My s13 200sx build (slow build...)

Thread in 'Project Cars and Builds Threads' started by kane_launder, Dec 17, 2014.

1. CrossOverPics

CrossOverPics Member

Great video from your first drift day, did alot better than me on my first time!

Stage 2 is well worth it, I always said that i needed about 50 more hp in the dry with my s13 as the lower/mid rev range didn't have much guts to it, but with stage 1 even it's alot better and feels pretty decent. Make sure you get all the supporting mods though otherwise bad things can happen.

2. kane_launder

kane_launder Member

Well i think its about time i updated this!

I have been quite busy the past few months as i have been in America working. Six weeks in Vegas then four

in Virginia!

while i was out in America i seen that there was a drift event down at Vegas Motor Speedway so i had to go

:) Look who was there! Forrest Wang!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

and his Girlfriends car :)

[​IMG]

and lots of other cool drift cars! was shocked as well i thought going to an american drift event i would

see V8's, V8's Everywhere. BUT i couldnt of been more wrong! Aparently the vegas seen is all turbo's and

JZ's which i couldnt complain about!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

These cars the "STREET DANCERZ" where a group of drifters in the USAF which was pretty cool to see :) and

yes that is a s14 with a R33 front!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Would also be wrong not to hire a muslce car and go on ROUTE 66 :) so got a Camero, was supposed to be a

Mustang but car hire place messed up..

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

3. kane_launder

kane_launder Member

Now on to my car :) So you would think that not much has happened to the car or bought for the car well.... even when im

thousands of miles away i cant help myself. Again thanks to my dad for recieving all my car parts :) and

sorry to my mum who had to deal with a hall full of parts! i came home to these beauties :)

[​IMG]

With all these parts and the Horsham Developments stage two i should have a bit more grunt :) even after i

got back parts where still arriving :D

[​IMG]

went to drift event that my dad was competing at when i got back here are a few pictures of him.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

While I was there i bought a roll cage :) needed a good sand down and paint but i was more than happy with

it. Especially when i found out that it was a cusco half cage!

So i started fitting parts fitted the Blitz air filter

[​IMG]

Just need to take the brakcet off and spray in black

[​IMG]

Then sanding and painting the cage and drilling holes in my car... was hope i marked it out right. I wanted

to keep the car as neat and street looking as possible :) while i was drilling holes and rust proofing

everything my dad started cutting the holes on the rear interior panels for the cage and here is the result!

as you can probably tell i am over the moon with how good it looks :) (dont you just love the ebisu towel

haha)

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Now to get out on track! It is booked for tuesday and saturday so more seat time and some more

pictures/videos coming soon :)

Also treated myself to some bright red Sparco racing gloves. Why? because i thought all the cool drifters

had them!

[​IMG]

4. Fin

Fin Member

Looking great dude!! :D Cage is going to help tighten up the chassis quite a bit :)

5. kane_launder

kane_launder Member

Thanks Fin! Car feels really good with cage!

Well Tuesday came and as usual i get nervous/excited the works!
    second time out in the car and first time drifting in the dry in the car so didn't know what to expect to be honest!
    left early to get there in enough time here are the two cars ready to go :)

[​IMG]

I got on not to bad, was focusing mostly on entries, initiating etc wasnt to bothered about linking the track.
    I put the GoPro on during my first few runs but ended up taking it off calming down a lil bit. i got on alot better in the later part of the day and didn't care that i didn't get it recorded!

In the video you can hear me rubbing when i spun, so nothing a hammer cant solve :)
    Later on in the day it was rubbing when i was on full lock so should hopefully be sorted for next outing :)

[​IMG]

Also my Gloves arrived for extra drifting points :p

[​IMG]

Back on track on Saturday so cannot wait to get back out :D

6. kane_launder

kane_launder Member

Quick outside video! Need to keep it higher in the Revs coming through the corner but for a completely standard ca18 I was more than happy!

7. Van_Denton

Van_Denton Member

Good read and cool little trip to the states there!

