Accident advice

Thread in 'Other Chat' started by initial_j, Dec 29, 2014.

1. MrLuke

MrLuke #172

You pay insurance all your life so that when something like this happens they help pick up the pieces.

Sounds like you are on top of it, much better having it back home as you would struggle to get it back otherwise.

2. twiglett

twiglett Active Member

Jack the valuation for manual altezza rs200's of your age is pitifully low. I was offered £500 at first.
    My buy back fee was 10% of the pre accident value. (£278 in my case) and that was decided before I had even agreed a value.

3. Leno

Leno Member

Back in the day my dad had an accident, like you wanted to buy it back but the insurance company took the car, then refused to give it back (must have said its a total write off/already scrapped ect) car in question only had minor damage, and was thought to have been bought by an employee of the insurance company. Insurance companys are sneeky fuckers

4. initial_j

initial_j Made guy

I will bite their teeth out if they offer me £500!

how much did you get in the end?

They have the requirement to pay out enough to buy another one the way i see it. And very very rarely do you see a manual Z edition for under 3.5k

5. twiglett

twiglett Active Member

Total amount I received was £2711 as an interim payment so they could reclaim the hire car and £460 as a final settlement. So that's £3171 for a low mileage rs200 with proof of £7500 worth of modifications. That will cover me getting a standard rs200 but not a z edition with less than 50k on it.
    and with the hassle of swapping literally every part over it makes more sense to break it for parts or sell it as it is.
    insurance sucks unless you are the ones selling it.

6. Damien

Damien ~London Folk~

Nope. He's a tattooist/graphic designer. Copart had it about a month which sucked as it was an open yard and the car came back full of water.

7. gaz_moose

gaz_moose .MTM.

seeing as you have not had it long, do you have a receipt from when you bought it?

8. docwra

docwra Active Member

So what youre saying is that every time you spin or leave the road you should report it to the police? Really? How was there any proof that your good samaritan actually saw anything then?

Regardless, I said insurance, not police and I know they dont care if nothing else is involved and theres no damage. Oh, and theres this, from from the Police themselves, note the part that says "reportable":

The law defines a reportable road traffic collision as an accident involving a mechanically-propelled vehicle on a road or other public area which causes:

Injury or damage to anybody - other than the driver of that vehicle,
    Injury or damage to an animal- other than one being carried on that vehicle (an animal is classes as a horse, cattle, ass, mule, sheep, pig, goat or dog).
    Damage to a vehicle - other than the vehicle which caused the accident.
    Damage to property constructed on, affixed to, growing in, or otherwise forming part of the land where the road is.

9. mint

mint touch my fruit

If noone is involved.. no one got hurt, nothing damaged other than some pride? Then tell the police nothing :S Thats a no brainer.

#49 mint, Jan 3, 2015
    Last edited: Jan 3, 2015
  10. James_200sx

James_200sx Member

I think we are forgetting that the insurance company is not the owner of the car as they have not agreed a pay out yet.

11. initial_j

initial_j Made guy

exactly! and that is why i want to keep it in my possesion. They can come here and value it, make me an offer then take it away. If id let them take it then there is nothing stopping them valuing it at a pound once they have it and i wouldnt be able to do a thing about it.

Hopefully im just over thinking and worrying about this, but they are known for being slippery characters!

12. mint

mint touch my fruit

The sure are, Your correct to be protective over this dude, seriously.

When my JZX was smashed (you might recall the drama at the time) the insurance company wanted to take my car away.. There was ZERO chance that was happening..

MY insurance company (at the time was Sky insurance, using some other company) asked me, if I wanted a hire car. This apparantly was an important question regarding what was going to happen to my JZX. I refused the option for a hire car as I had access to another one so did not need it. Since I said no to this, they chose to NOT take my car away.

I called back and changed my mind to then request a car, to which they then.. wanted to take the JZX. I obviously told them that it would not be going anywhere. This turned out to be ok because I had refused the original offer of a hire car. She told me, If I had accepeted that car there and then the first time.. they would of been round to remove it regardless of my opinion.

