My Poor Rotten S13

Thread in 'Project Cars and Builds Threads' started by pj9ar, Mar 24, 2014.

1. pj9ar

pj9ar Member

Thanks bud, yea that was the plan and i didn't know that which sucks, it was in my plans to make a bolt in fire wall back there that meets up with the boot lid, i didn't have time to make it as i got to get the car out, but i will have to look into it to see if that will be enough to make it road worthy, thanks for the heads up.

Thanks mate i will try to keep the progress coming even if it is on a driveway luckily i have managed to do all the main welding and fab work now which was my main objective now i want to save up for a tig welder so i can make an exhaust system and some bits :thumbs:

2. chodjinn

chodjinn Active Member

I'm not 100% sure mate but I think there has to be a firewall between the tank and cabin. I think you can have swirl pots/fuel pumps etc. in the cabin, but not the tank. Definitely worth double checking!

3. supernova-dw

supernova-dw Active Member

Spot on job there! Really nice work throughout indeed.

Good that you have managed to get the bulk of the heavy work done before you have to move and also good that we are heading in to the summer meaning working from your drive shouldn't be too bad.

Keep the updates coming, very interesting thread :)

4. pj9ar

pj9ar Member

i had a little search this evening and but couldn't find any definitive answers but will keep looking i think i will probably fit a fire wall anyway mainly for my own peace of mind. Im thinking aluminium same as the tank so i don't have to paint it.

thanks bud :thumbs:

Yes that is very true, it is the best time of year for the car to be outside and hopefully by the time winter comes round i will have found another workshop to put it in saying that fingers crossed it will be done by then.

yea i will try to update some time this week, i got the lacquer on the inside today and she is looking very shiny :D

5. chodjinn

chodjinn Active Member

Yeah I've got an aluminium firewall in my skyline, just riveted to the frame and parcel shelf with a bit of tigerseal to seal the edges.

6. pj9ar

pj9ar Member

Yea i think i will do something similar but will have to make my own frame

7. chodjinn

chodjinn Active Member

You could just put a alu box around the fuel tank, hinged so you can get at the filler cap, same principle as a fire wall really. Seen it done quite a few times, would save you building a frame and would be lighter as well.

#127 chodjinn, Apr 15, 2015
    Last edited: Apr 15, 2015
  8. pj9ar

pj9ar Member

Yea thats another way to go but I think I will go with the fire wall I think it will look better.

9. adambeevers

adambeevers New Member

Great thread fella love the fact your doing as much as possible yourself! Props!

10. pj9ar

pj9ar Member

thanks dean yea i've had lots of interviews this last week and a half so hopefully i will have another job soon.

right in between the the job hunting i have made some progress.

got the inside the primed

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

sprayed a black metalic base coat

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

and then lacquer

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

had to repair one of the wings as i cut through it trying to remove it.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

primed and sealed the underneath

[​IMG]

and then underseal

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

now its all sealed hopefully that should give it a new lease of life im hoping for another 10years :)

fitted the fuel tank

[​IMG]

and the wings

[​IMG]

then got the wiring, dash, seats and steering wheel fitted

[​IMG]

thats all for now i just have a few thing left to do and then it will be moved to a drive way.

next i need to decide on a kit im torn between 2 the supermade kit and the bn type 2

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

which one do you guy prefer?

11. Bubbleraider

Bubbleraider Member

I prefer the supermade one as it looks cleaner - I don't really like the hover craft style :/

12. chodjinn

chodjinn Active Member

Rocket bunny ftw! By the way, what brand of underseal did you use? I was just gonna use sealant on the seams, undercoat/primer then stonechip the lot.

13. wigwambam

wigwambam Member

Stick at it lad you're almost there! This car is going to be awesome. So satisfying driving around in something you yourself have saved from the brink too. Another vote for Rocket Bunny here.

14. Dastardly

Dastardly Member

I prefer the supermade.

15. dustyjake

dustyjake Member

Supermade 100%

16. diamondsink

diamondsink Kyouto Drift

17. pj9ar

pj9ar Member

Looks like the supermade is the most popular then lol it was the my first choice untill i saw the other car above which confused me, no one prefers the BN TYPE 2?

the process i used was etch primer then normal primer, a urethane selant on the seams then gloss black then i used the 3m underseal with that spray gun.

[​IMG]

and then i used waxol with the gun to spay it in all the chassis rails, sills and any other cavities.

Thanks bud yea i cant wait to drive it, i was sitting in it today playing with the steering making engine noises like a little kid lol :wack: i know its sad but its been a long time since ive sat it.

18. pj9ar

pj9ar Member

Ah finally i some one for the bn

19. supernova-dw

supernova-dw Active Member

Any updates on this at all?

20. pj9ar

pj9ar Member

No updates other than ive moved the car on to the driveway, so praying for good weather from now on.

Im really busy atm as I found a new job [emoji1]. I start on monday, I will be working for a company that reproduces the jaguar c type and the ss100. http://www.suffolksportscars.com/
    So im excited about that, hopfully I will beable use some machines there to make some cool parts but will have to test the waters first.