E36 modified hubs can it Break?

Thread in 'Technical Questions' started by dke30, Jul 5, 2015.

1. dke30

dke30 New Member

so i have cutted my e36 hubs about 10mm and zero Ackermann for my E30 Drift Missile and welded it together all my Friends thinks that this is super stupid and very dangerous.. i have preheated it and MIG Welded it, im not a professional Welder but i have Welded a lot of things like my D2 Track Coilovers.. and nothing is breaking there.

Is there some crash happend from breaking modified Hubs?

Some Pics for you Guys (need smaller Tyre´s they scraping)

Greetings from Germany

[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

#1 dke30, Jul 5, 2015
    Last edited: Jul 5, 2015
  2. Leno

Leno Member

Unless you get it x rayed you won't know if it's a decent weld..

3. spaniel

spaniel bigballs small brain

Should be ok unless you hit a kerb

4. zornyan

zornyan Guest

Wouldn't trust it, just remember if you ever killed someone because the welds failed. You would be liable, even on a track, they could sue you for every penny you earn for the rest of your life

5. Andy318ti

Andy318ti Active Member

Looking at the weld, it looks ok.
    I presume the man above either has wisefab money or no clue about welding.
    Yeah you'll not be able to tell fully without an xray. But if you felt you welded it good it'll be fine. It certainly won't fail without a fucker of a hit.

6. Ruishy1

Ruishy1 Active Member

The welds looks like it has decent penetration, and enough of it to support the arm.
    FWIW welds are often stronger than the original material when done right.

7. dke30

dke30 New Member

Thanks!

8. urchy107

urchy107 Member

Get a piece of 10x50mm bar and cut it to fit in between where the ball joint bolts in and the steering arm. if you look up urchfab hubs you will see how I did mine, your welcome to copy them, Iv tried to destroy one and failed, They are good and strong. Its better to go way over the top with this sort of thing. Cheers

9. urchy107

urchy107 Member

[​IMG][/URL][/IMG]

10. dke30

dke30 New Member

Nice will "copy" that! ;)

11. zornyan

zornyan Guest

No where near wisefab money, just don't fancy being raped in prison by a big black guy for killing someone with my car because "I wanted more lock cheap y0!"

I dunno but I think some things are fucking stupid, end of the day cast hubs like that may look fine, but it's not impacts that will break them immediately. It's stress cracks, the guys already admitted he's not a professional welder and without an xray NOBDOY knows how well it's penetrated.

It won't take " a fucker of a hit" literially stress cracks could happen over a few weeks and something as small as a pothole will sheer it off.

Like I said it's your choice, but I wouldn't trust s car with cut and shut suspension.

12. Andy318ti

Andy318ti Active Member

Wipe your fanny and stop being so dramatic.

13. zornyan

zornyan Guest

Sorry I forgot the new "thing" is to be as pikey as possible. I'm sure you're mad drift skills mean you need all that extra lock because your competing in a professional level competition right?

I mean it's not like me and thousands of other people drift quite easy with cars like mx5s that have half the lock of beemers and stuff..

14. Andy318ti

Andy318ti Active Member

Go and wank over the sound of your soarer, if cut hubs are pikey how do you recon boys that drift bmws in competitions gain lock? Not everyone can afford mega lock kits.

Out of interest have you ever seen a broken cut hub?

15. zornyan

zornyan Guest

Yes I have actually, infact there's several topics on here from the past where people have had them fail, and over on trampdrift too.

Not from impacts "I hit a small kerb" was one. You clearly have no knowledge of these things, or metallurgy.

Please do some basic research before you kill someone.

P. S I own an e36 and an s13, neither have needed.more.lock, generally people like yourself try to get as much lock as possible to make up for slow ass entries and lack of skill. Hence why in my mx5 I used to be going far quicker in and out of corners because the "mad l0ck y0! " crew just sat on the lock stops.

16. dke30

dke30 New Member

Well i drift my Main E30 with 130km/h around the Nürburgring Nordschleife! and sometimes im on lock limit, so i test cutted hubs on my Drift Missile and not for slow entries ;)

[​IMG]

17. Andy318ti

Andy318ti Active Member

Apologies got you confused for a different knob.
    So your dk then cos you have no need for extra lock. I have more lock because I exceeded the limit of my car and wanted to push more angle, I'm not the little idiot you take me for.
    And I ment have you seen a broken cut hub in front of you? Yes there are the internet stories but how many to how many sets of cut hubs are out there?
    And " not from impacts" but "I hit a small kerb" is an impact. However small the kerb is.
    They if welded with a decent welder (ideally tig'd) that can get the heat in and melt the two parts together will take a large force to break.
    Also helps if the right pre and post heating procedures are followed due to being cast.

18. zornyan

zornyan Guest

Regardless will it pass an MOT? No because it's deemed dangerous.

Their cast not forged which is the worst to try and weld, you don't know the quality of iron used in the casting process, regardless of how good you think the weld is its still weak enough to stress fracture.

Most people on here don't need extra lock, fuck most people on here couldn't drift an mx5. I guarantee you haven't got the need for extra lock, unless you're doing 100mph entries or mashing 4th-5th gear then no

You're using it as an excuse for your poor driving.

19. Andy318ti

Andy318ti Active Member

Why would I use lock to hide poor driving?
    If your a drift hero you must do 100mph 4th/5th gear entries so maybe you should get some lock.

20. zornyan

zornyan Guest

Because more lock just means when you do slow ass entries people can stop a spin. 99% of people on here couldn't drift to the max with standard lock.

I'm sick of this pathetic argument. Just remember in the slim chance it did ever fail, you would be liable for killing/crippling someone for life.