A quick word on importing cars

Thread in 'Other Chat' started by initial_j, Nov 11, 2015.

1. Swampy442

Swampy442 Active Member

You want modded cars, Lead Car is one of my favourite sites to browse :- スãƒãƒ¼ãƒ„カー専門店 CarShop LEAD -

As the man said above, good cars cost good money, even in Japan. Although Ive never used them, Jurgen at JM Imports in Newcastle has an excellent rep from everyone whos used them, and I know quite a lot.

2. Ed

Ed Anti-Dibs

Yeah, obviously there are the tried and tested people, but what if these guys on wastebook are genuine amd are trying to get into the business? Selling cars dirt cheap to establish a name for themselves?

What I'm asking is what is the safest way of paying them?

3. Autospecs

Autospecs JDM Car Export

As said lots of dick shits on mummies computer trying to be importers now that the Russian hackers have got into the auctions sites, any wank bag can pretend, but that is coming to a grinding halt soon enough, the auctions know what is happening and the only people who should have access are those who are real members. USS for example are closing the door with in six months.

TO BE A REAL AGENT IN JAPAN:
    You must have a registered office in Japan, you must have Japanese speaking staff in Japan, you must be licensed by the Japanese Police, you must have a minimum of 2 people who own property in Japan to Guarantee you to the auctions, pay the auctions a bond and then the auctions may consider approving you as a member.

So someone who isn't in Japan selling cars is using a 3rd party agent, so you are paying a middle man and dealing with some one who probably has no investment in the game , doesn't understand the auction sheets and is only trying to make a quick buck and will cut n run at the first sign of trouble.
    If the person is a real outfit they will have and investment, they will have premises, they will also have various licenses and be tax registered in the country they are trading.

Cant wait for the auctions to close the door on all these pretenders, using hacked illegal data, ever heard of copy right, privacy etc. Don't get caught using illegally obtained data, and don't get caught buying from some spotty prick who has no idea about nuttin.

Anyway the original and still the best place to shop is Japanese used cars - Japanese used car imports direct from Japanese auctions and you can rely on what other members of this forum have said take a read http://www.driftworks.com/forum/jap...sedcars-com-client-feedback-testimonials.html more than 22 years in the game in Japan, shipped thousands of cars over the years to thousands of happy people all over the world. That alone speaks for itself.

Anyone on here selling cars as a business needs to be a Trader paying Driftworks for the privilege and they will display the Gold Trader Logo.

#23 Autospecs, Dec 3, 2015
    Last edited: Dec 3, 2015
  4. initial_j

initial_j Made guy

Amen! Put much better than i possibly could!

not wanting to try and shit on anyones business, as this could be completely legit and in which case ill remove the link but an example:
    https://www.facebook.com/Garage-34-imports-669071659895806/timeline

That keeps catching my eye on facebook as seems to be all over my news feed. Seem to be selling cars very cheap, however no reviews or previous customers other than those who are awaiting cars. Could be a new company with great intentions starting up but just rings alarm bells for myself. I am happy to be wrong on this but doesnt add up to me.

#24 initial_j, Dec 3, 2015
    Last edited: Dec 3, 2015
  5. Ed

Ed Anti-Dibs

I guess we will see in 2 months if those cars turn up! Although if it is a scam those reviews are obviously fake.

6. C35Rob

C35Rob Member

church!

however, there are clearly people trading for profit on here who aren't gold traders.

7. Autospecs

Autospecs JDM Car Export

If that is the case then Driftworks need to clean it up, we pay for gold traders status to be able to trade on here legitimately, for some one else to walk in and trade for free is BULLSHIT>

8. initial_j

initial_j Made guy

I don't work for driftworks but do help moderate the forum, anyone feels someone is trading without permission report it and I'll get right on it

9. docwra

docwra Active Member

10. yogi bear

yogi bear Active Member

This is true. I see more and more cars that are litterally straight off the boat. Some registered, others not. Being turned around for a profit

11. JasonER34

JasonER34 Member

A good friend of mine has a 4dr r34 en route through this chap. Paid a 50% deposit up front, set sail earlier this week and is due to UK docks early January IIRC, wth the remaining balance paid any time pre-collection. The seller/trader has also agreed to do a full underseal for a very reasonable price, and has also sourced/bought and will be having painted and fitting before collection a genuine optional Nissan spoiler (brand new) for a good price too. It all seems good and legit so far. The car has had/passed its pre-shipping inspection and the buyer was sent dozens of extra photos on request.

I'll update this thread as and when I see the car in the flesh and hopefully the whole deal has gone well.

He has sold other imported 4dr r34's already this year that I've seen through FB

12. Damien

Damien ~London Folk~

I believe that was from "garage34"... Someone on here was recently fucked around by them. Luckily they got their coin back through the bank.

A few others like "driftnutz"... The name says it all really... Is just a lad buying cars off another Facebook importer who've developed a bit of a following and reselling them before they've even landed.

Admittedly I bought a few cars in the past year from one of these Facebook importers and each time they've shrugged and blamed the fact they they're buying them remotely and are essentially a broker so can't take the blame etc.
    Be ya best mate until they've got your money and then "not our problem mate".

