S13 Daily Driver/Occasional Skidder/Life Ruiner

Thread in 'Project Cars and Builds Threads' started by ali303, Jul 27, 2012.

1. Van_Denton

Van_Denton Member

too cool for skool!! I love this.

2. jimmy crowley

jimmy crowley Rouge Dori s15

Cant believe iv missed this thread!! , I was loving the whole s13 simple life at the start ,Then the hardship and once PS happened I climaxed so much persistence youv give me drive to get back at mine

3. ali303

ali303 Member

Cheers guys. Trouble free driving didn't last long, haha.

Got on the bypass the other day and the radio went off, dash lights dimmed, rev counter stopped working and, most importantly, the battery light came on. So immediately I assumed the alternator had died and hoped it didn't cut out on me.

Got it home the next day without it dying, although the rev counter suddenly burst back into life (albeit jumping about the place a bit). Car was also extremely sluggish under load and popping like mad between gears, so assumed the fuel pump wasn't getting enough power.

Got home today and got the multimeter out. First up, voltage at the alternator:

[​IMG]

Voltage at the battery:

[​IMG]

Voltage at the fuel pump (bingo, problem. It's direct wired and should be a happy 12V).

[​IMG]

Was only by myself so couldn't measure the voltage fluctuations on the battery with throttle movement. All fuses and relays seem fine, so a bit stumped there as I assumed the Room Fuse will have at least gone and explained the radio issue. Will try another alternator but anyone else got any other ideas? All plugs on the alternator side of the loom are fine.

4. Chunky Nugget

Chunky Nugget honkeytits!!

Check your earths dude.

5. Bommel

Bommel Member

Hi man,

Firstly i think your alternator is over charging, so you need to change alternator. . . Also there seems to be voltage drop between your battery and alternator, on a 12v system 0.5v is the max drop of voltage . . So i would change the wire between the two as you have a bad connection

6. samson200sx

samson200sx New Member

The build looks epic dude!!jst got my self a 180sx shell to rebuild,hopfiĺly be skiding soon

- - - Updated - - -

The build looks epic dude!!jst got my self a 180sx shell to rebuild,hopfiĺly be skiding soon

7. ali303

ali303 Member

Thanks for the suggestions guys - was a combination of fucked live wire to the alternator and a generally fucked alternator - few popped fuses and head scratching later and it's all good now. Thankfully got it fixed at 8am Saturday morning in a car park (massive thanks to Max for the help) and set off to Buxton immediately after for its first day on track.

[​IMG]

Told myself I'd take it fairly steady, that went out the window by about the third lap when the opposite direction flick entries started. Set myself the challenge before going that I wanted to properly nail third gear flicks which isn't the best idea in the world on such an unforgiving track. To get it right I had to force myself not to just keep my foot planted coming out the last corner so as to start building up speed rather than needlessly spinning up the rears, shift into third ASAP and then give it a big kick and flick.

Here's one of my better attempts:

Unfortunately my cockiness got the better of me pretty early on haha, so I turned it down a notch after that and found a nice happy medium where I could still go big but in a slightly less risky manner. I basically went to downshift from third to second, found fourth instead, panicked and ended up locking up and lightly tapping the wall with my passenger side headlight. Could of been a massive amount worse but the damage toll was just a smashed headlight lens, cracked sidelight, chipped bonnet and a broken crash bar that totally did its job. Simply ripped the lights and bumper off, straightened the slam panel out and went back on track.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Totally had to bodge it together to drive it the 20 miles home though as with no bumper bar the bumper had nothing but the wings and broken headlight brackets to support it.

[​IMG]

Got some bodging to do this week to get it back to a more roadworthy state and that's about it really, mechanically it's been absolutely fine. Looking forward to practicing in it again ASAP.

8. essexcapri25

essexcapri25 Member

what engine in the supra?

9. Kingu

Kingu Member

Loving the big opposite flick entries! Looks straight outa Japan yo! You love a good crash too haha!
    Is a PS bumper bar different to a UK s13 / 180 then??

Excited to see this with the new aero! Glad the sidelight made it out alive aswell :thumbs:

Keep up the good work dude :)

10. Joss

Joss Member

Pretty gnarly entry that mate, car looks like it was going well! Shame about the bump but as you said it could have been much worse!

11. BenRice

BenRice Well-Known Member

Ha, that looks so bad now it's good.

Congrats on fixing the problem, electrical gremlins are such arseholes.

12. ali303

ali303 Member

Cheers guys, already got the front end fixed now, just need to sort the odd panel gap and it'll be good as...it was before (albeit it with a smashed headlight)/

13. ali303

ali303 Member

Few pics popped up from Buxton

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

14. BenRice

Holy shit, the rear wheel in the first shot looks like it's running 5 deg positive camber.

So hard to get the rear's in these low enough to suit the front.

15. ali303

ali303 Member

Finally got myself to Teesside on Easter Monday. I've driven the West circuit before but never the National layout and I've been wanting to have a go at it ever since.

My driving was a bit hit or miss to be honest but I started getting the hang of it by the end of the day. Somehow I also managed to wear my front tyres down to the canvas too - pesky four wheel lock ups!

Here's a couple of on-board laps: https://youtu.be/yqcSTWV0Q2w

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Quite a lot to do before its next outing, new front tyres being one of them.

16. BenRice

Looks good out there.

Are they NS2's on the front?

And are you running toe out on the front? It looks like it's dragging the rearmost front wheel quite a bit.

17. ali303

ali303 Member

Few more from Teesside:

https://scontent-lhr.xx.fbcdn.net/h...=8c530823180d5643d58a67cfed30e297&oe=55A31282[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Huxley did a repair of the more battered VS KF.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Removed the bald 215/40s and replaced them with new 235/40s (NS-2s again).

[​IMG]

Moved house (using the PS), switched jobs, smashed sump to pieces on the first day. Less than ideal.

[​IMG]

Tried on a Cosmis N5R while the car was immobile, looked cool.

[​IMG]

New sump from an S15 courtesy of Dan Joyce, reinforced by Craig from DynoTorque for extra pothole protection, cheers homies.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Yeah they are - had a poke around the car and found there's excessive play in one of the tie rods (no doubt helped by the curb jumping) so no doubt that particular wheel will be flapping around.

[​IMG]

18. Ry_de

Ry_de Member

good effort ali, shit looks good

19. ali303

ali303 Member

Went and visited my main man Jan Doyce today who's had all my Type 3 aero sat in his garden for the last few weeks. Ripped the Uras stuff off, D-Max GO. We'll do the overfenders when my new wheels arrive so we can make sure the fitment is spot on (pinching the fenders etc).

As you can probably tell, raised the front a bit as well.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Cheers broseph.

20. BenRice

Looking good. Didn't realise Type 3 kicks out that much, especially the skirts. You waiting for the fenders before painting?

Guessing you needed to raise to fit the bigger tyres? NS2's aren't as bad as people think, they're hard wearing but do 85% of what a good sport tyre will do. I ran them for 4 years and around 25 track days up until 2 months ago (went through 2x pairs).