that I'd say, depending what HY35 you have.

9. sulik

sulik Member

Hey Stavros i got a question about a new Holset setup to you. :)

I want to run a HX52 billet on my 1J, because i have changed my plans...i´m shooting for about 700RWHP anything more is bonus.

What do you think about the spool on a single scroll/ twin scroll manifold?
    I´m in contact with a guy in the USA, and he told me that the HX52 is a blast to drive!

The spool isn't bad it makes full boost at about 3900-4000rpm
    I'm running USdm 2jz cams machined to work with the 1jz head.

I´m not sure if i should use the EU-spec 2J cams too or if i should go with bigger duration cams.

The car will be driven on our german autobahn.
    It´s not a drift car. ^^

What do you think about it mate?

10. Stavros

Stavros Active Member

HX52s are awesome turbos.

Spool with the normal 16cm housing on a twin scroll manifold should be really good to be honest.

Not sure about cams, but don't go too wild, no more than 256 or maybe 264, just enough to make the power you need possible on your head- Let the boost do the work, as big cams just fuck up low down power.

Will be a beast for sure.

11. Flavius424

Flavius424 Member

Hi Stavros and other Holset addict !

I have a plan to have an HE351W but I don't found any information on this W version (not the CW)
    I have found that it have a divided turbine housing (like HX35 I think) But I don't found what size it is... I Think it will be smaller than 12cm², but not sure..

And all the other information :

Compressor inducer- 60mm
    Compressor exducer- 84.582mm
    Compressor trim- 54
    Turbine inducer- 65mm
    Turbine exducer- 58mm
    Turbine trim- 80

From the CW version.
    Is it the same on the W version ? I don't know...

As you say before, this turbo are a little bigger than the HY35 but newer and certainly with better conception, Do you know it will spool latter than a HY35 ? And than a HX35 ? (smaller turbine wheel, bigger compressor wheel... and smaller or egale turbine housing)

Actualy have an HX35 who is dead because of too small oil feed... (Fu**ing CA18 who have 1 or 1.2mm oil restrictor out of the engine block...) But love this turbo on this engine and would like to have another holset :p

Thanks

#891 Flavius424, Jan 7, 2015
    Last edited: Jan 8, 2015
  12. sulik

sulik Member

@Flavius424
    If you´re interested i´m selling my HE351CW turbo.
    Used it for about 1000km on 0,35bar wastegate spring on my 1JZ.
    It is a rebuilt + balanced unit too.

I want to sell it because i want to upgrade to a bigger unit (more a top end setup).
    If you are interested you can shoot me a pm. :)

#892 sulik, Jan 8, 2015
    Last edited: Jan 8, 2015
  13. Flavius424

Flavius424 Member

What about the spool on your 1JZ with this turbo ?

14. sulik

sulik Member

I think that stavros is the man when it comes to this specific question.
    Because i only "pushed" the turbo to 0,35bar. :wack:

From my butt feeling the turbo began to push about 3000RPM.
    It was on 440cc injectors with a SAFC too, not a good mapped car.

Here is a quote from him:

15. Stavros

Stavros Active Member

He HE351CW from a Dodge truck like Sulik has, has a 9cm non-divided housing.

Other HE351s I've seen have had 12cm divided housings, but there are problably other sizes too, though unlikely less than 12cm.

HE351s are basically almost always factory HX35-HX40 hybrids, ie HX40 sized compressor, HX35 size turbine.

16. Flavius424

Flavius424 Member

Ok Thanks you !

My vendor has confirmed these sizes of wheels
    Therefore, it's sure than the HE351W will spool slower than my ex HX35... And I wouldn't this.

I think the HE351CW will spool as or a little faster than a HX35.
    Now I'm confused and I don't know what buy...
    The HY35 will spool faster than the HE351CW I think.
    The HE341 is the newer version of the HY35 ? Same spool or faster of the HY35 ?

I would like a turbo who spool as or if possible a little faster than the HX35 and can delivred approx 500bhp

Thanks to help me on my choice ;)

17. Stavros

Stavros Active Member

In my opinion and experience.

HE351W with 12cm housing with spool a little slower than a HX35 with 12cm housing. Not much, as the only compressor wheel is different (bigger), but a bit.

HE351CW with the 9cm supposedly spools as fast if not faster than a HX35 12cm and makes at least as much power too. From what I've seen though, it's really best when pushed, under about 1.5bar you'd be better off with a HY35 on most engines, esp if under 2.5ltr.

HY35 spools like fuck and is proven at just over 500 on a 2.5, and much more on a 2ltr.

HE341 is very similar to a HY35, but has more efficient housings so spools a little bit faster. Pretty much what I had on my RB20, and it's pretty hard to believe something that big spooled so well on a super short stroke 2ltr.

Personally, on anything bigger than 2ltr, I'd probably be buying Sulik's HE351CW and giving that a go.

#897 Stavros, Jan 9, 2015
    Last edited: Jan 10, 2015
  18. Flavius424

Flavius424 Member

Thanks à lot Stavros !

You confirm what I think ;)
    Therefore , I will go for the he341, but can you tell me the part number of this turbo, because a lot of seller name it hy35w and not he341, I wouldn't buy the wrong lol

Thanks

19. sulik

sulik Member

Hey Stavros,

does all HY35 come with a T3 flange inlet?
    Because my friend told me that his T3 flange won´t fit... (i think it´s a wrong T4 one, but i haven´t seen it yet)

I think they are all T3 ones because of the small exhaust housings.

20. Stavros

Stavros Active Member

99% are T3, though I've seen T2 as well- Only one application I know of using a T2, but it exists. Never seen a T4 one, ever.

I've seen some 6cm (so tiny tiny housing) T4 flange (yep, no idea why either) HX35s too, but they're insanely rare too, 99% of them are T3 flange too.