Various problems from chronic rust to fucked shocks, missing turbines from the turbo, leaking injectors, sellotaped fuel lines, unmentioned panel damage and my favourite... A fucking Honda odyssey fuel pump in a gtr. No surprises how terrible that ran.
    Pretty much anything to get the car "drivable" and sold. Some of which were apparently grade 3.5s.

As Jack and others have said, spend wisely, if it's cheap-theres normally a reason behind it. Buy from a reputable and we'll established business who offer after sales support.

13. BreadBin

BreadBin Rough Tonguer

My workmate just had an R34 GT-t imported by a lad down in Bodmin, when he got there to pick it up it was a completely different car!
    He paid for a low mileage (~75k km) standard and tidy car and got one with 100k more kms, a bit scruffy and to be fair some decent mods. He did negotiate some money off but was left pretty miffed about the whole deal.

14. yogi bear

yogi bear Active Member

Sounds about right for most modified imports. The Japanese are some of the worst bodge up fuckers I've ever seen. Arena Essex cars.
    And a grade 3 car ain't a nice car. Even grade 4's usually leave something to be desired.

15. Autospecs

Autospecs JDM Car Export

Buying grade 4 cars blind is why you get fucked up, even grade 4 cars need to be looked at, and we reject many.

That is why you need a reliable outfit on the ground who can understand the sheet, the auctions and what they are looking at, checking the stuff over.

We know what we are doing and don't just launch into the first one that comes along.

It's a big boys game, not something for a beginner to dive into.

16. GETitSIDEways

GETitSIDEways Mutha Funka

^^^Sure is....Totally correct, without a man on the ground or a good rep looking after your affairs, its a matter of time^^^
    We are seeing an increasing number of terrible cars coming through, especially the modded stuff.
    There are garages/sellers in Japan that will stick cars together with an aim to fool the inspectors and prospective buyers with zero comeback...The inspectors have a very limited amount of time to inspect and cannot pull the car apart on your behalf or enough time to dig around, hence why you will need a company or person to validate the sheet.
    Not to sell our services; however there is a reason why importers/garage's like ours sell cars at a higher price than your facebook bedroom Alan Sugar's...8 out of 10 cars need re-work before using on the road and will need a whole host of jobs and fixes before being fit for sale.

I know this because I am the guy that has to fix them, I have seen some horrific stuff...and the pics to prove...;-)

17. identiti

identiti Member

I recently purchased an R32 Gtst type M through "Garage Sinister" as my first import and the whole process has been nothing less than professional and informative.

All questions and queries were swiftly responded to in good time I was also given at least fifty photos of the vehicle + vehicle survey before the sale was agreed, so I was completely satisfied with the level service provided to me.

I picked the car up today from Soton docks, which was surprisingly quick process and I was also met by an employee from Garage Sinister to hand over the vehicle to me and also took the time break down the paperwork for registration and I was certainly impressed with the service.

I am now one very satisfied owner of a R32 GTST!

18. Joss

Joss Member

Having seen David Cooper (Daze) working his way into BDC and picking up OPJP as a sponsor, plus OPJP's association with a few other company's such as Kinzuru Kits, plus the fact they're developing their own parts, PLUS the fact they're doing exactly what has been mentioned on here - securing their own Japanese premises/office, I felt they'd be a sensible option to try.

We discussed a budget over the phone and so far they've been very helpful and professional. A car has been sourced and once the auction sheet was translated and we discussed it's condition I decided I was happy to purchase.

I believe it's about to go on a boat - I will update when the car lands but I've heard nothing but good things about OPJP and so far I have no reason to say any different!

19. -Tommy.

-Tommy. Member

I also hear nothing but good things about OPJP, know a good few people who have imported really great quality cars from them with straightforward and easy sale.

I'll be using them to import something interesting when the time comes.

20. MaccyD

MaccyD Active Member

I got mine through them and although the price was good there were a few problems but i put it down to them being a new business and needing more experience.

Initially communication was bad to the point i was going to ask for my deposit back (but i won my car that day so was committed) but from there it was pretty smooth. I think they just need to have a bit more of a mechanical mind, though last i heard was theyre trying to employ a mechanic full time.

I had a 4 hour drive home on essentially a disconnected intercooler (to call it a boost leak is an understatement). When i asked about it as the front bumper had been off for repairs (they did a great job here and cant fault them) he said "oh yeah, that was probably the cracked old hoses", if id just been told this when it was seen i would have paid for replacements or brought them and done it myself. Instead i had a 4 hour panicked drive that id bought a piece of shit that didnt work.

Of course their fall back is they cant test drive them. So this means you have essentially no guarantees when it comes to the mechanical condition of the car which to me seems very dangerous. I was also repeatedly told it was the cleanest car theyd seen and i arrive to fag burns in the centre console, scratches on the dash, marks on the sun visors etc, hardly clean.

I like the car and everything but it was 100% not in a salable condition when i collected it and under normal circumstances nobody would have bought it.

As a result, i wouldnt advise people for or against them but they need more experience.

#40 MaccyD, Dec 22, 2015
    Last edited: Dec 22, 2015