They will take the car if they can, and as you say low ball the shit out of you. Stay strong, there dodgy fucks.. They first off offered me less than £2k to REPLACE my JZX100. After another 3 inspections (Them coming to me) and another 2 offers.. I finally selleted on a decent offer which was enough to repair my car. Considering it was 100% not my fault (I was actually in bed, car was parked up) and the other driver admitting full fault, Sky still wanted to dick me about and offer me bugger all money despite the stupid amount they have robbed from my paychecks...

There bloody at it.

#52 mint, Jan 4, 2015
    Last edited: Jan 4, 2015
  13. SX_BIG

SX_BIG Active Member

Unsure if this applies in any way.

My mate and I had a big off in a supercharged Corrado storm (2.9 v6 and 300hp - nice car)

anyway, we span out at a silly speed and hit the barriers. the car was creased along the roof. it was fucked. The insurance company saw that my mate was an engineer and asked HIM if he thought it was a write off!!!!! he said yes ( it clearly was, )but said it was just a cat c. He took some pics so you couldnt see the roof damage and kept the car the whole time.

He refused their offer 3 times and in the end got more than he paid for the car (c. £2850 iirc). The car was then broken for bits, which he made another grand from. The pics he took were crap, you could just see the front end damage. We actually hit the barrier backwards with the bonnet going under the barrier then spining up round from hitting posts. I have pics somwhere, it wasnt pleaseant at all.

We had a friend look at the car who deals with insurance in a bodyshop. In his opinion it was a cat b due to the cresae through the roof, the thing was twisted.

a bizare situation. We too closed the a120, had ambulance and police attend. My only regret was not putting a claim in at the time as i've got back and neck problems from it now!

Hope it pans out ok for you.

14. chicane1992

chicane1992 Member

What insurance company are you with? My s15 was written off roughly 6 months ago. They offered me a low ball offer at first. They couldnt find it on their valuation data Base (glasshouse) I think it is. Then I sent pistonhead ads and got more than it was worth. Send then transaction recipients aswell. That helped with mine.

15. OllieEN

OllieEN Member

This thread reinforces my desire to never crash my car... They probably value uk spec s13s at £500 or something!

16. ringer

ringer HOOooo!

Does anyone have a desire to crash a car at all?

However it pans out JFK, you're into the system now. It's a massive battle of big bureaucratic companies all arguing and bickering over values and fee's amongst themselves, each with their own policy on particular situations (EVERY company is different), you're probably the lowest priority in a system that's not trying to 'screw' you, but trying to get the least amount of damage to their bank account, put simply. You have to ride it out, you know the cars are rare and you know what it's realistically worth. The hard bit is of course you getting hurt too - make sure you get that shit checked out as you do occasionally need to professionally lamp a motherfucker and if you can't do that, it's not ideal.

You can't probably can't claim from a council for icy road patches either from what I can read up about it.

Good luck man.

17. initial_j

initial_j Made guy

cheers dude.

Yeah fingers crossed itll all work out ok, just have to slug it out for a decent valuation. Im not greedy so as long as its close to enough to buy another/pay for the huge amount theyll add to my premium, ill be happy. Injury wise im cool, walked off my gangster limp now. I shall certainly be lamping the next motherfucker that wants to tell me all about how bad their whiplash is from a 5mph bump.

Cant claim for icy road your right, that was just a crazy thought after it happened which on refletion was a daft suggestion. Though did think if they try and bill me for the cost of the crash barriers i took out (good few metres) i might have a case of pointing out the lack of gritting, I made sure the police noted down they nearly fell on their arses when they got out the car.

But live and learn. Accidents happen, more often when your driving relaxed and not expecting it. If id been thrashing the car about going through the gears my spider senses would of probably been much more on the ball and anticipating it.

18. SX_BIG

SX_BIG Active Member

ha my missus hit someonee at that he it wnt through as a £3k claim. My mate and I hit the barrier at roughly 80mph and i was in work the next day - all be it very very stiff ( I fucking LOVE my job ;) )