Jono's drift truck

Thread in 'Project Cars and Builds Threads' started by jonofd3, May 12, 2010.

1. n1tr0_9

n1tr0_9 Member

Love this thing. What clutch and gearbox have you got, and how are they holding up now you've done a few events?

2. jonofd3

jonofd3 Active Member

Haha, cheers dude.... Stock SD1 flywheel and clutch and the last of the LT77 boxes from the Twin Plenum Vitesse.
    All seem to be pretty good at the moment, clutch slipped a little at first because of the amount of time it's been stood around, but all is fine now!!

Also drain the ATF out of your box and put some decent oil in there!! The SD1 was supposed to run proper oil (Castrol Edge is whats recomended on the forum), but because of the namby pambys who found it difficult to select a gear when it was cold, they swapped to ATF to ease gear shift and increase ware in the box! LOL

Also try not to tow it as the LT77 has got an oil pump and it's driven off the input shaft in the box, so if it's towed there is no oil pumped around and destroyes the bearings as a result!

Jono

#482 jonofd3, Mar 22, 2013
    Last edited: Mar 23, 2013
  3. jonofd3

jonofd3 Active Member

Well, a fare few events have passed with trouble free abuse, but the last one something went wrong :( electrical issues meant I lost spark when the engine was hot putting me out for the day after 3 laps! Luckily Dan lent me his skyline to put my 3 judged runs in and some how I managed to get 8th overall (didn't think it was too bad considering I have never driven one before, and was straight in to the judged runs!)
    Anyway, after a bit of swearing and poking, we found that it was an ignition amp breaking down when it got hot, so now I've gone belt and braces.... 2 ignition amps, 2 coils, spare dizzy cap, leads, rotor arm, and an experiment using a coil from a Renault wasted spark ignition system as they have a higher output than the old style coils!

and to finish off.... a couple of pics from the last events:
    ODC round 1:
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

A vid of my round 2 winning run, hope it works?!:
    [video=facebook;10151569933098459]https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?v=10151569933098459&l=5008297573832058076[/video]

Mental weekend at the Motorsport festival at Pembrey on the full GP track!
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

And then back to the kart track:
    [​IMG]

with a spot of twinning:
    [​IMG]

Jono

#483 jonofd3, Jul 8, 2013
    Last edited: Jul 8, 2013
  4. andystrat

andystrat Member

Badass truck!

5. jonofd3

jonofd3 Active Member

Bit of an update here.... Truck is going to have a few changes soon, both visual and upgrades! Started on the time consuming bit first..... Porting the restrictive heads :-( 3 hours in and I've just about finished 2 intake ports with another 14 to go!!!!

[​IMG]

Stock port:
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

After a clean up and obstruction removal!!
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Still got a bit to sort and go through with the sanding attachment, but you get the idea!!

Jono

6. jonofd3

jonofd3 Active Member

Well, I've just dropped the truck over to a customer of mine who is going to help out with a few bits on the truck! She is going to be going from mundane to insane for 2014!!
    Going to be notching the chassis at the rear which will give us another drop of up to 100mm, front suspension is going to be getting new top and bottom arms with different coilovers hookups which again will let it drop more at the front, and a wisefab style steering set-up complete with a steering rack instead of. A box!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Jono

7. jonofd3

jonofd3 Active Member

A few shots from ODC round 1...... with the latest mod!

Running the pembrey Tyre wall of death 2 shots of the same clip:
    [​IMG]

Wall clipped sweetly..... just kissed the tail light cluster!
    [​IMG]

Think I might need to take a look at the fixings for the bed! LOL
    [​IMG]

Jono

8. victim

victim Bimmer Skidder

That extra drop will make this truck :) Strong work dude!

9. J1GGO

J1GGO Member

This things boss!

10. jonofd3

jonofd3 Active Member

Cheers guys!!
    Here are a few pics of the progress:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

And finally. The damage from round one of odc. With my Bro behind the wheel..... The sooner he gets the jag back the better!!!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Jono

11. Al_E11evens

Al_E11evens Member

As said above Jono this is a quality build pal, and a nice unit ;)

12. jonofd3

jonofd3 Active Member

Well things have been a lot slower on this than I had planned..... the new engine will be packing a little bit of a power boost from the trusty Rover lump! The engine has stood the test of time with 2 full seasons of WOT and a few more to come during this year!
    All going well 2016 will see the new engine fitted and running, and fingers crossed we should have between 350 and 400 N/A bhp with similar torque so this should liven things up nicely!

Engine is an old skool V8 chevy rinning a 4 bolt main block, steel crank, forged rods, forged high compression pistons, retro fit roller cam, full roller rockers, big valve ported heads, gear driven cam, Team G air gap intake manifold with holly 650cfm carb and tubular headers to a 3" system. The good thing with this block is it's not a low rev chugger, set up right this will rev to 8K....... although I'm not going to be running it that high as I don't want to rebuild it every year!

Couple of pics with what has been gathered so far:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Jono

13. Dakotadrifttru

Dakotadrifttru New Member

hey nice truck i plan on doing something similar to a dodge Dakota ( i am American so nice fitting small American truck) ill post some pics up when i get it started

- - - Updated - - -

hey nice truck i plan on doing something similar to a dodge Dakota ( i am American so nice fitting small American truck) ill post some pics up when i get it started

14. orange_beastie

orange_beastie Pickup driftin

Looks awesome dude wish I had the time and money to have mine finished quicker but it will get there soon. How much was ur cage? Looking for a price for my b1800

15. jonofd3

jonofd3 Active Member

Cage was done by a customer who owed me money for work I did, so it set me back 200 for materials! The cage is made from T45 steel so lighter and stronger than cds of the same size ;-) but I would say you would probably be looking 6-700 for one to be made and fitted at a guess?!

Poor thing is having a little breather at the moment as it's having some much needed body work done to freshen things up and cover the new rims ;-) 17x9 et-62 with the 30mm spacers! Added bonus it will lighten her up ready for the new lump that's going in!
    Pics will be heading up here as soon as I get it somwhere near finished!

Dakota.... This truck is the Isuzu p'up which was also sold as the chevy luv and badged as a Honda too but can't remember the modle for that one!

#495 jonofd3, May 24, 2015
    Last edited: May 24, 2015
  16. jonofd3

jonofd3 Active Member

So I found a little bargain on the bay last week..... Full on la man's flywheel from a lola T70, complete with a triple plate clutch.... £100
    [​IMG]

Then the new rims arrived.... 17x9 et-32, end result, I think I need to roll the arches a little! LOL!
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Little bit of poke to cover up now..... Next is to sort out the wide arches to cover those wheels!
    [​IMG]

Jono

17. GETitSIDEways

GETitSIDEways Mutha Funka

returned from the dead I see....Good luck with this Jono.

18. jonofd3

jonofd3 Active Member

Cheers matey.... Just getting things back straight, then it's build the new heart ready for transplant as soon as I can afford to! Gonna be clean off then!

19. J_W97

J_W97 Member

They Extreme Offset Wheels by any chance? ;)

20. jonofd3

jonofd3 Active Member

yarp, ET-32 with a 25mm spacer behind them, along with the top & bottom arms extended 25mm :)