Disused airfields with access?

Thread in 'Drifting Chat / Pictures / Videos' started by lewdludelover, Nov 28, 2012.

1. lewdludelover

lewdludelover Member

2. mazdachris

Dude, seriously, take on board what people are saying to you. Go to a practice day. That's the answer, and the only one you'll get. There are no 'drift friendly' places with an 'understanding' because anywhere that was ever like that soon got into problems with local residents, the law, local councils, etc etc. Because the drift community is sadly full of people who just want to be able to do everything for free.

Put down the phone book, and just get yourself along to a proper drift day. You'll have a great time, learn a lot about drifting, and you won't end up having your car impounded or being shot by a landowner.

3. Stavros

Stavros Active Member

And in case you wondering, there's really nowhere good for street drifting round here either, trust me, put a fair bit of effort in to looking/trying over the years.

Few good places if only there was no traffic/people/houses near by, but there is, even if it's 4am, so it's no good.
    There's pretty much nowhere you can stay for more than a few minutes without the 5-0 appearing, and hit and run type streeto is no good for practice, that's purely only useful if you already shithot and can nail something badass first time.
    Few crapper places you would last a bit longer before someone came, but there's no getting away and they a bit shit anyhow.

Fuck, found somewhere (by pure luck, was unlocked for once) the other day just to teach the Mrs the basics, and despite it being the most secluded useful place I can think of around here, within 10min someone from a building a long way away was shining a lazer pen at us (and bearing in mind this was a car with a standard exhaust and was wet, so it wasn't noisy), and 10min after that two spastics in modified Clio's suddenly appeared to watch... :wack:

It's not like say, London, where there are literally miles of an industrial area with no houses in sight, so at times is 100% dead. Around here no matter where you are you're within 100m or so of something happening, be it houses, traffic, whatever.

I was spazzing around here on the street and carparks in tuned RWD cars for probably 8 years before I did a proper drift practice day, and I thought I could drive a RWD car ok. WRONG, I couldn't do shit.
    I learnt more in the first 30min of a proper practice day than all them years caning around on streets and carparks.

Practice days = Winner.

#23 Stavros, Nov 28, 2012
    Last edited: Nov 28, 2012
  4. lewdludelover

lewdludelover Member

^^^cheers stavros, you see the issues presented to a gloucesteshire resident with an interest in drifting who is not into clio chavtic antics.

Practice days at the top of the xmas list it is.

5. Qwertypolk

Qwertypolk Member

I feel Lewd's pain. Perhaps I have different reasons for not wanting to do a drift day straight away, but personally, I'd like some practice before I turn up to a public event and with little idea on what I'm doing. I sure as hell wouldn't learn to play the guitar at an open mic night, why would I learn to drift in the public eye?
    So long as there's consideration for others who might be affected, local residents, land owners etc. then I see nothing wrong with finding a place to hoon around and practice.
    Just my 2p, though take it with a pinch of salt as I've never been anywhere to play with my RWD car, and I don't even own a working drifter yet.

6. Stavros

Stavros Active Member

Nobody will laugh, in fact nobody gives a toss, as practice days are for learning and everyone couldn't drift once.
    Maybe 40% of people at a DWYB day have never drifted in their lives. Fuck, more like 80% if you count the 40+ people there doing 'Drift Experience' days.

You'd only look a plank if you turned up all cocky thinking your the boy because you can pull some good skids in your local carpark, and then come crashing down when you realise those skids have taught you nothing about how to drift.

I reckon there would be about 50% more RWD car owners drifting if they wasn't all so scared that people might laugh at them for learning, as nobody will/does.

And yeah everyone would fucking love a free practice area, but the reality is there aren't any.

7. mint

mint touch my fruit

Your not alone on thinking that - I used to, My friends here also think the same.

However.. AFTER you do go to a drift day, you will then see that you were wrong. Trust me because I was like you :p Didnt want to fuck up, spin etc in front of others etc.. However its not like that. The reality is though, when you go on track (After street drifting) you realise you can go harder, quicker, when you spin you dont hit tree's, you dont need to avoid deer, other traffic. No concern for police, or disturbing others, or being reported.. Seriously, I know i know i know what your saying.. but eventually, you'll re-read this and say.. "Oh yeah.. They were right."

I cant sit here and pretend like I dont or havent done streeto.. I dont think many could; however now.. after being on various tracks.. as much fun as it is to go blast up and down mountain hairpins etc, the track is the place to be to practice.. then you take what you have learned.. back home to the hills. Or thats how I see it.

After Teesside; A bunch of us from Minty.Fresh went up to a local mountain .. where we went alot harder than previous due to seat time on track.. ended up ditching an s14 that night :p was good fun. (Its still not back on the road :S )

Oh and stav's right, no one cares about people spinning etc.. especially other drivers. Everyone is too busy either having fun, or changing wheels/tyres to be watching others..

