Jzx love affair Part ii - 81 Cresta

Thread in 'Project Cars and Builds Threads' started by niall14a, Feb 15, 2014.

1. Gazelle

Gazelle Well-Known Member

That 81 looks the bollocks!!
    Nice job on the wings aswell.....

2. niall14a

niall14a Member

Cheers man. Looking forward to just getting it out and being able to drive it!

3. tidytobes

tidytobes Manfoot Kerb Magnet

Can't wait to see this finished Niall, keep seeing little pictures crop up, would still love to add an 81 to the collection..

4. niall14a

niall14a Member

Collected her from Flipside auto. Couldn't be happier with the it. The amount of time and extra work flip put in is unreal. Anyone looking for this kinda work done he's your man. Serious pride in his work.

Only have one decent photo of it completely done. It still needs spacers and lowered a touch more.

[​IMG]

5. Van_Denton

Van_Denton Member

Wow, totally awesome man. How much was the shipping for the wings, I tried to get some wings form the states but the shipping was gonna be 700 dollars!!

Cant wait to see more.

6. niall14a

niall14a Member

I got them through jesse steeter, I can't remember exactly how much the shipping was but I know customs screwed me for more. If you send him an e mail he'll be able to give you a breakdown of the costs.

7. niall14a

niall14a Member

8. jeepy

jeepy Member

love that chassis <3

9. niall14a

niall14a Member

Couple of bits on the way from Japan to sort out the front end. Tie rods and some Silk Road rca's.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

10. cptsideways

cptsideways Active Member

I have a set of adjustable TCA's for this in my shed if your interested

11. Feedo

Feedo Member

1 of my favourite 4 doors very nice car dude

12. niall14a

niall14a Member

Gearbox started to whine in this so sent it off to get checked and it turns out it was on the way out. Got a reconditioned box and nearly new exedy twin plate clutch, lightened flywheel and ARP studs.

[​IMG]

New box in

[​IMG]

Carrier bearing is done so that's getting done too

[​IMG]

13. niall14a

niall14a Member

This is nearly done... Ecu decided to shit itself so we have installed a jzx90 ecu with a custom loom and a hks f con v pro to make sure it's fuelling ok. It's been mapped and everything is as it should be, only made 280bhp at the flywheel which without a front mount etc isn't too bad on a near 25 year old engine that's still on the original ceramic turbos.

[​IMG]

Also picked up a set of rear arms from the lads in Minty Fresh

[​IMG]

And just picked up a set of Yanack lca's, tension rods and uprated rack bushes

[​IMG]

Just a few small issues to sort like headlight adjusters broken and some other small jobs and it'll be out on the road for the summer. Also picked up some new wheels, I'll wait to they're on and she's sitting properly before any photos

#53 niall14a, Apr 24, 2016
    Last edited: Apr 24, 2016
  14. Gooly

Gooly Member

So cool! Wish there were more X81s in the UK

15. Doritofu

Doritofu Active Member

AH! HKS FCON! I got one of those for my FJ20, how did yours' go cause I'm scared shitless that when I try to wire mine in it will blow everything up.
    Also, wicked awesome car bro, oldschool JDM is hands down the best.

16. niall14a

niall14a Member

Cheers guys. The f con was just plug and play as I had a harness for it from the old f con I took out, had to upgrade it as no one had the software to map it. You can buy the hardness' from Japan brand new.

17. niall14a

niall14a Member

Arms and some new wheels fitted too

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

18. Sea Squirrel

Sea Squirrel Jeff Mills Is Watching!

KFD Arms? Got these for my 81 (Stav's old one). How do you find the adjustment on them?

The guys at Dark Slide Automotive have been working on the knuckles for mine and have sorted the lock nicely, just working on a rear knuckle now. Got it to the point where it runs basically zero Ackerman and can go to flat with the rack without giving over centre issues, just trying to find wheels that don't catch on things which allow it to work. If you're after some more lock definitely give them a shout, the stuff from the states for these isn't as good as it should be. Bends easily.

19. niall14a

niall14a Member

Oh really? I didn't think anyone on this side of the world was developing knuckles for them, I've seen them on yahoo auctions but they're pretty expensive, especially when it's only a road car. The new arm set up on the front has improved the lock a bit already. I will give them a shout for sure though! The KFD arms seem pretty decent, very strong for sure. The adjustment I can't tell you much about yet as they were only fitted and lined.

The car went through the test last week, failed first time on emissions but that was as a result of previous owner taking the centre out of the cat! It's driving really well now, just standard power but running sweet as a nut, hard up through all the revs.

I'm taking it to get suspension properly set up as it was just lined for the test, needs lots more low with the 16's on which is going to mean the exhaust will be dragging the ground on pretty much any flat surface so that's the next job, custom exhaust.

[​IMG]

#59 niall14a, May 17, 2016
    Last edited: May 17, 2016
  20. Sea Squirrel

Sea Squirrel Jeff Mills Is Watching!

It's a modified stock knuckle rather than a forged one but it's nicely reinforced and the geometry is good, plus they are going to make up some spacers to help with bump steer. This is the setup now on mine; modified knuckles, rack moved forward, is300 tie rod ends, extended lower arms (30mm). It doesn't go over centre even with the knuckle flat to the lower arm as you can see so the limiting factor is clearance on everything, plus it has zero Ackerman and doesn't dramatically increase steering speed mid lock like some knuckles.

Photos are during all the development phase, don't have anything more recent I'm afraid

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

And this shows how flat it stays during use.

[​IMG]

We're going to go wider with the lower arms, try and flatten it out on lock a bit more as the front geo on these is pretty good. That said, long term be potentially looking to swap to s-body gear as it should bolt up easily. Could run Wisefab or something then

#60 Sea Squirrel, May 17, 2016
    Last edited: May 17, 2016