8. kane_launder

kane_launder Member

It's been a while since my last update and this is only a lil one :)

Last drift day was good was really getting onto the car! Was coming to the end of the day and famous last words just going to do one more lap. The tyres where starting to let go but was fun slidng about with NO grip. Just as I was coming off throttle to come into pits and to end the day my right hand tyre burst! And it burst with a Big Bang! Slowed right down to stop the delamed tyre flapping all over the place. Got out the car and I noticed the damage!:cry: Was a lil gutted at first but it's drifting!

[​IMG]

Also a great excuse for the new kit which will be coming soon ;)

So the car at the moment is left with my mechanic Paul from PJS auto engineering! Reason being is that I'm away again!
    I wanted all my new bits fitted for when I got back so took it up to him and he is fitting my Intercooler, new turbo, manifold etc..
    Yes I could of done the work myself but it wouldn't of been to as a high standard and most importantly it wouldn't of looked as good!

As usual my dad is sending me pictures of the car throughout it's stages :)

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Bumper trimmed and looking good :) cannot wait to drive the damn thing

[​IMG]

Some of you keen eyed folks might even notice that there is no more air con or abs unit! It's all GONE! :)

9. kane_launder

kane_launder Member

And what would an update be without some new parts :) when you have nothing to do but sit about in between work, buying car parts online is my biggest problem..

Since Im going to be running the Horsham developments stage 2 chip with the mods Paul suggested a fuel regulator might be worth getting so I went and ordered a nice TOMEI one with a guage! Looked at eBay looked at cheap ones but in the end JDM points prevailed :)

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Also while I was in a BUY EVERYTHING made because of payday I also ordered a Shiney oil catch can :D
    CUSCO!! My dad ran one on his CA s13 missile car so thought what's the harm :)

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

NOW!! Onto the first exterior modification I have bought (definetly more too come ;))
    A mint set of KOUKI lights for the rear :) thanks to Tom o'hare :D

[​IMG]

I have also ordered these! They are supposed to be a plug and play adapter kit for kouki lights. Hopefully they work and I won't have to butcher my wiring :)

[​IMG]

10. Minimoke

Minimoke Member

Sweet read dude, makes me wanna hit the track! Should be a different beast with the stage 2 eh. Good luck with it.

11. CrossOverPics

CrossOverPics Member

Awesome stuff man! You're doing all the things I wish I could afford haha

12. bigdave z20

bigdave z20 Member

Nice to read grass roots build. Cars coming on great!
    Is that eglington your practising at man? Would like a play about in my car somewhere but it's hard to find anywhere here in Northern Ireland.

13. kane_launder

kane_launder Member

Cheers man! Yea it will be, I'll be learning the whole car again :) I want to get back on track so bad but I also want to get the car looking the way I want aka... kouki, arches flared and wheels refurbed and fully polished!
    But every time I watch drifting especially these past two weekends watching the live stream from BDC and IDC. I'm like body kit, Shiney wheels.. Pfft who needs them just go drifting!

Then there is that other side of me that is trailing threw countless Japanese sites pictures and stumbles accross these.. What's a man to do.. :cry: haha

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

CA18 in this one:nod:

[​IMG]

I know people will say track time etc but I do want the car to look awesome!

Thanks buddy! You have the wheels I want tho haha love XT7's! Can't wait till yours is back on the road to see more of your videos and see more mods :) you staying CA? I hope to keep CA then hopefully buy another and build a CA 2L stroker eventually (many, many moons away from now tho :D )

Certainly a grass roots and will be staying street legal! No trailer queen here (until I crash and it needs trailed home haha)
    Yea it's Eglinton alright, great wee track to have a lil blast. I can't remember who runs it my dad normally sets it up I arrive, pay my money, drive then leave. But if you follow Ni drift series normally they post up when there are drift days for road cars. Also Aghadowey had a few drift days hopefully more of them will come up soon

14. BenRice

BenRice Well-Known Member

I know you want it to look good AND have track time so if i could offer a little bit of advice: acquire one bit you want in between each track day at the expense of a track day. That way you don't completely limit your track time by going to every second event, and the car progresses as you progress.

However, leave the bodywork until last. By then you've had a few bumps and scrapes but haven't damaged nice bodywork. Worrying about nice bodywork is one of the big killers of progression.

