180sx RB25 Conversion Help Please?

Thread in 'Technical Questions' started by Ms180, Dec 10, 2015.

1. Ms180

Ms180 New Member

Hi Guys,

I am converting my 180sx CA18DET to an RB25DET.

So far I have gathered that I need:

- R33 front crossmember
    - RB20/30 Gearbox
    - CA18 'Type C' Gearbox Crossmember
    - 40mm Engine mounts
    - Loom/ECU
    - Front mount, custom piping
    - Slim Radiator

What engine mounts have been used in the past? Also, if any of the parts on my list are way off please let me know, or if you've done it completely differently. I'm flying blind here and there's not much info around.

2. Damians1992

Damians1992 New Member

you may need to get a custom prop-shaft made up and you'll need to run electric fans to try keep the engine cool as the viscus wont normally fit,

3. BenRice

BenRice Well-Known Member

Not much info around? The hell? It's one of the most documented swaps on the internet!!!

Slim radiator isn't a good idea, 25's in S13 chassis have trouble cooling and you want to increase it's efficiency not decrease it. Especially with a 180 front due to it's poorer air flow. Ducting from the front bar, around the intercooler, into the radiator helps hugely here.

You want a 42mm alloy CA radiator. Then you can still fit a slim 10" puller fan on the back (inlet side) and 2x 12" pushers on the front. Or a standard R32 GTR radiator (26mm thick) is a good compromise.

If you use an RB20 box the tailshaft should fit if you had a manual behind the CA. The case and bellhousing lengths are different between CA and RB but overall length is the same.

The intake plenum will be close to fouling the bonnet, and snaking the intercooler piping over the engine to the front will be tricky if you're going FMIC. Best bet is to get a replacement top half of the plenum, like a Plazmaman one, that way your factory fuel rail is retained (the greddy copies need aftermarket fuel rails - just another thing to buy, making it more expensive). Or get the throttle body relocated to the front of the plenum (ie cut and shut) like i did.

And enjoy the wiring, or just get a conversion loom.

4. miffy

miffy Member