1JZ - Crower 264's - vernier cam gear

Thread in 'Technical Questions' started by GO79, Mar 21, 2015.

1. GO79

GO79 Member

Has anyone set up Brian Crower 264 cams on a 1JZ and dialled the cam timing in properly with vernier cams? If so, what did you end up setting them to? I know you can't adjust the intake side much as the sensors won't like it. That said, I'll be running Emanage Ultimate, so could that override errors the stock ECU throws up?

2. dale_b

dale_b #DriftFactory

Iv installed a few sets but never pissed around adjusting them on the pulleys.. Expect to see 430-450hp at 1 bar on HX35 and supporting mods.

I don't know if the Emanage can do anything with triggers.. You can probably get a fair amount of adjustment out of them before the cam sensors stop picking up a signal..

3. GO79

GO79 Member

I've heard you can only get +/-2 degrees on intake before it throws an error, plus I don't want to it to run lean and risk detonation. I'm entering levels of modification I've not done before, but am also a bit of a perfectionist, so like it right!

4. GO79

GO79 Member

Plus, if you've spent a grand on cams, why not piss around trying to get an extra few horses out for free?

5. Stavros

Stavros Active Member

The reason for verniers is to adjust things when mapping on the dyno and see what works best.

There's no right setting beyond stock- Stock 'works' but no need for verniers then. The point is you can have a go at advancing and retarding the cams and see how it affects your powerband.

It's all give and take, but you might find something that suits the rest of your setup etc.

6. GO79

GO79 Member

Of course. I was just hoping someone might have beaten me to it. The way I see it is most 1j's will have been cast from the same block as will Crowers cams. So if somebody had put that dyno time in before me, it'd no doubt help regardless of the rest of the set up. I only bought the pulleys as I'd read updated cams could need 'tuning' for optimum performance.

7. Stavros

Stavros Active Member

Unless your turbo/manifold/exhaust setup is the same as someone elses, you won't find the perfect setup for yours.

Actual engine spec isn't the thing. It's mostly turbo spec, as it's the biggest restriction on your exhaust side, and biggest help on your compressor size.

So if someone is rocking the same turbo spec as you, and has had it dialled in spot on with the verniers, they'd be worth copying.

But I get the impression hardly anyone bothers with doing stuff like this in the UK Jap scene, despite all the good it could do.