S13 rear hub removal with a difference

Thread in 'Technical Questions' started by random13, Jul 23, 2015.

1. random13

random13 Member

Long story short. I need to remove my rear hub. However. The wheel is still in place (wheel stud that feels too attached to the nut)

Is it possible to remove the hub and wheel together?

2. yogi bear

yogi bear Active Member

So why can't you remove the wheel nut? I'd much rather that than remove a hub whilst attached to the wheel

3. random13

random13 Member

The wheel nut and stud spin together, I believe the splines on the bolt have rounded so it no longer grips

4. Ollie

Ollie LOOSE!

Can you pop to someone with a welder? You may be able to get it on a ramp, crack off and remove the bolts for the caliper that side - move it out the way, rotate the wheel until the back of the problem stud is exposed and have them put a tack or two on it. Then you could remove the wheel nut?

5. random13

random13 Member

Would love to. However no mot at the moment >.< need to put new tyres on for the mot. The viscous circle!

6. Ollie

Ollie LOOSE!

Well you're going to need a fucking great big bar or a gun to undo the nuts that hold the bearing to the knuckle, you'll have to undo your handbrake cables too and you're going to have a hell of a job pulling the driveshaft out because you cant give it a tap from the wheel side.
    Your MOT station cant do the welding / tyre fitting? Nobody does mobile welding in your area?(I bet they do).

You're making life more difficult than it has to be.

7. random13

random13 Member

The hub nut is undone. Not making life more difficult but I don't really fancy driving 5 miles on a knackered tyre or with out mot.

8. immy21

immy21 Member

Remove the driveshaft, that should give you access to the 4 bolts holding the hub on.
    Unscrew them a little then bash them to knock the hub free, then remove screws/hub.
    I think that should work.

#8 immy21, Jul 25, 2015
    Last edited: Jul 25, 2015