Filling in V55/5 form to register a Japanese Import. CONFUSION!!!!

Thread in 'Drifting Chat / Pictures / Videos' started by Stavros, Dec 28, 2015.

1. Stavros

Stavros Active Member

As title really. I'm confused as fuck, been years since I've done this shiz.

The car is 13-14 years old, but most the form makes zero sense to me, but I know not much is needed to register it as it's over 10 years old.

What on this form do I actually fill in? I'm well confused.

And how much tax? It's newer than 2001, but with no emissions data, how does that work?

I've got all the Jap de-reg documents etc here.

To confuse things more (maybe?) it was imported to Ireland (to taxes/customs paid there), but hasn't been registered there- Does that make any difference at all?

I'm fucking lost.

#1 Stavros, Dec 28, 2015
    Last edited: Dec 29, 2015
  2. bigdave z20

bigdave z20 Member

You'll need to fill in a NOVA with HM Revenue if you haven't already. That slowed things up for me cuz when it comes to Ireland that doesn't get done like it does in the UK.

Only need to fill in simple things on the v55 like body type, number of seats, engine size. Basically things that are easy to know.

Not sure how your tax will work tbh, just stick 225 in and see what happens maybe?

3. C35Rob

C35Rob Member

pretty much just fill in as much as you can mate, I muddled my way through it myself when I imported my Laurel (people that "know" seem to want to keep the information close to their chest, as if it's the fucking enigma code)

so make, model, engine size, date of first registration etc etc - for the tax category it will be the old 2000cc+ code, can't remember what that is now, but when I did it I phoned the DVLA, had a back and forth of "you need to know the co2 emmissions" "how the fuck do I find that out from nissan in japan?!" then they came back to be and said use the 2000cc+ code (just been to check my V5 - it just says "taxation class PLG")

for the reason exempt from IVA - over 10 years old

you will have LOADS of boxes empty (mostly car trader shit), don't worry about it.

then just send that, your mot, insurance cert, cheque for £55+the tax (6mths or 12) the original de-reg cert from japan and the english translation to them and wait a week or two..

re the tax, ROI is in the european union, so if tax has been paid there it won't need to be paid again, you will however need to send them the proof of this too.

#3 C35Rob, Dec 29, 2015
    Last edited: Dec 29, 2015
  4. mint

mint touch my fruit

All of that really ^ Iv been asked this a few times now and as said, fill it out the bare minimum really. I had to do mine when my car was still in the docks so I had no clue on the dimensions, weights and all that shit.. I just said, White Toyota Chaser with 1JZ ;) Literally the bare min haha but it was legit.

5. Stavros

Stavros Active Member

So despite it never being registered in Ireland (just customs etc paid there), I still need to do that?

6. ianlea73

ianlea73 Well-Known Member

Ye as above I had no clue & just filled out minimum. Have a word with waj786 he helped me with mine & imports a lot. Very nice guy.

7. bigdave z20

bigdave z20 Member

Could be slightly different but I imported my car from Japan into Ireland to be used in Northern Ireland which is in the UK. Ireland doesn't require the NOVA form to be done but it needed to be done for using in the UK.
    DVLA sent my v55 back because I had not filled in a NOVA form. Chopaholic had issues with the NOVA when registering his ps13 too.
    It's basically telling HM rev that it's came from outside of the U.K and is gonna be used on the road. Pain in the hole really.

ALSO...you only get 2 weeks to fill in a NOVA form! Everyday over the 14 days you get fined £5 per day. So put a date close to the day you're sending the form (Just lie) or you'll get fined.
    My car sat for a while due to one reason or another and there was a £500 fine against it. JDM Auction watch sorted it out tho because it was part of their importing duties even though they had never had any issues before (since all N.I's DVLA stuff went to Swansea and not kept here)

#7 bigdave z20, Jan 1, 2016
    Last edited: Jan 1, 2016
  8. Stavros

Stavros Active Member

Well, the NOVA bit was easy it seems, I expected a row about the fact customs were paid as it got to Ireland at least, not to mention a late registration fine, but seems no...

[​IMG]

9. bigdave z20

bigdave z20 Member

Happy days man. Glad you avoided any hassle. Wasn't long ago you brought the car over anyway so there wouldn't be much of an issue anyway.

10. Stavros

Stavros Active Member

Right, car's all registered now, but they didn't send me back an MOT with the new reg on it, just a V5. Does that come separately or what?

11. yogi bear

yogi bear Active Member

The mot you had done has chassis number. That is your current mot. And the certificate issued at the time is valid

12. Clark3y

Clark3y Member

It will come separately.

13. cwoods

cwoods New Member

@ bigdave z20,
    Hi, I'm Ciaran and new to the forum. I've just found it after an eternity of googling.
    That`s exactly the same situation I`m in now. I have a Japanese delight floating this way as we speak, its coming to Dublin port at the end of next month, and will be registered in NI, but the closest UK port available for shipping was Liverpool. How did you go about getting it through customs and out of the port, if you don`t mind me asking. I've registered EU cars here before, though that was using the old VAT 414 form and my local tax office, but I`m familiar with NOVA so that shouldn't be a problem. I haven`t a clue as to what I need to do to get it out of the port. I know I will have to pay VAT and customs charges, but that's about it!