15. kane_launder

kane_launder Member

This is just a little update just to you what stage the car is. Last time you seen it, it was with Paul Scullion at PJS Auto engineering http://pjsautoengineering.co.uk/ getting is stage two. I can happily say that it is now finished and mot’d for another year. I can't thank paul enough the work he has done has been second to none!
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    I am really happy with the way the car has turned out! The work is top quality and better than what I could have done! First of all the cage, since its my road car I wanted it put in as suttle as possible and he done well!
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Also got my Greddy boost controller and placed it just above the steering wheel so I could see it easily. Got the idea from Danny Isabell in his laurel.
    [​IMG]
    And got myself a Broadway mirror because JDM
    [​IMG]
    Here are a few pictures of the parts fitted to the car and where they got positioned
    Tomei fuel pressure regulator cusco strut brace and cusco catch tank looking very shiney
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]
    My manifold has gone the nice gold colour before it discolours.

Also before the turbo, manifold and elbow went on all the surfaces where skimmed to make sure the perfect seal would be made. this will hopefully mean i wont have to replace gaskets as much. All new gaskets where fitted aswell
    [​IMG]
    The front bumper has been cut around the intercooler to keep it looking ‘’stock’’
    [​IMG]

#35 kane_launder, Aug 2, 2015
    Last edited: Aug 5, 2015
  16. S14Ali

S14Ali Member

Gorgeous car, really coming along well and your dad is one cool dad! Keep it up, type x kit and it's perfect, though I'm really liking the look of the car now!

17. kane_launder

kane_launder Member

A few things I forgot to mention was that I got the wiring loom that is near the manifold and turbo moved out of the way from the heat. The reason I got this done was because my dad had issues with his melting so I thought preventative maintenance is better than rectification.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

This corner of the engine bay is looking pretty clean atm with the ABS fully removed. Paul from PJS has a great attention to detail and made it as clean and factory looking as possible. This was my first car with ABS and I didn’t like it at all specially in a drift car.

[​IMG]

If you have read my thread you will realise that my right hand rear quarter to a bit of a hit when my tyre exploded in a spectacular fashion. That is all repaired now. Paul welded up the rear quarter smoothed it all down and sprayed it so she is all straight again… FOR NOW haha

[​IMG]

Was really happy with the kouki lights but had to do somting about the lower panel so went to my local halfrauds and got paint mixed up. Match was okay going to try sand it down and get a better match but for now it looks good.

[​IMG]

Since I got the car mot’d in northern Ireland it failed on the welded diff so had to buy an open diff to get it threw the mot. All this hassle just to keep it on the street… makes me think I would have been better buying a track car and jeep and trailer.
    NOW this is the really cool part! Since I was driving about with a one wheel spinner and my birthday is coming up my dad went away and came back with a kaaz 2-way diff! so early birthday/Christmas present for me! Can’t thank him enough! That is getting fitted this week then next week booking the track for some skids.

If your in northern ireland and need any work done I cant recommend Paul Scullion at http://pjsautoengineering.co.uk/ enough he has built some serious drift cars, race cars and rally cars. he is a one stop shop for everything you could want or need

#37 kane_launder, Aug 5, 2015
    Last edited: Aug 5, 2015
  18. kane_launder

kane_launder Member

Thanks Ali! really trying to keep it as clean as possible. Like you said kouki and i will be 100% happy but for now im just going to practice then new year new look ;)

19. bigdave z20

bigdave z20 Member

Looking really clean dude!
    Have you had many practice days yourself?
    Me and a few mates booked a day at eglington for a couple of weeks ago but ended up being cancelled.
    Will Defo get a run up again. Enjoyed a bit of seat time elsewhere tho.

20. derekmcl05

derekmcl05 Member

The cars looking fantastic mate with all the new parts, fair play!! Wise move changing the position of the loom and igniter. Ive mine heat sheilded too for piece of mind. Was the wiring adaptors for the koukis a direct plug and play? I'd like a standard set of tail lights for drift days if the wiring was easily sorted.
    Vegas Motor Speedway looks unreal, some really cool cars at it. I'd love to drive route 66 in a muscle car too :cool: