Sudden insurance rise this month?

Thread in 'Other Chat' started by Joss, Feb 4, 2016.

1. Joss

Joss Member

Hi all;

So my insurance is due for renewal on my daily 2000 Volvo V40 1.6 estate.

I'm 20, will be turning 21 in a couple of weeks

I live in a nice area, have 1 year NCD, been driving 4 years.

I did a quote in January out of interest (having just bought the Volvo) and got ~£800 which while being a bit pricey, it's not really rediculous.

My renewal came through yesterday at £2000 from elephant.

Outraged I phoned them and gave them an earful and they couldn't do anything about it, so I said not to renew. I wasn't going to renew anyway as I wanted to wait until after my birthday, which in theory should bring it down.

Just for a sanity check I ran a quick comparison site quote and all quotes were over £1500. Whilst I know comparison sites aren't great for getting the best price they're still a good indicator of who to try directly - but for all the companies in the list to be quoting figures of £1500+ after having a quote a month ago on the same vehicle for half of that figure makes me wonder if somethings going on this month?

Anyone else noticed a sudden hike in prices in February? Or would anyone fancy trying a quick quote for themselves and seeing if they'd be looking at an increase too?

2. sparky_s13

sparky_s13 Active Member

January sales have finished....

Joke its just insurance companies like to pick figures out of a hat, absolute bullshit.

Elephant raped me of £750 just after Christmas when I didn't realise they auto renewed my policy (and added 300 fucking quid to it) I soon rang them and told them to cancel it in which they knocked it back down to previous and offered me monthly payments this time instead of a one off payment.

This is on my daily Passat tdi 130 but my quote for the s14 was EXACTLY the same, go figure....

3. Captain

Captain Member

My missus had this problem yesterday, her insurance went up by a couple of hundred even though she checked it a few days ago and it was cheaper than it is now.
    Im sure they said the prices just fluctuate daily but I've never seen it go that much in a couple of days.
    Your best bet would be to get some quotes online and then just phone up all the company's and tell them you can get it cheaper, that usually works for me :)

4. Joss

Joss Member

Interesting to see its not just me with this problem. It's just a bit worrying as my R34 arrives soon and my quote with flux last summer was pretty sensible... Worried what it'll be like now.

5. sparky_s13

sparky_s13 Active Member

Also I think end of the month is generally cheaper due to sales targets etc so try again at the end of the month

6. Joss

Joss Member

Fair shout

7. Struggle

Struggle Active Member

Ring sky. There shit at answering the phone (up to 45 mins) and there a nightmare when you come to insure another car temporerily but they are way cheaper than anyone else.

8. initial_j

initial_j Made guy

In a day and age where banks are finally being punished for being cunts I really don't get how insurance companies are still getting away with it whilst refusing to show their workings. Can only hope their time will come..

9. Joss

Joss Member

Ran another quick load of quotes using Google Insurance Compare or whatever it's called and got figures of £750 back from the likes of Hastings, but the elephant/admiral group still came back at £1500 minimum.

Very strange indeed.

10. Disco

Disco Hamburger Hinderer

You tried Adrian Flux? I've been with them for 10 years now and they've always been the best for me. S14's, MR2's, E30's always been cheapest with all mods declared etc.

11. big_si

big_si Member

I'm hoping this too. We all blindly pay it, not knowing how it's worked out.

With a bit of luck, they've been screwing us out of money for years and we can all claim a refund like the banks did with PPI. Think a lot of us would be quids in.

I can live with this hope...

12. F51

F51 Member

little tip, if you get insurance set the start date for 5-7 days from the date you take it out. I was told by the girl at direct line that if you want it to start immediately they assume you are desperate and charge more. I reduced mine by near £800!!!! I don't know if there is a sweet spot in time but i think if you can start it 5 days away then it will be much much cheaper.

13. sparky_s13

sparky_s13 Active Member

Also I have mates who work for a well known company and told me all the criteria I needed to get a cheaper quote.

E.g parking on a road makes it cheaper than a residential parking area??

14. TheDriftLane

TheDriftLane Member

insurance is a joke, a friend insures his 350z cheaper than my 316 coupe (£750 compared to £800 although my quotes have jumped to a minimum of £1600 for this oncoming year?????) oh and we are both 20 turning 21

15. LOKISY

LOKISY Member

My girlfriend just had the same issue massive hike in price this month. But could be down to the tax on insurance company's going from 2 to 10%

16. Bricey

Bricey Member

I had that when looking for insurance for my s13, everytime I looked say after a week or so, the prices would be bumped up. I think the more times you look on comparison sites, they record that youre looking and then bump the price up everytime as they assume you desperately need it. Try using an incognito tab where they cant track it as easily.. worked for me :)