E46 Formula drift Canada build

Thread in 'Project Cars and Builds Threads' started by Moneygangsteve, Mar 20, 2015.

1. Moneygangsteve

Moneygangsteve New Member

Hey everyone, everyone has been telling me to start a build thread so here it is, and what better place then driftworks!

Check out my instagram @moneygangsteve

A little background:

I've been into BMW's for quite some time, e30's mostly, with the odd e36 daily inbetween. Here is my most recent E30 as a street car

[​IMG]

I swapped in an sr20 as part of my interest in drifting and it being a common powerplant

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Always wanted a white car so painted it

[​IMG]

Then a friend of mine convinced me to go to an actual drift day at a fairly local track

[​IMG]

I was hooked, had always screwed around on the street, but being able to slide a whole track changed me for good. Bye bye fancy wheels and interior and hello mayhem!

From my first time doing tandem, competing, podiums and whole bunch of other first in 2014, I've got my sights set high to step up from the amateur series I ran and learn as much as I can! The e30 went from fresh paint, SR blowing up, a 5.0l ford going in, to doors smashed and lessons learned. Now to start this build I've gotten over my head into!

[​IMG]

2. Moneygangsteve

So lets get right to it, first step is gutting the car and getting it ready for all the changes and big diet

[​IMG]

She went on the hoist and I started cutting after taking some interior bits out

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Forgive me, I get in work mode and forget to take progress pictures. But basically everything was stripped off, all the panels were gutted to there shells, front and rear were cut for tube frames, rear subframe was dropped to reinforce the floor at each mounting point etc

[​IMG]

- - - Updated - - -

After some reinforcing and stripping of the car, removing all the sound deadening, glass etc etc I mocked up some flares, and the wing from the e30 is getting new stands to be reused on the e46.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I also did some work on making a cluster, switch panel and killswitch panel

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Threw in my old seat to get an idea of seating position

[​IMG]

and also got some carbon mirrors off a guy locally

[​IMG]

Cut up the stock wheel to use as a temp hub to mock up my old wheel as well

[​IMG]

I made the wing uprights from the cardboard mock ups, still some tweaks left but pretty happy.

[​IMG]

Some more mocking of parts with tires that are closer to the actual size I plan on running

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

next up skirts and cage!

3. Moneygangsteve

So given there are no skirt options that I know of that would look the way I wanted and fit the typical drift fashion, decided to make my own!

The mock up with some material I found at a local home building supply store

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

If your interested in the skirts, keep reading, myself and a buddy now produce them in fiberglass! Feel free to pm for details.

I brought the car to my friends shop, Mitchy's Speed Shop to do the cage, he does awesome work and since were pals I was able to give him a hand in the process.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

- - - Updated - - -

Forgive all the shit pictures, better quality stuff is coming as the build progresses!

Here is more of the cage!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

After Mitch did a killer job on banging out the cage in a couple days I brought the car back to my shop to get it all cleaned up and painted before oxidation set in!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

After some primer, I painted the colour

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Huge relief to have the cage out of the way and get down to other progress that's much needed, Tight budget means strategic part orders and me doing lots of work myself with the help of some awesome friends!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Me and my partner Danny under our official name 999 Tech began the process of making the skirts a real thing with a wood plug

[​IMG]

and a flashback to last year and my e30

[​IMG]

4. Moneygangsteve

and continuing on with the build... some parts came in from sponsors

first being my coils from BC racing! I ran these on my e30 for quite some time, so what better partner could I have

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I dropped the subframe again, welded in the rear frame that the fuel cell will sit in and began sand blasting suspension parts, changing bushings etc

[​IMG]

I made my own weld on dual caliper mounts

[​IMG]

Painted all the parts, and lined them up on the table ready for install

[​IMG]

New bushings everywhere

[​IMG]

Dual caliper setup

[​IMG]

Front coils in with e36 spindles

[​IMG]

subframe with solid mounts, BC coils in etc etc

[​IMG]

- - - Updated - - -

More shiny stuff

Cosmis Racing wheels is a partner for my 2015 program, stoked to run these awesome wheels

[​IMG]

and what better tires to wrap them in then Falken Azenis!

[​IMG]

999 tech also got a skirt made, so whats better then a good test fit to see how the car will look

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Super excited to see the car coming together and taking shape, still waiting on more parts, but its starting to look like something.

