Any way of telling what diff this is?

Thread in 'Technical Questions' started by Minimoke, Feb 14, 2016.

1. Minimoke

Minimoke Member

Hey all,
    Got told my S14's diff was looking one legged a few times when I was last at Pod, and I can feel when it's doing that. Often it locks up, especially with a clutch kick. But it's still not right. I changed the oil in it as I don't know what it was last done, old stuff came out pretty dark, replaced it with Fuch's 75W90 fully synthetic. Feels about the same....Didn't think it'd cure it but it was worth a go before anything more drastic.

Before I pull it out, can anyone tell me what diff it is? I'm not sure if you can tell just by the look of it. It's supposed to be a Nismo one; the car's got an R33 rear axle. And since the fluid didn't solve the issue, what's the next port of call for getting it tigher? The Torsen in my mates MX5 locks up much nicer.

Thanks in advance chaps.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. Cades

Cades Member

You wont get any info without taking the backing plate off. Thats just the diff casing. I may be wrong but i don't think thats a skyline diff since the bolts are 3x2, i'm sure skyline is 5x1. Unless someone has changed the half shafts.

3. Minimoke

Minimoke Member

Thought that'd be the case yeah, just wanted to know whether that backing plate was typically on a certain diff before I whipped it out. Since popping that oil in it I've read of a few people using 75W140 instead of the 75W90 I used, saying it's better for heavier use. Is it worth trying that before I go through the hassle of pulling it out, or is it a case of there's worn parts that definitely need changing? Thanks again mate.

4. Cades

Cades Member

Tbh i wouldn't waste anymore oil on it,whip it off and see. Clutch discs inside might be worn out.

5. Minimoke

Minimoke Member

That's the way forward isn't it. Thanks man.

6. diamondsink

diamondsink Kyouto Drift

More than like a stock diff. They are normal s14 shafts.

7. yogi bear

yogi bear Active Member

Exactly what diamond said. Although you can find some skylines with those output shafts and drive shafts. That diff, is 100% a stock uk s14 diff as it still has the temp sensor and the cooler pipes. And my bet is that inside it is a stock vlsd which are basically useless.

8. Minimoke

Minimoke Member

Well this has improved my week no end....Ha. Thanks for the advice chaps, hopefully I'll open it up and have a pleasant surprise eh! It certainly knocks and sounds like a 2 way, so either it's that or a very knackered LSD, haha. Ta again.

9. Minimoke

Minimoke Member

Right, save opening another thread, I got my diff out and took a few pictures. Can anyone tell me what it might be just on face value? The code on the crown wheel is: S48:13 JL 8 8 22. Which a Google of that with diff at the end brought up a Kaaz thread from this forum funnily enough.

[​IMG]

Now I assume I'm going to find some worn clutch packs in there; could anyone offer some advice on the process of swapping these please? Sorry if it's been covered on here before, I haven't been able to find much online.

Thanks again.

10. sparky_s13

sparky_s13 Active Member

Looks stock to me

Also 48 divided by 13 gives you the ratio (3.69) so is likely to be the standard manual diff.

11. Minimoke

Minimoke Member

When you say stock, did they only ever make these with VLSD? I was told it had an R33 Skyline axle, can't confirm that at the moment though.

12. Minimoke

Minimoke Member

Is a safe assumption this is a VLSD now isn't it. I'll try and source some shims for it, is a 6 week wait from Nissan as they've got to come from Japan, if anyone knows somewhere that stocks them that'd be great. Thanks.

13. yogi bear

yogi bear Active Member

I wouldn't bother. Vlsd' are rubbish no matter what you do with them. Weld it. Or a s15 helical diff is a pretty decent diff if you want it to still drive nicely and behave itself.