#27 mint, Nov 29, 2012
    Last edited: Nov 29, 2012
  8. kieran_e1

kieran_e1 In need of practice

this is so true. when i was teaching at knockhill we had a group of guys who turned up and acted like they were the dogs bollocks. took them one lap and nearly stacking the car to realise they knew fuck all about how to drift properly and eventually they started listening and got the idea.

one of the best things about almost all the Uk practice days are that there is almost always someone around who can give pointers and help along those who are just starting.

you just need to ask ( and be willing to listen too )

9. Taxi

Taxi Skid Bitch SKID!!!

Lewdludelover, get yourself over to jpoc.co.uk

Noel Phipps owns it, and every year they get throckmorton airstrip all to the club!

Go drifting, racing anything you want, within limits of course. But for £15 all day play its well worth it! They call it, race wars, as the club caters for all enthusiasts. Drifters, drag, sprint....

Only down side is they only do it twice a year! But that's twice more than your doing now :thumbs:

They get some really interesting cars too, like this z3 with a ls3 wedged in it!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

They get alot of cars turn up to and haves huuuuuuuuge convoy up to the strip!

[​IMG]

10. lewdludelover

lewdludelover Member

@taxi: I was there this year mate! loved it. I was in the white and black Honda prelude. Beat some really tuned up cars that day. I also had a passenger in a liner on the figure 8. was jokes for sure. laughed my arse off all day.
    I spent a little time over your LS3 powered beast. it sounds great and showed up a couple of cars as i remember.

I think that day put the idea into my head that there is more to driving than finding the perfect line and hammering every corner like it raped your mum.

Im not bothered about looking like a twonk at a learning day if i'm honest. I have seen and heard AMMO's efforts and enjoyed his journey so far, and I am for sure happy to go learn in the safe environs provided by such organised days. I think this thread was a hopeful tester to see if the 'sport' had become that yet or was still seen as vandalism of a kind :no:
    also if there were any of the space i remember being so available in my youth :wack:progress eh?
    racewars is great, i would recommend to anyone.

11. TheDriftLane

TheDriftLane Member

i myself have came across this thread still searching for such a place, also from Gloucestershire and for me i simply cant afford to spend £50-£80 for a days driving on top of tyres and petrol (newborn and first house purchase) im still looking for that empty carpark or disused airfield. my problem with Birmingham wheels is there isnt much leeway if you do fcuk up, straight into a barrier and as my car is also my daily i cant risk that :S not yet anyway. keep looking and let me know if you have found anything in the last three years

12. Ollie

Ollie LOOSE!

Drifting is not for you at the moment then. You have a newborn and a house to be dealing with and even if you don't crash your daily drifting it, you'll certainly break something at some point. If you can't afford the time, inconvenience and parts to deal with such a situation right now then sit tight and wait for your situation to change for the better. Definitely no mythical free to drift open playgrounds popped up over the last few years thats for sure.

13. spaniel

spaniel bigballs small brain

Even if there was no one would talk about it here

14. Stavros

Stavros Active Member

If you can't afford that, then just don't drift.

I don't compete in Formula 1 as I can't afford to.

Pembrey drift days are prob as close or closer to you than Brum wheels too, and 10 times better.

Even IF you found an empty carpark or airfield (you wont, anywhere remotely open but not used is blocked off to stop pikeys camping on it), the noise made would attract attention so you'd not last 10min until someone binned you out of it.

15. mint

mint touch my fruit

DriftLane; You got a baby though, and a house, If you wanted to drift, you should of covered up and bought a tent. Cause drifting; can rape money. Us up here have to spend like £150 on fuel to do a drift day, plus tyres, plus food, Its as cheap or expensive as you make it, however I dont think your gonna manage if you cant afford the fuel to get there, As soon as you crash (Because you likely will) and bend shit.. cars broke, as is your wallet bro :(

Or just save up like fark, sell shit to fund a drift weekend event and you'll get loads of seat time. Also; no one cares how anyone else drives at drift events, if your worried about what people think; then thats your own internal problem to fix. As people are so self focused on their own drift day; car and tyres, that half the time you only get to exchange a few words with friends you havent seen in ages.

#35 mint, Jul 26, 2015
    Last edited: Jul 26, 2015
  16. TheDriftLane

TheDriftLane Member

i didnt see people had responded, im not super broke and dont get me wrong i love being a dad wouldnt change that for the world but drifting is something ive had an interest in for years. i just want to have a bit of fun and only having a 1.6 it cant handle much more than a round about or a bit of car park fun. the plan is to drop an m50b25/28 but im not kidding myself this wont happen for a year or two which is why i bought a solid base so it will last that time. average repairs and replacements from drifting i can afford, i just cant afford to write the car off. next year a bonus will be in the payslip and my partner will be given her own car, at that point i can concentrate on modding and not giving too much of a shit about damage , at this point i will be joining you gents at events. untill then id like to find somewhere local just to practice the basics

17. beetlejuiced

beetlejuiced New Member

Do you know any places around Peterborough that have drift practice days other than Santa pod, Birmingham Wheels and Essex Arena?
    Let's say within 100 miles radius.
    Thanks for help.