Engine bay and wheel wells getting cleaned up and painted

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

and some fender modding

[​IMG]

- - - Updated - - -

Nerptech is another partner for this season and is hooking me up with a set of rear camber arms and a front angle kit!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

More painting happening in the mean time

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Interior got some previously but forgot to take pictures as usual

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Some rust repair

[​IMG]

5. AndyS3

AndyS3 Member

Quality thread! You still got the e30?

6. taylorwallace9

Eh! I've been following your Instagram for a while now, great to see you on here!

7. Dutchie

Dutchie Member

I'm so jealous right now.

8. Dutchie

Dutchie Member

On a side note, someone called @kevdutchie started following you on Instagram :D

9. DanMateX

DanMateX Member

so so good

10. counteract

counteract -o=me

Been following you on Instagram since I first saw a picture of this, it's awesome. I'll tag you in a picture now of how you inspired me!

11. mad.matt

mad.matt Well-Known Member

Oaft. Some build thread :)
    Love the Copper colour, really nice!

12. sparky_s13

sparky_s13 Active Member

Holy shit that's awesome!

The E30 is cool as fuck also

13. Adam.

Adam. Member

That's cool man, I remember seeing your E30 on stanceworks, at the time I had an E30 and had just started drifting myself. Came away from BMW's but its cool to see you sticking with your roots

14. Moneygangsteve

Thanks! Still have it, but it doesn't look like much anymore, sacrifice had to be made to build this car :(

Thanks!

Thanks for the support!

Thanks!

Thanks man, glad to be a help!

Thank you, I love the colour myself, I've pushed all my friends to use it as well.

Thanks!

Small world haha, I can't picture myself driving something else!

Thanks for all the love everyone, I will keep the thread up to date as much as possible. Plan to get the paint finished by the end of this weekend and some pictures of the angle kit I've put in from Nerptech!

15. Moneygangsteve

Update for the day

Doors and hood painted on the inside, gives you an idea of what I've done to the car, everything, everywhere has been painted inside and out, I want it to look professional and well sorted, having one colour here and another there is a quick way of making things look cheap.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Nerptech angle kit is installed, tons of lock! Waiting on the right bolts for the inner joints as they were on back order, but kit is in enough to get the car rolling around with temporary bolts/washers. Chaz at Nerptech will be sending those my way once they come and I can set up the front end properly :)

[​IMG]

Tons of adjustment, ackerman, roll center, bump steer, control arm length, and of course toe are adjustable very easily! Can't wait for a track day to play with the ackerman and see how the feel of the car at lock changes.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Put the rear lexan windows in after the doors were good and cured from painting, nice to put stuff in for good! Painted black borders on the small quarter lexan for that oem look.

[​IMG]

Rear lexan window mocked up, border painted, and holes drilled. Using riv-nuts/threaded inserts to hold it in, nice to have it removable if the need arises.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

A peak of the cockpit taking shape, used some All star performance steering stuff to make a column, using their firewall flange bearing, 3/4 heim, quick release and dash bar bracket. Used the stock u joint/collapsible steering shaft in the bay to keep things safe. Need to get a seat before I set the final height and distance for the wheel but its good enough for now to roll the car around the shop.

[​IMG]

Hopefully have the front doors and hood paint finished tomorrow so it can cure and be assembled towards the end of the weekend. Forgot to take pictures of the rear firewall but that's also taking shape, once that's wrapped up I can put the rear window in for good and run the necessary wiring from the back of the car to the front.

16. KAS627

KAS627 Member

I saw pictures of this floating about on facebook, was the picture where you had just put your skirts on. Pictures were saved as inspiration!

Defo subbed!!

Also I may be interested in they skirts at some point

#16 KAS627, Mar 27, 2015
    Last edited: Mar 27, 2015
  17. Mike@TDSW

Mike@TDSW Active Member

Awesome build.

18. chodjinn

chodjinn Active Member

very nice, like the rear end chopping about!

19. eurosonic

eurosonic New Member

Instagram send me here as well.

I love the build. Did you paint the car yourself? Looks great

20. Joss

Joss Member

Awesome, saw this on facebook it was mad inspiration to get my Touring out on track, look forward to seeing more updates!